Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2001 5:23:40 AM EDT
I have a BM Dissapator w/ the AK brake.  I don't like this brake (noise/flash).  I wear hearing protection but still don't like the flame thrower effect.  What options do I have (leagally) with this set up.  The brake is pinned on.  Are they also soldered?  Is there a better brake I can install myself.  What about just removing it and not replacing it with anything?  Does it have a conventional crowned muzzle?  I would like the whole rig to be shorter to fit in a footlocker.  My CAR-15 will fit but I have another use for it.  I know I am limited being it is a post ban rifle. Thanks for your opinions,  Keith
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 5:26:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 7:08:15 AM EDT
[#2]
The Dissipator without any muzzle attachments is not much longer than a 16-inch carbine with a telestock.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=926068&a=6762421&p=34055457&Sequence=0[/img]

FITTER out
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 7:34:37 AM EDT
[#3]
This is a topic that has been covered at Snipercountry.com., albeit they are generally referring to bolt-action .308's.
The recommendation is to have a clean muzzle and use low flash ammo.
The "flash suppressors" are jokingly referred to as "flash enhancers".
The idea of the clean muzzle is to keep the flame going forward rather than making a ring to be seen from a distance.  The plume is much smaller to the naked eye without the device on the end of the bbl.
The other stated benefit is easier access to the muzzle for cleaning (what's that?).

Snipercountry.com:
[url]http://www.snipercountry.com/sniper.htm[/url]
Page on flash hiders:
[url]http://www.snipercountry.com/hottips/FlashHider.htm[/url]

There's a ton of info re rifle construction and configuration, inluding ancillary equpipment.  Great site to look through.
Have fun.

Link Posted: 10/7/2001 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#5]
tapco sells a blast diverter for ak 74 type
muzzle brakes. i think they sell for around
$12. it slips over the brake and is held in place with a set screw or pin.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Flash/sound doesn't make much of a difference if your rounds aren't hitting the target. I love the AK brake on my dissipator. I can hold the rifle in one hand and fire off the entire mag, and the muzzle won't rise at all. I also make sure I shoot only brass cased ammo. If you're using Wolf, while a great ammo maker, you're going to get a lot of flash. I also wouldn't recommend using any steel cased ammo in any AR. The AR isn't built to handle the beating that comes from steel cased ammo, and Russian powders tend to flash a lot more than other powders. Try using PMP or Winchester before you decide to remove the brake.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an AK Brake on my BM Shorty.  It does what it is suposed to do, and that is to reduce (practically eliminate) muzzel climb.  I do not notice any excessive blast or noise.  BUT those near me, or at a shooting table next to me sure do.  I do admit that when shooting prone, on a dirt surface, that thing dose kick-up a lot of dust, and lightweight objects on a shooting table, do get blown away, but like I said, no real discomfort to the shooter.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#9]
My next Bushy will definitly not have a AK brake, too loud for hunting purposes.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#10]
The Tasco Blast Diverter works wonders with the noise.  Upon recomendations from here, I ordered one and got to try it today.  DEFINITELY decreased the ringing in my ears (With ear plugs in).  It's 7.99 plus shipping.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#11]
[url]http://www.tapco.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=MB09001&variation=&aitem=23&mitem=38&back=yes[/url]

Have a look for yourself. [bounce]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top