Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2001 6:44:44 PM EDT
I have a Camillus knife marked "Camillus  NY
1-1970".  I realize it was made in Jan. of 1970 during the Vietnam war, but who would have carried a knife like this?  Everyone? Pilots?  It is not a bayonet.  It has a brown leather sheath with a stone pouch.  The blade is a bowie type.  The butt is hexigonal in shape.  Sorry for the Off topic.  I was just curious about its history.   Thanks, guns762
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Anybody that wanted a knife that wil not hold an edge till sundown. Air Force survival knife.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#2]
AF survival knife,,,,,it took hours to put an edge on it with my fancy knife sharpener,,but now I can shave with it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Presumably this knife also has a saw tooth edge along the spline.

A highly sought after knife when I was in the service in the late 1960’s (at least in my unit).  

The blade is very hard making it is a bear to sharpen.  It also is a bit brittle – I’ve seen bits of the sharpened edge break off.

Beware of the soft, rather cheap leather sheath.  The blade point tends to dig its way out of the sheath.  Newer versions of the sheath have a stamped piece of metal along the bottom to prevent this.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top