Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2001 5:55:12 PM EDT
Borrowed a buddy's chainsaw today to take down a couple little trees in the yard. Hit the dirt a couple times--how bad is that? Does it totally wreck the edge on the chain/blade? Should I get it sharpened for him? If so, do I have to take the chain off, or can I just take the whole saw in? Thanks...
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#1]
If you hit dirt, you dulled the chain.....get it sharpened.........[:)]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]
yes, it dulled the chain.

no, they are not allowed in the boarding area or in your carry on luggage.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
BUT  it DID get passed security.........[whacko]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you hit dirt, you dulled the chain.....get it sharpened.........[:)]
View Quote

Right

And it will have to come off the saw to sharpened.  I do mine on the bow with a Dremel tool, but if it goes to the saw shop, it comes off.

Edited to add:

If you take the chain off, remember which way the teeth are facing.  You can put it back on backwards.  They face AWAY from you when holding the saw for use.

Also be aware of chain tension putting back on.  Too tight will wear out bar and chain.  Too loose, and the saw will throw the chain, with possible interesting results for your hands.  The bottom teeth should just remain in the bar/bow track when you pull the slack out on a cold chain.  It may require additional adjustment as it gets hot.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. I'll make sure to get it sharpened and put the chain back on correctly.

I luv this site...[+]:D]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Wakebrdr,

Hey don't forget that you can get saw sharpening tools pretty cheaply at most hardware stores and do it yourself and then you'll own the tools.  Maybe you can give them to him as a gift for letting you borrow it to insure your future borrowing status.

BTW-Hitting the dirt with the saw will dull it a little but not much, hitting the wood with it also dulls it.  If you just bumped it a couple times I doubt it did much but it will be nice of you to sharpen it for him.

crash.

Quoted:
Thanks guys. I'll make sure to get it sharpened and put the chain back on correctly.

I luv this site...[+]:D]
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#7]
The dirt?  No problem, now if you saw sparks fly yeah it dulled it.  Wire, rocks and nails in trees are what you want to try to avoid.  Just go to the saw shop and get a file that matches the teeth on your chain (little number on the links) and sharpen at the correct angle, and this way you don't have to take the chain off.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 5:58:09 AM EDT
[#8]
BTDT..
Got a straight, round file that matched the teeth and just sharpened them. Cheap, easy and you can be cutting again in 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Some folks have the knack for sharpening chains and some (like me) don't.  If you don't get the two sides the same the saw will not cut straight.  I take mine to the saw shop and for around $5 they put the correct "edge" on the chain for me.  I can buy chains from Walmart for around 2 for $30.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#10]
If you plan on getting (or borrowing) a chainsaw I suggest that you buy the file and guide tool. Don't get the clamp-on one, get the one with the guide on the handle. All you do is match up the pitch (mine give you the option of 3 different angles) to the wood you are cutting.
You do have seperate chains with different pitches for the different types of wood, don't you?
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 11:49:13 PM EDT
[#11]
If you hit dirt you dulled it. Since you borrowed it and have to ask these questions then do not sharpen it your self without the right tools. No one can sharpen a chainsaw chain right with only a file that hasn't had years of experience.

Do the right thing and take the whole saw in for a sharpening before returning it. Give it back to the owner in bad condition and you may never see it again.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 1:37:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I sharpen my own chains all the time.  Then again, I buy a lot of new ones too. [:)]

Get a file and a jig.  Be it on a drill, dremel or whatever.

Or take it in and spend the $5.00 on someone with the right tools to do it for you.  

My rule for borrowing anything, is to return it in better condition then when I borrowed it.  Borrow a car, fill up the tank.  Borrow a chainsaw sharpen the blade, clean out the air filter, and give them your leftover bar oil, mixed gas and fuel oil.

Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:11:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My rule for borrowing anything, is to return it in better condition then when I borrowed it.  Borrow a car, fill up the tank.  Borrow a chainsaw sharpen the blade, clean out the air filter, and give them your leftover bar oil, mixed gas and fuel oil.

View Quote

Stealth, you can borrow my stuff anytime you want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top