Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2001 1:27:50 PM EDT
I am considering the .40 cal.

what cal to you have? Like it?  How reliable is it?

What hollow point ammo will it feed?
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I like this gun so much that I have 6 of them.  All are in .40.  I've shot just about every hollow point and all have fed well.  The only bullet that I've had problems with is my reloads using Rainier bullets.  These bullets are really soft and would jamb on the feed ramp.

I've given all of them, except my two limited edition ones, full workouts in IDPA competition and none have failed me.

Go get one, I know you'll love it.  The only problem you'll have is trying to pick between regular all black, the QPQ, Military or QA models.

Devin
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one in 9 mm.
It's a little wonder, with a trigger pull that Glock can only dream.

I reload using cast bullets (122 grs.) and the problem is that the barrel and the chamber have tight tolerances.
When I was reloading for my Beretta 92 I assembled ammo without crimping, and I had no problems. With walther I had 1 round out of five that didn't allow the slide to close.
When I start to factory crimp (Lee factory crimp)the reloads I got 100% of the round chambered and I increase precision.

I tryed to shoot with both version (40 and 9) and I preferred the 9 mm. because I found the .40 too much nervous. My opinion anyway.

It's a GREAT PISTOL!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an OD/black .40SW that I bought just to have one. Have not shot it but the feel and ergonomics of the gun is really great.

Not to mention that it really makes my brod-in-law envious! heh! heh! heh! [:D]  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 3:59:54 PM EDT
[#5]
OD Green P99 in 40...  LOVE IT!
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#6]
[size=4]ALL I WANT IN THIS LIFE IS FOR THE DAMN WALTHER P22 TO HURRY UP AND BE RELEASED ALREADY![/size=4]

Sheeeeeeeeesh!
I REALLY REALLY can't wait to get one of those things.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I purchased one in .40 S&W about six months ago.  It is, bar none, the best damn pistol I've ever owned.
I changed from the large to the medium grips (It comes with three sizes.) to fit my hand better...a feature I really like.  I put some Meprolight night sights on it...but otherwise, it remains like out of the box.  And out of the box, it outshoots any pistol I've ever owned.
It eats every type of ammo I put in it, including commercial personal defense ammo like Corbons and home-made reloads.
It has a very light and smooth trigger, even for a DA auto.  I like it more than the Glock and that is saying a lot because I like Glock a lot.  I like the feel of the P-99 trigger, since you know exactly when the thing is going to fire.  I really like the smooth exterior, since I use it as my personal defense weapon and there is nothing to catch on clothing or holsters.
Mags are a bit pricey ($35-$42) and hard to find sometimes.  I finally found a couple.  The S&W 99 mags work perfectly.  There aren't any hi-caps available in .40 S&W except to non-LEOs since the pistol came out after the Brady act...(STUPID)...BUT I think you can find some 9mm hi-caps that will hold about 13rds of .40 S&W.  They will probably cost you about $100.
All in all, I consider it to be the finest pistol I have ever owned.  Buy one and I don't think you'll regret it.
Good luck...
[pistol]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I second that about the P22. Should be a very cool little shooter. I have the P99 in .40 cal. and like it alot. Very reliable, and best feeling grip ever made.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#9]
You can get excellent 9mm 16-round factory mags from Robert Johnson (a member here)for $70 shipping included. I bought one from him and received it quickly and in perfect shape. $70 is the cheapest price I have found anywhere!!!!

I have a P99 QA (Quick Action) which has a light and constant trigger pull in 9mm. This pistol has replaced my Glock as primary pistol of choice. Better trigger,ergonomics and is appealing to the eye. It is a tack driver with any ammo.

Warning!!! I have heard on another forum (The Firing Line) that you have to make sure and get one's made in Germany. The .40SW is the only caliber affected. It seems that Walther got behind in production during introduction of this fine pistol and S&W helped out by making slides for awhile until Walther got caught up. Needless to say S&W's quality control didn't match up to Walther's and problems arose.

The Firing Line is infected with P99 owners and are a wealth of experienced info.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#10]
looked at one this afternoon at a gun show.  I found the trigger to be a little snappy after its smooth pull which vibrates the front sight slightly... Does this effect accuracy or bother anyone while shooting?
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the SW99 in .40S&W, which is the S&W takeoff of the P99.  The frame is made by Walther, and virually identical to the P99.  The only difference is the SW99 has a rounded trigger guard and the P99 has a square one.

The ergonomics of the gun are top notch.  My own glocks or the glocks I've held/shot don't even come close.  It eats just about everything but I've noticed that if the feed ramp isn't immaculately clean, it will not feed completely.  A little feed ramp polishing should fix this.

I keep planning on getting a P99 in .40, but I keep putting it off for other guns.  I'm going to pick up a P22 when I can find one.

God Bless Texas  
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
[size=4]ALL I WANT IN THIS LIFE IS FOR THE DAMN WALTHER P22 TO HURRY UP AND BE RELEASED ALREADY![/size=4]

Sheeeeeeeeesh!
I REALLY REALLY can't wait to get one of those things.
View Quote

Amen to that.  Of course we will probably have to wait longer here for the freaking "safety" test.  Luckily Davis arms passed the tests so I don't have to worry about that. [rolleyes]

My bro has a 99 in .40 and I like it a lot.  Only wish is that it was a QA model, as I am not a big fan of double/single.  Might get one for myself eventually.  (so many guns, so poor)
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#13]
When I was at the IL shoot in Ottawa, AntiUSSA was very kind and let me fire his P99 (OD/.40) and I absolutely fell in love with the gun.

Im in the middle of trying to convince my dad to get one, but hes of the mentality "we have one pistol, a shotgun, and I am about to buy an AR15, why would I need another pistol?"

What is the BEST way to convice him to get more of "one type"

Oh, I cant wait for the P22 also, my dad did tell me he would like to have one of those, so atleast thats a sure-thing

I think I convinced him on a 1911, so I cant complain I guess...
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top