Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2001 12:08:04 PM EDT
I bought a new Remington 700 PSS at Knob Creek on Friday. I need a new Scope for this gun.  I have been looking at a few models and want to spend no more than $650 on the scope.  Here are the scopes that I'm looking into buying.

Leupold 6.5 x 20 Mildot $599
Burris FullField 2 6.5 x 20 Mildot $439
SpringFileld 6 x 20 Mildot Illuminated Recticle $649
Tasco SuperSniper 10 power FIXED (Navy Seal Scope) $299

I looked at some NSX scopes at Knob Creek that were sweet, but I'm not going to give $1100 for a scope.  Out of the 4 scopes above which one would you go with.  Does the Leupold have a lifetime warranty?  What do you guys have on your varmit or sniper rifles.  Where is the best place to buy A.R.M.S mounts?  I want one of those throw lever setups on this gun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The Springfields can't be destroyed. I believe they are Hakko manufacture. I have one on my 300WM- Very clear.

Good to see you are willing to fork out some $$$ for optics. Nothing annoys me more than dudes who buy a $900 rifle, then top it off with $99 Wal-Mart special Simmons glass, and bitch that it won't shoot as well as "so-and-so" shoots it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Leupold.

They do have a lifetime warranty, and very much stand behind what they build.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I just received my SA 6-20x56 Gen 3 mildot today.  It looks awesome.  I don't have my rifle yet so I haven't been able to test it.  Looking at the scope it appears to be very well manufactured.  I went into my bathroom and turned the lights off and tried out the brightness settings on the reticle.  Looks pretty cool.  They have a good range of settings so you don't overpower your target in low-light conditions.  This scope gives you more features for the money than Leupold is able to offer, that's why I bought one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Tasco SuperSniper 10 power FIXED (Navy Seal Scope) $299

View Quote

could you clarify this a little bit?  SEALS are using TASCOS?

Crash.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#6]
If I had to guess, I'd say the Navy uses the same scope as the USMC.  Or at least something along those lines.  The USMC is starting to use Leupold Mk IV's.  I'm sure the SEALS use something along those lines.  The Tasco scope says it won some Navy Contract.  I'd ask what year did it win this, who uses it, and what testing did they put it through?

edited to say:  I owned one of the older model 10x42 Tasco SS scopes ( only difference being the lack of side focus).  I found this to be the best scope you can buy for the money.  Well built and good features.  My only complaint is that the clicks on the knobs aren't very audible, and you can't feel them very easily.  Also, the focus knob on the new model is said to be a little stubborn ( hard to turn).  
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Bear Basin Outfitters will beat anything SWFA sells as well as ship it for free if your order is $250 or more and give you another $10 off any Leupold costing over $400. [url]http://www.bearbasin.com[/url]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry I may be flamed for this but the scope really does not matter it's the shooter. If you shoot best with a $50 scope then get it. I have had $50 scopes that I have shoot better with then $500 scopes. Go with what you like.

I think is dumb that people spend more on a scope then the rifle. Things to think of are you going to use this rifle to take out someone who had a hostage? Are you going to use it in competition? If your answer is no top the above why do you need a $500+ scope. This is just something to think about.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 1:31:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Tayous,

I'll have to disagree with you on the cheap scopes.  They are OK for range shots in broad daylight, but if you have to change ranges to something you have not sighted in at, make a twilight shot, maybe drop your rifle to transition to a handgun, etc. they fail.  A lot of the way a scope fits is in the rings--the cheap scopes you were shooting with may have given you the proper height for a cheek weld, but the higher $ scopes might have not done so (they would need a different set of rings).  

However, I will definitely agree with you that the shooter is FAR more important than the scope.  Give a $2k rifle, $2k US Optics Scope, and custom match grade ammo to someone who flinches, and he might as well be using a Crossman 10 pump for all the good it will do him.  However, once you are a very good shooter, the quality of the scope may make the difference in a life or death (or hit or miss) shot.  

M-K
If you really want to learn about scopes, try the .50 shooter board here or at biggerhammer.net.  Shooting at 1000 yds. + under a heavy recoil gun is a good test of a scope.

Of the scopes you listed, I would probably put them in the exact order you did.  The Tasco (aside from being cheap) does have one benefit--it is a fixed power scope--less optic elements to distort or absorb light, and less to go wrong in the scope.

AFARR
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Wal-Fart wants [b][i]YOU![/i][/b] Now go there, because their selection will suit you best.

A $50 scope makes about as much sense as $20 shoes, a $50 saddle, and a minimum wage jockey on a $15,000 race horse. Ain't happening. After you've sunk $500 or more in a good rifle, or maybe you just appreciate well built machinery (sorry, you can never convince me with any story or tales of adventure that trashco, simmons, etc. are anywhere as good as Leupold), you'll want to exploit every bit of accuracy potential that's available. A simmons or any of your other Wal-Fart brands will just not last nearly as long or have the kind of precision as a Leupold or a comparable brand.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Guys, I went with the SpringField Mildot with the illuminated recticle for $499.  This came with FREE butler creek flip caps.  I couldn't beat the price on the scope and if I don't like it, I will put it on EBAY and get my money back if not make a few.  I figured the SA scope was a good scope because this is the standard setup on the Remington 700 tactical rifle.  Now for those rings, would you go with ARMS or GG&G?  What mounts do you have on your 700's?  
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Congrats on the scope and rifle.  In spite of most people's insistence on Leupold scopes, I've been happy with several other brands as well.  I have a Springfield on my Barrett M82, and have been very happy with it.  I hope you enjoy yours as well.

Black Fox
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Black, I hope I'm pleased with it.  Has anyone ever heard of Aurora Tactical?
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Very similar to my post last weekend...  I ended up ordering a Leupold VariX-3 Long Range Target 6.5-20 w/fine duplex $660 for my PSS
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#17]
either a burris 8-32 x 44 signature or black diamond.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Did you ask them? If you ask and present the price, they'll match it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Did some research on the SA scope and found that Hakko makes the scope.  I think they also make the ACOG scope.  BearBasin had the prices beat on some of SWFA scopes by $100
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Good to see you are willing to fork out some $$$ for optics. Nothing annoys me more than dudes who buy a $900 rifle, then top it off with $99 Wal-Mart special Simmons glass, and bitch that it won't shoot as well as "so-and-so" shoots it.
View Quote

[:E]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sorry I may be flamed for this but the scope really does not matter it's the shooter. If you shoot best with a $50 scope then get it. I have had $50 scopes that I have shoot better with then $500 scopes. Go with what you like.

I think is dumb that people spend more on a scope then the rifle. Things to think of are you going to use this rifle to take out someone who had a hostage? Are you going to use it in competition? If your answer is no top the above why do you need a $500+ scope. This is just something to think about.
View Quote

[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]

Spoken like a man who's weapons only get use on the range, and just on the sunny days.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Of the scopes on your list, I like the Leupold and the Tasco SS.

Last I knew, no Springfield armory scope has ever made it through the sniper courses at Storm Mountain without failing, and the glass on every one I've looked through isn't even as clear as the $299.00 Tasco SS10x42 that sits on my Remington VS .308 backup long range rifle.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#24]
If you buy,  you must check out Donnie Pridemore from Sable Co.

He is a LE that runs this business too.

Donnie = courteous, fast follow up, fast shipping, great pricing, and even let me do a return when I realized that the scope I got was not the thing I wanted.   Also answers the phone and takes orders at 10pm at night.

Sable Co. rocks - customer service A++++
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]

Spoken like a man who's weapons only get use on the range, and just on the sunny days.
View Quote

Not true I have used my scope shooting every where from Alaskan summers to Mississippi winters and also IL summers and winters and my (It is a $150 scope)scope has always worked well for me from the middle of the day to just before the sun goes down.

I'm not saying go out and buy the cheapest scope that you can find what I'm saying is think about what you using the rifle for if your a sniper for a PD then go for the $500 scope but if your just using it for range and target shooting then why spend more then you have to.

If your going to use it for hunting then get a hunting scope that cost from $150 and up there are a lot of them out there that are good but don't cost you a few weeks or months pay.

My $150 scope has placed the bullet where I want it every time it has survived a 50 foot fall down a hill in Alaska then fell in a lake and it still works like a dream.

True it will not win me a shooting compaction or is a good hostage scope but that not what I want it to do but if thats what you want then by all means please get a $500+ scope.

But I have to say you have a nice rifle thinking of getting one myself one day when I get the money. Most of all have fun shooting it.

Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I would recommend you check out
[url]www.snipersparadise.com[/url] and check the OPTICS discussion area.  Those guys know their stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top