Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2001 4:16:01 AM EDT
Ok, how many rounds do you need to put through a mag to know if it's reliable? Will you generaly know within 10 rounds? Or do you need to put 30 or 40 through it?

Sound like a silly question, but I've got quite a few mags, and haven't really tested them all.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 4:58:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I check mine closely for cracks or dents, then load them to full capacity. I fire the first 5 rounds in the mag, then take it out, top it off to full capacity, and fire 5 more. I do that 3 times, then shoot the mag empty. Then I load only 5 in the mag, shoot them, load with 5 more and shoot them.

The rounds that normally cause problems are the first 5 or the last 5 in the mag. Using my testing method, I've shot the first 5 from a full mag 3 times, the last 5 from an empty mag 3 times, and emptied a fully loaded mag in between. At that point, I trust the mag.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 5:03:24 AM EDT
[#2]
On a pistol mag I like to use it 6 times fully loaded.On a rifle not as many.2 or 3 times fully loaded.I have one mag that works great with 28 out of my carbon 15. but with 30 on my ArmaLite.It will not feed theb 2nd and third if loaded with 30.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 5:04:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 5:07:02 AM EDT
[#4]
700PPs good idea .Your right about the first and last 5.I still like to fully load the pistol.They dont have the power of the rifle to make up for small imperfections.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 5:09:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Armalite has a sequence of function checks to determine if a mag is reliable. it's somewhere in the technical notes of their website.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top