Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2001 12:57:11 AM EDT
Can anyone tell me anything good or bad about Compass Lake AR's?  Especially compared to Bushmaster?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 1:23:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster is what you buy when you want something similar to an assault rifle, but in semi-auto.

Compass Lake is what you buy when you want something similar to an AR-15, but is capable of extreme accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 1:23:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Compass lake buy their upper and lower receivers from Bushmaster. The differences are the trigger, sight options and barrel choices.

Frank White is considered to be one of, if not the best AR gun smith in business. His triggers have a hardened insert at the front. The only better trigger is a jewell. He offers more sight options than Bushmaster and a wider choice of barrels like Douglas, Hart and Kreiger. While Bushmaster is great, Compass Lake is a bit better.

An analogy would be like comparing Rolls-Royce (or a 440) and Aston Martin (or a 426 Hemi), but much less expensive [:D]

Link Posted: 10/6/2001 2:02:38 AM EDT
[#3]
So what are the major advantages to having a .36" rear aperture vs. a .40" or even .52"?  How about the same question for the front sight post (.52 - .72)?

Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 2:19:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So what are the major advantages to having a .36" rear aperture vs. a .40" or even .52"?  How about the same question for the front sight post (.52 - .72)?

Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie
View Quote

The wider the rear aperature, the faster the sight aquisition.  The smaller the rear aperature, the more "precise" you can aim it (at the expense of speed).

The Narrower the front sight post, the more "precise" you can aim.  Remember, your focus when you fire is on the front site tip!!!  The rear aperature is just a round blur.

That being said, if you can "center" the smaller front site tip quickly, in the larger rear aperature, You're above the military curve.

It's all about aquisition speed vs precision.

Standard disclaimers apply.... my .02, just an opinion etc...

Stealth
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 2:35:36 AM EDT
[#5]
So the trick here is to become proficient with the smallest front/rear aperature possible?  With proficient being defined as minimal time to target acquisition with no sacrifice in accuracy.  So it seems that the smaller .36" rear and smaller .52" front with a 1/4 moa on the rear sight would be hardest to learn to shoot but offers greatest chance at accuracy.  Am I wrong here?
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone else have some input for me here?  I really appreciate all of the feedback so far.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#7]
try the compitition section as any question about accurracy is there , you only need to ask . I think you are on the right track as you can have a custom upper built for you alot cheaper and with a better product than a over the counter rifle. cle's are supposed to be great as are the wop uppers . try over there. good luck jon
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#8]
G20:

Frank White (CLE) produces some of the most accurate AR's in existance.  These rifles are specifically for Highpower rifle competition (where you shoot at a 6 in x-ring 600 yds away without a scope) and varmint hunting.  Send an e-mail to Frank and tell him what you are looking for and he won't steer you wrong.  His prices are very comparable to the high end factory rifles.

Bushmaster is a large manufacturer.  You might get an accurate rifle from them and you might not.  Although I suppose it is possible to have a bad one, all of the CLE rifles that I have seen have been very accurate.  The difference in sights is entirely personal, so use the size that feels right to you.

HTH....SRM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top