Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2001 9:53:54 PM EDT
Check out this liberal, anti-gun BS, from the article -

"A well-known exception in federal gun control law commonly known as the "gun show loophole" can allow, for example, foreign tourists to walk into a gun show in 32 states and buy weapons with cash, no questions asked.

"Nowhere in the Bush administration's fledgling anti-terror legislation does it address this issue.

"But under the terms of the Brady Handgun Control Act -- the 1993 gun control measure that required background checks -- unlicensed, "private" gun salesman can sell firearms without requiring background checks. Many gun-reform advocates recognize this as a loophole in the law.

"The anti-terror legislation Bush and Attorney General Ashcroft have submitted to Congress seeks to give law enforcement broader power to wiretap citizens, easier access to financial and phone records and a facilitated process for detaining or deporting foreign visitors.

"But it doesn't mention the gun show loophole. No one in Congress has brought it up, either.

"Leery of appearing partisan, even strong proponents of closing the gun show loophole say they don't want to push the issue into the debate on terrorism.

"The House Judiciary Committee unanimously approved a modified version (PDF) of the Justice Department's original draft of anti-terror legislation Wednesday. The Senate's version of the bill was submitted from the Judiciary committee to Senate leadership Thursday.

"Both bills could come to a full vote as early as next week. And the gun issue evidently won't be brought up.

"We're not out there screaming and yelling," said Matt Bennett, spokesman for the Americans for Gun Safety Foundation. "It would be absurd for us to demand Congress put this in the terrorism bill. We don't want to play politics with the issue."

What is it about freedom that these pinheads do not understand?

Eric The(What'Loophole'?YouMeanThe2ndAmendment?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#1]
"There are roughly 4,500 gun shows in the United States each year. [u]Vendors there peddle everything from pistols to assault weapons, but federal law doesn't require them to run a background check on their customers. Eighteen states do require checks[/u].

"In contrast, at licensed gun shops federal law requires background checks to prevent felons, illegal immigrants and even foreign visitors with tourist or student visas -- like some of the hijackers had -- from buying weapons.

"The Justice Department is asking Internet users to sacrifice some of their privacy in the interest of national security, but gun buyers aren't being asked for similar concessions.

"In fact, Ashcroft's office has recently moved to further protect gun owners' right to anonymity.

"On July 6, the Justice Department proposed a rule that would reduce the amount of time -- from 90 days to just one business day -- that background-check records for approved gun purchases are held.

"Despite the tone on Capital Hill, some opponents of the loophole are speaking out.

"Now, more than ever, we need to close the gun show loophole," said Amy Stilwell, spokeswoman for the Brady Campaign, a group that advocates tighter gun control. "We think it's a good time to raise this issue, and we're doing what we can."

"If and when Congress does address closing the gun show loophole, the battle will be heated.

"Revelations that the weapons used in Colorado's Columbine High School massacre were purchased at a gun show, and the Million Mom March it inspired, weren't enough to get the loophole closed during the last congressional session.

"Anti-loophole bills passed the House and Senate (thanks to a tie-breaking vote from Al Gore) last year. But the legislation died when the two chambers could not agree on a joint version of the bill to be sent to the president for approval."

Is this guy nuts, or what? He thinks that even FFL dealers don't have to do background checks if the sale takes place at a gunshow!!!!

Eric The(WhatAMoron!)Hun[>]:)]

Link Posted: 10/5/2001 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup.  I read the anti-terror bill the other day.  It's just a shopping list of all the things the control freaks in DC have been wanting to foist upon us over the last few years.  They figure that they can get it through now on a wave of emotion.  They must be proven wrong.  We've got to turn this back on them and win back some of our gun rights somehow.  

The one provision in the bill that really startled me was the one that allowed for "secret searches" to take place.  Basically, the FBI wants to be able to break into your computer or your house, look at things, seize things, and only tell you about it later, or possibly not at all.  Sounds a lot like a burglary, doesn't it?  

I don't need to mention that such power is intolerable.  What would stop them from planting evidence?  Hell, what stops them now?

I just hope I'm home when someone comes to conduct a "secret" search.  My Ruger Redhawk will speak for me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I wonder what they'd think if the article read something like:

"A well known exception in the federal press control law commonly known as the "book show loophole" can allow, for eample, foreign tourists to walk into a book show in 32 states and sell books or essays for cash, no questions asked.

"Nowhere in the Gore administration's fledgling anti-terror legislation does it address this issue.

"But under the terms of the Clinton Press Control Act -- the 19xx act that required background checks on anyone producing material for people to read -- unlicensed, "private" wordsmiths can sell books and essays without the required background checks.  Many press-reform advocates recognize this as a loophole in the law."

Maybe they would understand then?

Link Posted: 10/5/2001 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#4]
FCK'N morons.

Don't they know the guns terrorists purchase at gun shows are smuggled out of the country?
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#6]
If everyone had a M16, it wouldn't matter what a bunch of terrorists bought at some gunshow.
Duh!
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 10:45:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted: If everyone had a M16, it wouldn't matter what a bunch of terrorists bought at some gunshow.
Duh!
View Quote

I was thinking abou this today.

Does anyone else think that perhaps having guns in the airport - open and exposed - evil assault rifles - just might "desensitize" people to the point where they just might think that if you have a military style weapon (such as an AR15) it's ok?  I can hear it now - "Oh, you have one of those like the security at the airport - I see those all the time and they haven't killed anyone by accident... must be a 'good' rifle"?

Just a thought
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 11:35:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I was told that on thursday there was a congressional hearing held concerning the REPEAL OF POSSE COMITATUS.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 12:20:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Gunshow loophole? How about the Congress loophole? They allow mentally disabled people to come into office (Bill Clinton), and they kill thousands of people every year by disarming good God fearing people. I say do background checks on all those in congress and see how many of them should actually be there instead of the mental institution they came from.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 1:18:43 AM EDT
[#10]
How about the "boxcutter loophole","Islamic extremist learning to fly loophole",and"Who the fock let these 'students' into the country Loophole"? Cold Dead Fingers!
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:21:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Should this surprise anyone on this board?  We saw this $hit after the Columbine shooting, the gun control @$$holes were charging full speed ahead up the mountain of dead student bodies and walking all over them to further their own gun control agenda. Those folks really couldn't have careless for the welfare of those killed, this is where you find the private and public side of those politicos.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 7:38:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Where was this from? I want to email the idiots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top