Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2001 8:09:09 PM EDT
I'm at step one with this mission...where do I start?  Anybody have any advice for getting a nice Garand from the CMP?  
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#1]
1.  Join a CMP-affiliated shooting club or range (call CMP to get this info).

2.  Shoot the mandated number of rounds (last I heard it was something like 60 in at least one competitive match) in a match.

3.  Send FFL information to CMP.

4.  Belly up the money for the rifle.

5.  Pick it up at the pre-arranged FFL after standard paperwork.

I would suggest calling them and asking.  They will give you all the paperwork needed, applications, lists of affiliated programs, etc.  Working the phone will give you the best results because you will get the most up-to-date information on their purchase policies and prices.

"Do what you will,
just don't think getting a rifle from CMP will be easy."
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Good stuff, thanks for the info.  How bout that number?  I've searched the web for a number, with no luck.  I've heard that the weapons are in pretty nice shape, and don't cost an arm and a leg.  I am prepared for the wait...but I've waited a quarter of a century already.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.odcmp.com/Forms/m1.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:23:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I am.  Who do I talk to?
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh...
I  just read the form at the link above.

You have to join a CMP club no matter what.
The veteran status only exempts you from having to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for doing the leg work...Now to apply for this damn thing!  Thanks for the help.

-Rich
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#7]
The Garand Collectors Association ([url]www.garandcollector.org/[/url])is a cheap way to meet the club requirement.  As I remember it, it's $20 per year, and you get a nice newsletter.

dissipator556, good luck with the shooting requirements.  My nephew has been trying to get a Garand out of the CMP for about 6 months so far.  He has met all of the requirements, but they still won't recognize that he has met them.  In their own form it states, "A letter from a CMP-affiliated organization official confirming that you have fired at least 50 shots in an instructional clinic or annual record fire within the past 5 years."  He fired 100 rounds in a CCW class taught by an NRA certified instructor, but they wouldn't accept that.  Also, he tried to get them to accept a scoring card for 50 rounds fired in a NRA pistol match he found while out of town (he happened to be at the range while it was going-on).  Again, no luck.  I talked him into wanting an M1, so I feel a little guilty about making him so frustrated over this.  Watching Band of Brothers each week with him hasn't made things any better.z
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Unless things have changed in the last 4 months since the last Garand I ordered from them, you don't need to use an FFL.  They ship the rifle Fed-Ex right to your door.  You do have to sign for it when it comes, they won't leave it if no one's home.  Ordering from the CMP is a little hassle, but is well worth it.  For more info, go the this site.

http://www.shootingworld.net/lane/csptips.html
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 7:32:58 AM EDT
[#9]
No FFL's are required for the CMP rifles.

You need to join a CMP affiliated club, fire the required amount of rounds, mine was 50, fill out the paperwork, get it notarized, include payment and send in to CMP.  Then wait 3-4 weeks and the rifles will be shipped via FedEx to your house.  My last ammo only took 1 week to arrive.

When you fill out the forms you are authorizing the CMP to do a NICS check.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2001 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#10]
If your wanting a specific manufacturer (receiver) attatch a post it note with the corresponding serial number ranges for the manufacturer that you want. FYI, Anniston inspects, repairs, compiles the serial number lists which are sent to Camp Perry and packages and ships the rifles. Camp Perry assigns your rifle from the serial number list of available rifles. They have no idea of the overall condition of the rifle but it is a small effort to check the list for the range you want. The CMP officially does not take requests, but in truth, they try to fill reasonable requests.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Go for it, My CMP Garand is the best money I've ever spent. Every M1 we get, is one that's saved from the federal Govt. cutting torch.

That's grease, not rust on my CMP Garand.
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/016/wg/kE/wK/YS20043.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#12]
forget it, once the demil clause goes into effect next week, they will be smashing them and all other mil surplus into scrap metal, and coming for the one's that are already civilian owned.

(we are doing it for the terrorist children)

Link Posted: 10/7/2001 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Lougotzz said:
If you can't satisfy the CMP go to M1Garand.com and look at what tony pucci has. I just got a select grade in 308 also offered in 30/06 an the thing is amazing.
View Quote

Lucky you!  I saw one of his select rifles in 308 at a gun store.  The guy traded it in on an even swap for a Colt pre-ban AR-15.  The shop owner didn't even put it on the rack.  He put it in a case and took it straight to his car!  I would love to have one of those rifles for my nephew (or me), but the cheapest 308 he sells is $1075.  That's over twice the price of the CMP M1.  I think we're going to keep working on the CMP option.  I went to a gun show today, and I asked every vendor I bought from for advice on how to meet the shooting requirement.  I found-out about a class in Butner, NC, but that's on a Sunday (my nephew preaches, so that's out).  Also, it's about a six hour drive away, and neither of us has a car that could make it.  I'm still working on other options.  I'll beat the CMP bureaucrats one day.z
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top