Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2001 7:07:18 PM EDT
Well which company? Bushmaster? Armalite? Olympic arms? who?

If you had the choice between 14.5" or 16", which would you take?

And what is the best retractable stock on the market?

[img]http://www.colt.com/colt/assets/images/a2f20_m4carbine.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 10/5/2001 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster. Chrome lined barrel, 5.56 chamber, forged front sight. Armalite is a close second, but they have yet to get a 5.56 chamber locked down for all uppers. Plus, for a Preban, you don't want that Armalite brake.

I have a 16" barrel, but I liked my 14.5 upper better. Sold it to my Dad in a trade, and bought the 16" M4 upper 'cause it was a steal.

For the shortes OAL, get a 14.5 the difference between the two is negligable.

I like a the nexer style collapsible stocks, because the slant let me shoulder the rifle better, but that's a matter of taste.

Given carte blanche to buy the most expensive AR I want, I would still buy a Bushy.

My informed $.03

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Got a 14.5" Bushmaster upper on a Olympic lower. Went with the Olympic lower because I found a great deal on an awesome preban lower. Fit and finish are great, and functions flawlessly.

Put the Bushmaster M4 upper on it because IMHO, Bushmaster consistantly puts out the best quality, reliable stuff. And upper rec. is where it counts if you ask me. Unless you have a real crappy lower.

However, I was impressed enough with the how solid the RRA stocks are, I used theirs. Plus you get the adaptability of a six position stock which also pulls out to the A2 length. Which is great. Why resort to only 3 postions, unless your only planned use is range use? Better to have as many options open to you as possible.

Edited because I can.

Link Posted: 10/5/2001 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a RRA 4 position stock on my Colt SP1 and I love it.  As far as who makes the best M4's, I'd go with Bushmaster.  Their complete guns and uppers are consistantly high quality.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 5:37:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine's a Bushmaster 14.5/phantom.
But I have the Colt CAR stock.

Colt Military Issue M4's are very nice.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 6:01:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Bushmaster M4A3 with an 14.5" barrel, i took the 14.5" since i don´t have to come up with 200$ to buy one instead of an 16", that´s all. A good, quality weapon.

Since there aren´t any of the new 6 position stocks around here, i´ll carry on with my 4 position stock.

Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Me! and you should see what I'm building on a Diamond lower!

Good hunting...

pdm
NRA GOA ILA GABBA GABBA HEY

[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=pdm&album_id=30818&image_id=0&courtesy=1[/img]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 8:54:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Colt of course. They invented the thing and still have the best all around parts for it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#9]
pdm...that rifle rocks!  If it shoots half as good as it looks...it is a great AR.
I'm green...
[shock]
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, if you want to be technical about it, Colt. Colt is the only producer of the M4. No other producer can make the M4 handguards, or stamp the upper M4. Colt lost out on the M16A4 contract to FN (with a lower unit bid price) because the DOD felt they had all they could do producing M4's to finish up SOCOM and the XVIII Airborne Corp.
I have a Colt M4 upper (flattop with a correct Colt M4 carrying handle) on a Bushmaster lower with a Colt 4 pos. coll. stock. 14.5" with a vortex FH, and Colt M4 handguard and side sling adaptor. Great rifle.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Me! and you should see what I'm building on a Diamond lower!

Good hunting...

pdm
NRA GOA ILA GABBA GABBA HEY

[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=pdm&album_id=30818&image_id=0&courtesy=1[/img]
View Quote

PDM,

Please list the components.  FF Tube maker, where you got the ither green furniture, etc.

WOW!!!! That is just beautiful!!

Zaz
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top