Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2001 7:34:19 PM EDT
At gun shows I see these people walking around toting private guns they want to sell to people they meet by chance.  How is this done?  Don't you have to go through an FFL for the transfer paper work?  Do they more or less just exchange phone numbers and then have the gun shipped?  Or do they head off to see an FFL in the neighborhood somewhere?  BTW, this question is primarily for CA.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Private sales are legal as long as you are within your own state of residene and don't have personal knowledge that the purchaser is not legally able to own firearms. No record keeping is required.

This if federal law. I am sure some states make tighter regulations than this.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Private sales are of long guns are no longer legal in CA. You must go through and FFL. I am still confused on pistols though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#3]
In CA both long guns and handguns must be transfered through an FFL, here's how it's done.

Say you find someone at the show who's selling something you want. You both find a dealer there at the show that is local to you(many dealers now have signs reading "transfer dealer" or something similar). You both fill out all necessary paperwork, and show ID, and you give the owner of the firearm the agreed-upon price. You guys then go your separate ways. The dealer then KEEPS the firearm for 10 days, which is actually 11 days since it starts the next day. You of course have to pay the dealer to keep the gun for you, minimum $20 for the transfer. After the 10(11) days, you're free to go to the dealer's place of business, and sign again before taking posession of your new firearm.

It only sounds like a pain in the rear because IT IS!!! It's especially a pain if you're at a show out of town.

Oh yeah- You can only buy one handgun per month in the PRK. I was originally told that the law doesn't apply to private party transfers, but recent evidence has shown that it does.

This state is beautiful, huh?
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 4:42:22 AM EDT
[#4]
In California, private party sales of Curio and Relic rifles and shotguns over 50 years old are legal.  They do not have to be processed through a dealer.  All other firearms, however, have to go through an FFL dealer for transfer.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 7:59:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Then what's this new "Curio and Relic FFL" they say you need for transfering C&Rs?
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#6]
There is nothing new about a curio and relic FFL. It is used to make interstate purchases of curio and relic firearms.  It is not required in order to purchase within the state.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Just curious, why do you guys go through this? What stops one from buying the rifle/pistol from the other individual & going the other way? Is there some kind of paper trail? If the cops were to come to your home on a seperate issue & inquire about your 870, do you have to show how you came to be in posession? If it's not stolen (NCIC) then it's yours.
Scott
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#8]
One more thing. Why not just go to Arizona, or whatever the closest state may be, & buy at a show form an individual?
Scott
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a new no FFL rule...unless I am buying a pistol then I look for private sales.  This is for one reason only, no hassel.  No waiting three days if your background doesn't clear right away. And as long as it is legal I will follow this rule.  Cali sucks!!! if you like guns.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe an FFL holder has to perform the task of 'private party transfers' and cannot charge more than $25.  I've never had a problem doing it.  I guess the only potential problem with not doing it, is if the numbers get run on the gun for whatever reason and you don't come up as the owner.  On the sellers side, who wants to have to explain how a gun you once owned and sold at a show, without the transfer turns, up at a crime scene?    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top