Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2001 8:33:46 AM EDT
Ok at one time I was wanting to buy a gas mask to until I was told a few things by someone on this site and my wife who is an RN and looked up stuff on this.

First off a gas mask is only going to be good if you carry it around every where with you not in your car or at home but right by your side 24/7.

Next lets say you get the mask on and have at least 1 day's worth of filters for it(From the ones I have seen the filter only works for 3-4 hours.) how are you going to know when it is safe to take it off? Also how are you going to de con your self are you going to trust the government to do it or be there before your filters run out?

This is just some of the things I have found out and if anyone has an answer for any of these I'd like to hear it. This is not a flame for any of you guys who bought a gas mask. This is just info for people thinking of buying one.

Maybe someone out there can come up with an answer for the above problems and if so please tell us and me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#1]
This has been debated AD NAUSEUM in previous threads.

Your points are correct.

Still, don't you think the Branch Davidians that had them were glad they did?

Aren't the rescue workers using them?

Just had a chemical spill in Baltimore yesterday (again).  If I lived there and were told to evacuate, I'd be glad to own one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Aren't the rescue workers using them?

No. They have dust masks and respirators.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Major-Murphy

I'll profess a lack of knowledge here.  I did realize they aren't using military type gas masks, but wouldn't an M95 be of benefit for a civilian trying to leave the area, particullary right after the collapse when the air was filled with chocking particulates?
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Correct, they are using dust masks and respirators, and if you'd like, I'd be glad to post at least 13 pictures of people wearing them incorrectly.  (Save on bandwidth you know...)

Unless you've been specifically trained and also FIT-TESTED on the proper use of a respirator or other mask, buying one is of no use to you against most chemical hazards.

Most people do not realize that the majority of masks are not approved for use in IDLH (immediately dangerous to life or health) conditions.  A mask is just a false sense of security and possibly a greater hazard to you if you have not been trained on them and specifically fitted for one.

Not to mention that chem and bio agents, which are most people's concern of late, can penetrate many masks, and some only need to get on your skin to be effective.  Since they have no odor or other indicating characteristics at the LC50 (Lethal concentration for 50% of a given population)  any kind of protection would be too late.  (Unless, of course, you carry a caged Canary around with you as an early warning system.)
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Arn't gas-masks useless against the kind of bacterial agents the terrorists are most likely to use?
Even high-grade military suits are not full-proof against the same stuff I've been told.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#6]
It wouldn't hurt.

Dust is dust.
Toxic chemicals are toxic chemicals.
An industrial accident/attack on a chemical plant would be a good reason to have a mask, or a respirator.  The commercial respirator might even be better.

Nerve agents? Anthrax?
Different story.
You'll never have a reason to wear it, until it's too late.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Current mil issue C2 filters will filter a lot of different chem and bio agents. MCU and the M40 series masks are current issue for US.

On the pre-sept market, decon kits and wipes were available. As well as the MCU and M40 masks and reasonable prices. I picked a small up for my wife for 35$. It seals perfect, and is almost new.

Better to have and not need, then need and not have. The way I see it, I would rather have the 'chance', of knowing something was coming, and having the ability to prepare, then not have the means to do anything about it, even if I knew it was coming. That's just me. Other folks might feel differently.

I wouldn't bother buying one at the current prices though, they are outrageous. Best not to play into to other peoples panic buying, as it seems this will just raise the price more. Wait until it dies off a bit, and then buy.

_
FS
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#9]
if i was going to buy a gas mask i sure as hell wouldnt buy one of those surplus masks

hate to find out when i  needed it that ah shit its not rated for what i need or that the filter  is to old etc etc etc
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Make a clean room in the house. Seal off the vents with duct tape, cover the windows with saranwrap and duct tape, use weather stripping to seal the door and keep a rool of duct tape in the room, and a chemical toilet. If you have all the food and water you need any most bio stuff should be gone in a couple of days unless its sprayed Antrax, it will stay in the dirt, if aerosal it will be gone in a few days. Well that is my two cents worth....
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#11]
[50]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Most chemical weapons in gas form disperse fairly quickly, if you can keep from breathing it you'll be alot better off.  Your lungs will absorb it into the blood stream quicker than your skin will, so at least a mask would decrease your exposure, and increase your chances for survival.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I would not.  I am not rated for NBC reaction.  Why, buy a mask when it is better getting the whole bio-suit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Farts.[moon]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted: Farts.[moon]
View Quote

Ha Ha.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Make a clean room in the house. Seal off the vents with duct tape, cover the windows with saranwrap and duct tape, use weather stripping to seal the door and keep a rool of duct tape in the room, and a chemical toilet. If you have all the food and water you need ....
View Quote

I tried this for a while and regained consciousness when the neighbor forced his way in to bring me a couple rolls of aluminum foil.

Link Posted: 10/5/2001 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#17]
The approach that Symtex is describing seems pretty reasonable. Israeli citizens have been issued gas masks on various occasions, along with instructions on how to seal up a room for better protection. Note that they weren't issued full NBC suits, since the idea is that the sealed room will provide most of the protection, with the gas mask taking care of any leakage. At modest gas concentrations, inhalation is probably a greater risk than skin exposure, so this sounds like a good strategy.

It may be true that the cannisters don't last very long, but again, the idea isn't to be outside running  around during an attack. If you're inside a "sealed" room and minimize your physical activity, the demands on the cartridge are reduced considerably. Also, many chemical agents don't stick around for more than a few hours, so one cannister might be all you'd need.

BTW, most people choose the master bedroom, since it usually has a toilet, running water, and room for several extra people. Much nicer than going the chemical toilet route...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top