Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2001 12:23:23 AM EDT
I have been looking at 9mm ammo and it seems that the only thing out there 124 and 115gr. fmj or jhp.
I want something very light and very fast so it will frag. but the best I can find is 115gr. jhps @1140fps.
Is there maybe some +P out there that could get me up to 1500-1600fps? it would be great if I could get 2000fps but I don't think it can be done with a handgun.....right?

What else is there?
If you guys know of anything eles and have the data on it post it for me,I'm not getting anyplace on my own.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 3:04:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Based on what you've described as your ideal bullet performance in 9mm, I'd suggest using either one of the frangible rounds (Glaser, Magsafe, etc.) or the Cor-Bon 115gr +P or Speer Gold Dot 115gr +P+.  I'm not a big fan of the pre-fragmented rounds, I normally recommend using conventional JHP's.  Both the Cor-Bon and Speer rounds listed above will go 1300+ FPS out of a pistol and the Cor-Bon might even fragment a bit (the Gold Dot is a bonded core bullet and thus is designed to hold together).
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 3:30:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Mr_carbine: You might want to check out this site, I pointed this link to the wound ballistics part but you might want to back up to the home and start.
[url]http://www.firearmstactical.com/wound.htm[/url]
IMHO you are headed the wrong way w/ [b]light/fast[/b] and [b]frangible[/b]. I like the 147grn bullets in 9mm. To each his own though.I prefer [b]penetration[/b].

Mike
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 3:40:36 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want a light fast load, about the best thing I've seen is a Hirtenberger 95gr soft point +P+, going at about 1500fps.  Supposed to be quite nasty stuff.  The problem is, however, its a +P+ and quite hard on your handgun - probably not advisable to shoot a whole lot of it, and simply too hot for many 9mm handguns.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 4:06:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought some Aguila IQ in 9mm. It's 65gr. I don't remember the velocity, it was fast. It has very light recoil. I would suggest whatever you buy, get 2 boxes. Shoot one box to make sure it functions. I had a stovepipe using the Aguila. I don't think it's for me.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 4:08:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh, and Cor-bon makes a 90 grain that is ~1450fps(I think)
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 4:44:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Personally I prefer 124gr. Speer Gold Dot, for penetration and energy transfer.  If you reload you can get some pretty light bullets (intended for the .380 ACP) and load them in 9X19, not sure what kind of velocities you would get, I'd have to check the load manuals.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 4:50:14 AM EDT
[#7]
IMO light and fast in 9mm is the best way to go. Cor Bon, Federal, and many others have 115gr JHP rounds at 1,300 FPS or more. All do a very good job at transferring their energy into the target. 124gr JHP +P+ rounds from Federal, Winchester, and Cor Bon are also very good, if you feel as though you need more penetration.

Practice a lot, put that bullet where it can do the most damage, and it really doesn't matter all that much which load you choose.

Tyler
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top