Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2001 11:28:56 PM EDT
I got a good deal on an 870. It will be about $269 + tax (8.25%) after the rebate.

Its the Home Defense model.
I remember someone saying that you had to remove the bead in the magazine tube by filing in order to use the regular 870 accessories.

Is this correct??

Any more info on the 870......????

I know all of you Mossberg guys will complain about the steel receiver, etc.... who knows as this is my first shotgun....maybe a Mossy later or ....

Come to think of it, I always liked that Fabarm FP-6 and its also on sale now!...Hmmmmmmmm.....

I better stop while i'm ahead [financially].
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 12:12:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 4:37:37 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a novel idea big bear - but let me try to get it straight - you tapped the outside of a socket with the same thread pitch as the end of a 870 mag tube to "undimple" it?  How much on the outside of the socket was threaded?  Did you use any lubricant and approximately how times did you run it in and out?

FWIW, I'm a huge fan of the 870 and $269 for the HD model is a good deal.  It seems to me that the 870 is the model every other pump tries to live up to.  Sure Mossy's are used by the GI-rine's and a ton of PD's, but they're not as tight the 870.  Fabarms look really cool and all, but a friend of mine had one and the damn thing jammed all the time.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 4:51:42 AM EDT
[#3]
When did they start putting the dimple in the 870's? I have a  870 Express from 1989 with no dimple. I also bought a 18.5 inch barrel for the 870 made by Mossberg.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 4:55:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's a novel idea big bear - but let me try to get it straight - you tapped the outside of a socket with the same thread pitch as the end of a 870 mag tube to "undimple" it?  How much on the outside of the socket was threaded?  Did you use any lubricant and approximately how times did you run it in and out?

quote]

He meant that he hit it with a hammer lightly.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 5:18:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I had an FP-6 for a little while.  I admit, it looked really cool and I got a hellacious deal on it, but that SOB would not work to save its ass.  The only shells that it would constantly and reliably feed were winchester AA with 8 1/2 shot!  It would not feed any kind of buck shot that I put in it.  I traded it for a DPMS 20" A2 upper and bought an 870 with a Vang Comp Systems barrel.  Best thing I coulda done.  The 870 feeds everything, all the time.

ML
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 5:36:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Saved myself the trouble and bought the parkerized Police Magnum model.

Cost me $399, though[:(!]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I just drilled out the dimples on mine. Works fine. The trick with the socket sounds like a pretty good trick, too. I have both 870 and Mossberg 500. Only advantage to me with the 500 is the placement of the safety. I like that better, but the 870 has a much slicker action. Like them both.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top