Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2001 5:24:19 PM EDT
I've been thinking about building an UZI. I've seen adds in shotgun news for IMI & American Group Industries receivers and various parts kits for different locations.

Has anyone here ever done this before? What should I expect?

I have been thinking about this a lot recently and have many questions. Where can I go to find out more information about this topic?
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I hear that it's quite difficult and labor intensive.  What's worse, is that when you are through buying all that you need, you will have a postban that you slapped together for a price nearing that of a preban IMI.

If you like projects, it may be for you, but if you just want a cheap UZI, look for a Norinco copy.

The best place for this type of advice is on L1A1.com's build it yourself board.  FAL guys like to build and mess around with stuff, so it is probably one of the most active build it yourself boards around.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a huge pain in the ass.  It would be cheaper just to buy a used one unless you're into machining bolts and refinishing old Uzi parts.  The guy at [url]http://www.uziusa.com[/url] is really helpful though if you do decide to do it.  

I just bought a refinshed G1 FAL kit from DS Arms.  It showed up today and really exceeded my expectations.  All the parts look brand new (except the wooden stock, which is used but quite servicable).  So my next project is going to be a FAL instead.  

If you're still determined to have a 9mm Uzi carbine, there's a company in Sacramento that is selling complete Mod A Group Industries receivers for like $250.  You can get the rest of the parts at uziusa.com for about $500.  That's $750.  I've seen preban Mod A and Mod B carbines (not Norinco) for $850 recently.  I wouldn't bother with the unwelded receivers because then you would need to buy an alignment kit to make everything come out right.  Major pain and expense.

There's a guy on Gunbroker selling some converted parts and odds and ends.  I talked to him about converting FA bolts into semi.  It's doable, but again, major pain.  Htweel?  Something like that.

Incidently, I like the Mod Bs better.  They can't be converted to FA, but the sights are nicer.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I looked around on this a little bit last year.  Basically, there wasn't much info out on it.  Certain parts were very cheap, but not all of them fit within current US law.  Though an SBR wouldn't be overly difficult to get the paperwork cleared on in some areas of the country.

I didn't hear about the difficult and labor intensive part, but from what I gathered, it's much more involved than assembling an AR-15.

- Robbie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top