Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2001 1:23:55 PM EDT
Found one in a local pawn shop today in immacculate condition. $326.00 including tax and background check fees.
Is that a good deal?
-Chuck
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Most MAK-90s I've seen have been going for around 400.00 or more.  326.00 sounds pretty good to me.  I take it, it is post-ban?
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#2]
How do you know if it is post ban?  Other than the date is there any physical difference for a MAK-90?
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I could be wrong, but I believe all MAC90's are post ban.  Preban guns were AK's.

Larry
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 1:46:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I dunno man that other guy in the other thread got one for $200 . . . [;)]

Aren't all MAK-90s with thumbhole stocks (which suck and are ugly to boot) unless they have been converted with American parts content?

I got a MAK-90 and put a Choate stock on it.  Better, but it's too long.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Not all MAK-90 are pre-ban.  Mak-90 stand for Modified AK 1990.  Wasn't the ban in 1994?
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#6]
All MAK 90s are postban.  They are imported guns so they have to meet postban regulations put in place by daddy Bush's "sporting purposes only" ban of '89.  Hence the name MAK 90.  (MAK=Modified AK 1990)  

Also, the year manufactured (or impored, I forget) is the first two digits of the serial number on MAK 90s.

Domestic makers don't have to worry about the '89 ban as that is an importation regulation.  The '94 ban applies to all, but is not as harsh as the '89 ban.  The '94 allows a detachable mag and 1 evil feature, whereas the '89 doesn't allow any evil features.  This is how ARs can still have a pistol grip and a M1A can still have a flash suppressor.  A MAK 90 offically has no evil features beyond the detachable magazine, as at that time, the ATF didn't classify a thumbhole as a pistol grip.  (which they do now)

This is how adding US parts gets you a pistol grip on these guns.  Once you reduce the number of imported parts (there are 20 offically listed parts that make up a gun) to 10 or less, it officially becomes domestic.  Once that happens, you can add an evil feature as you get out of the '89 regs and into the '94.

What a bunch of crap!

Link Posted: 10/4/2001 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe the first 2 numbers of the serial number indicate the year it was imported.  You might post this on ak-47.net.  Price seems to be about right.

Ready for a good laugh.  At the gun show this weekend some guy had 3 MAK-90's NIB and was asking $700 ea.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#8]
MAK90's are a cut above the SAR and WASR rifles that are pretty common now. The MAK90 dead reliable the fit and finish is far beyond any AK in the price range. If you're in the market for an affordable AK the MAK is the way to go. $326 is not a bad price at all. I paid $375 for mine about a year ago.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Most MAK 90s are very nice rifles. As stated above, the fit and finnish are superior to the SAR series AKs, The accuracy is also superior.
I have a few AKs, and except for the one Im having custom built from all new Bulgarian parts and receiver, my Norinco MAK 90 is noticeably of better quality, it has a great trigger, and it is almost as accurate as my Bushmaster.
BTW, I have the Choate Dragonouv style stock on it with polymer upper and lower handguards, and I think it looks pretty cool for something "different" in my collection of standard configuration AKs. $326.00 is a great price for one in "immaculate" shape
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Good price. I almost paid $500 a few years ago for a MAK90. It doesn't matter what date a MAK90 was imported because the ATF held them and made them postban (IIRC).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top