Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2001 7:07:24 PM EDT
were gunshop owners. I was at one today, looking for some ammo, and got to talking with the owner about the Springfield M1A. I mentioned that I jumped on the "6x40mm Gov't scope and 3rd Gen. mount for $100" deal, and this dumbsh*t says "The reason they can do that is because Springfield uses BEC scopes." Dumb m*therf*cker. At another gun shop, I was again looking for ammo, since I didn't buy anything from idiot no.1, and told him I was looking for ammo for my M1A, and he says if I want to get rid of it, he'll be glad to go as high as $550 for it (scope, and 3 20rd mags included). Uh huh. Sure you will.....F*ckin' idiot, why don't you just break into my house and steal the f*cker? Why is it so hard to find a gun store where the people who work A: KNOW WTF they are talking about, and B: DON'T try to rip you off?
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#1]
This past weekend I was riding around 60 miles from home looking for a gun show that was supposed to be taking place.  I'm totally lost.  Then I happen upon a gun shop with a gravel driveway and six pickup trucks parked out front.  "I'm saved!" I thought.

I go inside and ask one of the guys at the counter if he knows where the gun show is.  I picked the older guy because I figured he looked more intelligent that the younger helping the customer looking at an AR-15.

Huge mistake.  He launches into this whole tirade about how he wouldn't know because he doesn't consort with criminals.  Says he went to a gun show once and "never saw so many crooks in my whole life."  I just sort of chuckled about it.  Yup, there's a few crooks at gun shows, no doubt about that.

I look down on the counter and notice the price of a box of 9mm Federal in the read box with the Eagle--$14. That's what, 2x the price at Ammoman?  And he doesn't consort with criminals?  I guess it takes one to know one...

I turned right around and left his store.  Never bothered to ask any of the other bubbas in there if they knew where the gun show was.  Never did find it.  Oh well.

That's the kind of gun dealer who would eagerly vote to close the "gun show loophole."  Fucking idiot.  Guess he can't take the competition or figures it will help his business.  

Funniest part:  The name of the place was "The Gun Shop."  I'm not making this up!  How brilliant and to the point.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Local gunshop owner has a lot of high-end firearms (Colt, Weatherby, Browning, etc.) but he can never seem to sell any of them.  He asks retail for these guns that have sitting in the racks collecting dust (and pits) for years.  I tried to make him a deal on a Weatherby Vanguard that he had for as long as I had been going to his shop.  It had some minor finish pitting and the stock had handling scratches on it.  He was asking $1250 for it.  I said I would go to $800.  He wouldn't hear it, "That's a Weatherby!"

2 weeks later I come into the shop and the rifle isn't there, he gives me this big smile.  I walk over to my friend behind the counter and ask him if the rifle was sold.  He says, "No, Tom just took it home because he doesn't want to look like a total jackass."  Not even his own employees respect him.

"Do what you will,
just don't sell me an old beat-up clunker for retail."
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I tried to make him a deal on a Weatherby Vanguard that he had for as long as I had been going to his shop.  It had some minor finish pitting and the stock had handling scratches on it.  He was asking $1250 for it.  I said I would go to $800.  He wouldn't hear it, "That's a Weatherby!."
View Quote

I happen to have one of these for sale, at half the cost above.  Couldn't contact you privately so am posting here.  Please Pardon the offer in this forum.  If you're still looking for one, email me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 5:23:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Frankly, I don't see why you are so angry.  It's just a retail establishment, no different from an auto parts store or a bakery.  Keep your money in your wallet and leave it at that...do you go on the internet and rant about the guys at Pep Boys being idiots?
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 5:44:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Weatherby Vanguard is nothing more than a dressed up Howa 1500. More people have lost money on these thinking they were getting a high end rifle. Be glad that guy was an asshole or you would have been screwed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds to me like the experience I have when I go to car dealers (new). 98% of the salesmen know so little about the cars it's scary. I often ask questions I already know the answers to to test them. I run into gun-shop guys like that alot too. Funny story...

Recently my fiance went to the local Ford dealer WITHOUT ME (big mistake). She was thinking of getting a new focus. At 1st they said they could do it for $210 per month for 4 years with $800 down, well as the day went on the price per month kept going up. the next day they called and said it would be $280! then I stepped in and asked why the car was $4200 cheaper YESTERDAY?? The salesman I spoke to was the guy I had talked to on numerous occassions about getting her a car (she was never with me) so we knew each other rather well but did not put 2 and 2 together. I came in and asked what the hell was going on...I told him that she was my fiance and they were trying to take advantage of a young woman who doesn't know much about cars or financing, he just got this big lump in his throat and then.."oh, umm, it was just a misunderstanding, we can do it for $210." NOPE, NOT AT THIS DEALERSHIP!

She learned...DO NOT CAR SHOP WITHOUT A CAR SAVY GUY

BrenLover
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:15:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Did they at least give her a kiss afterwards?? WOW. Another story. My 92 year old neighbor, real nice guy, took his ranger to a chevy dealer (not sure why, probably because it was the closet dealership.) to have a new e-brake cable put in. They charged him over $250!!!! When he told me he and I went to the dealer to "straighten things out". Ended up costing him about a $100. Some dealerships have no shame.
BrenLover
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm one of the few FFL holders you'll ever meet who actually says "I don't know" if I dont know.

I see nothing wrong with expressing the limits of one's knowledge or experience. Sometimes customers get flustered that I can't be their "answerman" but that's the way it goes. I'd rather tell them the straight skinny than make stuff up to save face.

D. www.azexarms.com
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
were gunshop owners. I was at one today, looking for some ammo, and got to talking with the owner about the Springfield M1A. I mentioned that I jumped on the "6x40mm Gov't scope and 3rd Gen. mount for $100" deal, and this dumbsh*t says "The reason they can do that is because Springfield uses BEC scopes."
View Quote

Well they aren't made by BEC, but a Japanese company called Hakko.

[url]www.hakko-japan.co.jp/optical/english/indexe.htm[/url]

I have heard that you can get a significant discounts if you buy directly from them, the only difference is that the scope will not have the Spingfield Armory markings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top