Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2001 4:08:06 PM EDT
Just got 4 thermold mags in the mail from Bushmaster... dang these things are awesome.  Fit is absolutely perfect, feed lips are shaped absolutely perfect... has anybody had any problem with these? Unless they have some kind of feed problems I don't know about I don't see how USGI mags could be any better.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#1]
No problems here.

Jamie
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a bunch of them too, and like them a lot. Never had one jam yet. There are stories out there that they can melt after extended full auto use, but since I don't have a machine gun, it won't likely be a problem. I also have a bunch of GI mags and they are fine as well. Not sure which I'd grab for a SHTF situation, probably whichever ones were closer at the time.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought ten from Ronin, and Im going to see him again this week for 6 more.  The things are awesome......Look great too!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bought ten from Ronin, and Im going to see him again this week for 6 more.  The things are awesome......Look great too!!!
View Quote

Could you have him e-mail me or maybe forward his addy to me? I bought a bunch from him a while back and would like more too!
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Just don't drop a loaded one on a hard surface, you'll be looking for peices for hours!  Jeff
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Anybody stop to think that plastic wears faster than brass?  Doesn't it make sense to construct the  reusable mag out of a material stronger and longer wearing than  the cartridge it feeds?... DUH!!!
View Quote

Your reasoning makes perfect sense, but the fact is I've been using the same two as range mags for years and they still function flawlessly. I would guess they have had a thousand or more round each through them. They seem to wear a tiny bit at first, after which they are simply "broken in".
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just don't drop a loaded one on a hard surface, you'll be looking for peices for hours!  Jeff
View Quote

[size=5] Not True ! The plastic flexes. [/size=5]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep, They don't suck.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Gus, I appreciate your personal experience, which mirrors my own.  HOWEVER, the time may come when 30-rd mags are NLA.  Why do USGI aluminum mags sell for higher prices than the presumably less-common Thermolds?
View Quote

Not sure why USGI's cost more. I have a growing supply of both kinds though. Gotta cover all the bases!  I like the GI mags as well as the Thermolds, and I guess I use the Thermolds at the range to preserve the GI mags in case I ever REALLY need them. I usually take my two trusty Thermolds and two or three untested GI mags (for testing) whenever I go shooting.
Sweep's got a great point that I hadn't considered too. I guess that settles the SHTF question for me!
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why do USGI aluminum mags sell for higher prices than the presumably less-common Thermolds?
View Quote
demand is higher
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've dropped one from waste height and it was fine.  Was yours a U.S. made Thermold?
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I must have 20 Thermolds by now. For the range, I use the same two Thermolds I've been using for close to three years, as well as a DPMS "Teflon" USGI mag. I keep telling myself I'll have to replace the Thermolds soon, but they continue to function flawlessly. I keep them loaded with 28 rounds at all times. Anyway, I've dropped them on cement fully loaded and so far no cracks at all.

They're great mags and if you don't trust them for real use, then by all means they are perfect for the range. But I've never seen one jam.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just got 4 thermold mags in the mail from Bushmaster... dang these things are awesome.  Fit is absolutely perfect, feed lips are shaped absolutely perfect... has anybody had any problem with these? Unless they have some kind of feed problems I don't know about I don't see how USGI mags could be any better.
View Quote

This may be the only true test whether a thermold is as good as a USGI.

Load both mags to full capacity (30-rnds), put them in your garage (or the warmest place in the house) and after a couple of months, insert it in the magwell (notice something?).....then press the mag release.

Let me know if you still think like you do now.

Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Canadian military uses them.....only problems are extreme heat....extreme use.....then...replace........[:)]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know, I had no problems inserting fully loaded Thermolds this summer and they were stored upstairs where I know it gets over 115 degrees.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#20]
No.....extreme heat meaning extended  full auto fire..............[heavy]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Thermolds just look better than any other mag out there, IMHO.[:D]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Canadian military uses them.....only problems are extreme heat....extreme use.....then...replace........[:)]
View Quote

Canadians have now switched to USGI design mags. The problems w/ the Canadian mags is they used a different plastic which was very problematic compared to the original U.S. design.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thermolds just look better than any other mag out there, IMHO.[:D]
View Quote

I definitely agree with that point.  The match the furniture perfectly.  If they'd just make the USGI mag the same black as the gun...
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got 10... every one of them fires flawless.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#26]
My Thermolds work perfectly.  Sure aluminum mags are worth more, but drop one of those mags loaded, on its lips, and see what happens.  They are far from perfect and more fragile, in my experience, than a Thermold.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#27]
How do Orlites stack up by comparison????

[heavy]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 3:09:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

[size=5] Not True ! The plastic flexes. [/size=5]
View Quote

Derek-
 I should have been more clear, they DONT break they just disassemble, a pain in the ass but no damage.   Jeff
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 6:03:32 AM EDT
[#30]
i own 3 thermolds and 3 orlites. they've each had thousands of rounds thru with NO trouble.

theyre 30 rounders, but i keep them loaded with 20 rounds at all times, because ive heard so many stories (don't know if theyre true) about usgi's not feeding the first round if kept full.

there are 2 kinds of mag pouches, one for the skinny usgi mags, and another (slightly bigger) made to fit thermolds. if you get the right pouch they slip in and out easily (and 1 at a time).

plastic rifle, plastic mags. makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 6:05:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 6:40:57 AM EDT
[#32]
I love my Thermolds.  They work flawlessly.  The deal from Ronin is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#33]
I have 45 Canadian Maple Leaf Thermolds that have worked flawlessly for me. The melting issue with them is a moot point if used in a semi-auto. You simply cant shoot fast enough to melt them with a standard ammo load.
BrenLover
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Me personally, I prefer Orilite's. Thermolds are nice, but I hate those ridges, and on my Oly lower they don't seem to fit 100% perfect like the US GI's do.
As for being able to withstand temperature variations, mine have seen -20 winters and 125 temps in my car, with no warping or bending.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Actually I feel the opposite about the ridges.  I think the orilites look too plain. [:D]

Seriously I have 10 thermolds, never had a problem and I'll continue to buy more as long as the price is right.  So everyone that likes the metal ones can keep buying them and continue to drive the price down on the thermolds and up on the USGI one...on that note THERMOLDS SUCK [}:)]

[bounce]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I have 40 Canuck thermolds. All used by the Canadian MIL, one has what looks like the beginning of the lips melting, but it functions perfectly. I havent had a single problem with any of them so far... but I disassembled them into parts form so I dont have to block them to 5 rds.

If the SHTF, I will depend on them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top