Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2001 1:55:08 PM EDT
I have a friend and every time we I try to start her computer I get this lovely note, [i]Invalid System Disk Replace the Disk and then press any key[/i], but every disk we put in there gets the same message.  What disk do we need?  It is a Gateway Running Windows 95.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Take the disk out of the floppy drive, and hit enter. It's looking for a boot diskette, but it should boot from the hard drive.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#2]
You are trying to boot from a floppy?  Doesn't the PC have Windows installed on the hard drive?  Unless I misunderstand, you just need to remove any disk from the floppy drive and let it boot.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a friend and every time we I try to start her computer I get this lovely note, [i]Invalid System Disk Replace the Disk and then press any key[/i], but every disk we put in there gets the same message.  What disk do we need?  It is a Gateway Running Windows 95.
View Quote

Take the disk out before starting it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#4]
There is no disk in it when I turn it on.
It is only after we start it does it ask for the disk.  I tried starting it with the disk I have in there but I guess we have the wrong disk.  Anyone know where I can get a boot disk for windows 95?
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anyone know where I can get a boot disk for windows 95?
View Quote

Sorry, I run W98.  Good Luck!
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#6]
If the above responses don't fix the problem, then your "system" that is stored on the hard drive is damaged.  You might want to look for the windows install disk or a Gateway Recovery disk.....hopefully though it was just the floppy being inserted thing.

Good luck, hard drive problems are not for the feint of heart.

Steven L.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Of course there is always the poss. that the flopy drive is bad.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I was hoping I wouldn't hear that the hard drive was damaged.  I run W98 too so I cant help.  This computer is pretty old by today's standards, but is was cheaper for her than a new computer.  I will try to find someone around here that still runs windows 95.  (I bet my old high school does)  Any more suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I am sure it is over 3 years old.  I think I will advise her to get a new computer.(A definite SHTF situation [;)])
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anyone know where I can get a boot disk for windows 95?
View Quote

Try this -  [url]http://www.bootdisk.com/[/url]

C'mon guys - this is Windoze, not Rocket Science.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#13]
If it`s anything like the gateway we got, reman parts....although they will never admit, and I didn`t tell you this..........[devil]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top