Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2001 5:58:25 AM EDT
Coalition to Stop Gun Violence Statement on Increased Gun Sales In Wake of Terrorist Attacks

WASHINGTON, Oct. 2 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The following was released today by the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence:
Desire For Protection Is Understandable, But Buying More Guns Won't Make Us Safer
[b] I'm safer [/b]
A Statement by Michael Beard, President of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence

"The outpouring of patriotism and national pride in the wake of the terrorist attacks of September 11 has been truly remarkable. As the country recovers and prepares for a response, there is the overwhelming sense that we are doing so together, as a unified nation.

"However, one response to the attacks is troubling. There are ongoing reports from around the country of an increase in gun sales. The reason is clear: Americans are apprehensive, and are actively seeking ways to gain a greater sense of protection and security.
[b] the response that troubles me is the morons that are actually siding with the terrorist[/b]
"While these motives are understandable, we must remember what research has clearly shown: a gun in the home is far more likely to be involved in an unintended tragedy than in self protection. For evidence of this, one need look no further than Virginia, where a three-year old boy accidentally shot himself with the very handgun his father brought into the home to protect his family in the wake of the attacks. [b] remember this story? (a gun hanging from a curtain rod) the father is extremely stupid or there was something else going on.  Do these people actually think they are going to be able to solve the plague of stupidity[/b]

"What is more, as law abiding citizens arm themselves, criminals and others with sinister motives are able to do exactly the same because of our nation's lax gun laws. [b]really![/b]Criminals of all stripes can easily buy a gun from a gun show[b]legally? form the show?[/b], over the Internet, or through the classified ads with no background check, no questions asked.

"In light of these circumstances, the Coalition urges citizens to think twice before bringing guns into their homes, and urges Congress to again take up legislation to prohibit the unregulated sale of guns.[b]sure that will work, just like the unregulated sale of crack[/b]

"In the end, real protection for Americans will mean not arming every family but ensuring that people who should not have guns cannot get them -- that means strong gun laws."  
[b] and he forgot to add that --THAT MEANS YOU![/b]

Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:11:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Buying More Guns Won't Make Us Safer
View Quote

Maybe not...but at least if I get attacked I have a chance to even the odds.  

Quoted:
"While these motives are understandable, we must remember what research has clearly shown: a gun in the home is far more likely to be involved in an unintended tragedy than in self protection. For evidence of this, one need look no further than Virginia, where a three-year old boy accidentally shot himself with the very handgun his father brought into the home to protect his family in the wake of the attacks.
View Quote

If this is such a problem why is it they can never seem to come up with another instance.  The way they make it sound there should be at least 50 new instances a day.  Well....let's hear 'em (listens)....I didn't think so.  Try again.

Quoted:
"What is more, as law abiding citizens arm themselves, criminals and others with sinister motives are able to do exactly the same because of our nation's lax gun laws. Criminals of all stripes can easily buy a gun from a gun show, over the Internet, or through the classified ads with no background check, no questions asked.
View Quote

Not that I say I really agree with this passage but he just gave his own strong reason to have a gun to protecct yourself to even the odds.  Isn't he supposed to be talking people out of this????  

Sounds like another moron to me!!!!!

Anyone else think so??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top