Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2001 5:48:09 AM EDT
[url]http://www.firstmonday2001.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Well sign me up for a (free) membership! They can send me post-paid envelopes and I can send them a couple ounces of flattened fishing sinkers - just like the MMM! [}:D]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:34:14 AM EDT
[#2]
OOoooH!!! I want to be an (dis)organizer!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:35:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Lead weights are at the ready!  New (dis)organizers are joining every minute!
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:41:09 AM EDT
[#4]
On First Monday 2001, the Alliance for Justice and Physicians for Social Responsibility will announce the formation of a new, grassroots student network, Gun Industry Watch (GIW). The on-line student network will keep tabs on the gun industry and gun lobby and highlight dishonest and dangerous practices surrounding the marketing, sales and distribution of guns. The Alliance for Justice and PSR will help keep students informed and active with regularly e-mailed newsletters and action agendas.

Ongoing Activities
In the coming months, Gun Industry Watch will keep pressure on the gun industry and gun lobby by:

Promoting a code of conduct for business practices of manufacturers and dealers.
Demanding an end to deceptive advertising.
Work for integrated safety locks on all weapons.
Support legislation in Congress to apply consumer product safety standards to firearms.
End use of Eddie Eagle and any mascots or cartoon characters that familiarize children with guns.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:56:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
On First Monday 2001, the Alliance for Justice and Physicians for Social Responsibility will announce the formation of a new, grassroots student network, Gun Industry Watch (GIW). The on-line student network will keep tabs on the gun industry and gun lobby and highlight dishonest and dangerous practices surrounding the marketing, sales and distribution of guns.
View Quote

Maybe gun owners should pony up and start some sort of hootenanny grassroots organization to keep a watch on the medical profession.  Just because we care.

-SARguy
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:57:06 AM EDT
[#6]
No community, no family, no American is unaffected by gun violence. Gun violence
                                claims the lives of more than 32,000 people each year and injures an estimated
                                90,000 more. Gun violence takes a particular toll on young people.
View Quote

[b]No community, no family, no American is unaffected by Physician violence. Physician violence
                                claims the lives of more than 100,000 people each year and injures an estimated
                                300,000 more. Physician violence takes a particular toll on young people.[/b]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:19:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Anybody wanna send this to them?

[b]Number of physicians in the United States 700,000
Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year 120,000
Accidental deaths per physician 0.171
Number of firearm owners in the U.S. 80,000,000
Number of accidental firearm deaths per year 1,500
Accidental deaths per firearm owner 0.0000188
Doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than firearms owners. --From the Benton County News Tribune, 17 November 1999[/b]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:24:57 AM EDT
[#8]
http://www.firstmonday2001.com/informed/organizers/facts.pdf

I notice in the first set of propaganda numbers that adult males who are killed are considered irrelevant by their exclusion as a numbered group.  I guess there's no emotional tug or scare factor with that group.  Though, "women and girls" and "youth and children" rate special mention.

Of course, I like the tired old line that gun manufacturers and dealers are the only ones in the country who aren't at all regulated.  We probably would have a lot fewer problems if that were true. [:)]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:32:16 AM EDT
[#9]
When: Monday, October 1, 2001

First Monday 2001: Unite to End Gun Violence is a national campaign coordinated by the Alliance for Justice and Physicians for Social Responsibility. Led by young people, First Monday promotes education and action to end gun violence. More than 140 national and state groups have co-sponsored First Monday 2001, including the Brady Campaign, the Million Mom March, the[b] National Education Association[/b], the American Bar Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Public Health Association, the Children's Defense Fund, and the United States Student Association.

No, they are not trying to indoctrinate
children.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#10]
From their main web page I selected my "State" and found the name of the schools/colleges that are participants.  I will be contacting them to point out the misrepresentations of this organization and to voice my disapproval.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#11]
from their site:
Sheen introduces and closes the film which focuses on the stories of three gun violence victims who lost their lives. Twenty-eight-year-old Songha Willis was robbed outside a night club, the perpetrators shot and killed him even though he handed over his wallet to them. Fifteen-year-old Kenzo Dix died as the result of an accidental shooting when a gun that he and a classmate were playing with went off. There was one bullet left in the chamber. At nineteen, Sean Woods committed suicide using a handgun. His family and friends were stunned. In addition to telling the tragic stories of these young lives cut short by gun violence, the film includes the diverse perspectives of: a state legislator, a gun advocate, a gun dealer, a doctor and a law enforcement officer, and exposes the myths perpetuated by the National Rifle Association.
---
course I point out the "Fifteen-year-old Kenzo Dix died as the result of an accidental shooting when a gun that he and a classmate were playing with went off. There was one bullet left in the chamber. "

Playing with???  yeah, enuf said.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#12]
You also noticed that you cannot get the exact info of where these meetings are going on.
You have to email them to get into one.
I am in the process of doing it. Talking to someone in Wash to join their ranks.
You also need a form to get the email alerts too.
C-rock
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anybody wanna send this to them?

[b]Number of physicians in the United States 700,000
Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year 120,000
Accidental deaths per physician 0.171
Number of firearm owners in the U.S. 80,000,000
Number of accidental firearm deaths per year 1,500
Accidental deaths per firearm owner 0.0000188
Doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than firearms owners. --From the Benton County News Tribune, 17 November 1999[/b]
View Quote

done, sent to [email] [email protected] [/email]

[50]

same people that want to stop voilence are the same people that think "consuling" instead of stiff jail time is more effective
[whacko]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Why waste perfectly good fishing sinkers?  Collect spent projectiles, lead ones are best, and hammer them flat.  Think of it as recycling. I will send them a magazine full of flattened .45 slugs.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#15]
First Monday has actually been around since last year - I think that 2000 was their first year.  They organized some bullshit campus events at which the usual suspects showed up and pontificated about them eeeevil guns and their psycho redneck owners (no offense to psycho rednecks).  Then they crawled back into the woodwork.

First Monday is a good opportunity for us to confront people and the media with the facts.  I love how the facts work in our favor [:D].

If you have time to spare, and there is a First Monday event in your area, consider doing the following:

1) Print out a bunch of pamphlets, the title of which should prominently be "First Monday 2001"
2) The rest of the text, of course, should have gun truths and facts and how First Monday 2001 is really off base.  Keep it short and sweet - people lose attention after 2 - 3 minutes.  A good source is http://[url]www.geocities.com/gorbe/articles/Ten-Myths-About-Gun-Control.htm[/url]
although the facts will have to be condensed considerably.

3) Pass them out to the attendees as though they are First Monday literature!

If there is enough interest, I volunteer to design a pamphlet and email it out in PDF format.

By the way, will one of you guys post event information as you receive it from First Monday?
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I signed up.

:)
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
... consider doing the following:

1) Print out a bunch of pamphlets, the title of which should prominently be "First Monday 2001"
2) The rest of the text, of course, should have gun truths and facts and how First Monday 2001 is really off base.  Keep it short and sweet - people lose attention after 2 - 3 minutes.  A good source is http://[url]www.geocities.com/gorbe/articles/Ten-Myths-About-Gun-Control.htm[/url]
although the facts will have to be condensed considerably.

3) Pass them out to the attendees as though they are First Monday literature!

If there is enough interest, I volunteer to design a pamphlet and email it out in PDF format.

By the way, will one of you guys post event information as you receive it from First Monday?
View Quote

Great ideas! Feel free to email me anything you like about this. I'm in Cincinnati. I noticed they have something going on there.
Will printshops print glossy pamphlets from .PDF files?
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I just joined.  

We should have a forum to organize against all anti-gun groups.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I went to the rally they held in 2000 at the steps of the state building in Boston, MA. Senator Jacques (rhymes with fakes) gave her speech along with "I own a shotgun" Sen. John Rosenthal. They had some problems afterwards when we talked to some of the city year kids they used to set up their kiddie shoe display. You can read more about it here: [url]http://www.citizensfortruth.com/home.html[/url]

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 12:13:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top