Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2001 5:29:59 AM EDT
I was just listening to the local radio show that I always listen to, and one of the guys said this:

"It really scares me when the national guard have to train to use a handgun. Shouldn't they already know how to do that?"

Uhh.. I really don't know what to say to that, but what a moron! I will say that it made me laugh more than it pissed me off..

Ian
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:21:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I would have to agree with the radio host...

Responsible weapons handling should begin early on. If we're all supposed to be part of a "Well Regulated Militia", then they should have already known how to properly use a handgun!
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:27:18 AM EDT
[#2]
They should be proficient in the use of handguns and rifles well before they're old enough to join.  He's absolutely right.  Even though I doubt he meant it the same way I do. [:)]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:28:23 AM EDT
[#3]
one would hope the NG already knows how to use handguns. but then, i'm pretty familiar with mine, and i'm planning to go train some more this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:33:25 AM EDT
[#4]
not siding with the guards (they do have their share of morons), but being proficient with a weapon (or anything actually) does not preclude you from training with it.  

train, train, train til you can do it in your sleep. a sharp knife will cut, but a sharper knife will cut even deeper and smoother.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:40:06 AM EDT
[#5]
America needs a kiddy National Gaurd. I'm not kidding. it would be mostly for training. They would learn how to shoot proficiently, handle weapons, read maps, use a compass, march, etc. Oh wait a minute don't they teach this in the Boy Scouts anymore ? Then, if there is a disaster the kiddy National Gaurd could help in the recovery efforts like my church group did when I was 10. Every child should be taught to be the militia, but should also learn the values necessary to prevent America from rotting into the ground and turning into a Police state.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:00:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I attended a National Guard firepower demo at a County run range some years back... these guardsmen (feel free to substitute the word monkeys) were pulling 223 rounds off of stripper clips and inserting them into the M16 mags one at a time... a buddy and I showed them how the stripper clips were meant to be used.  They were amazed at how much quicker it was...  
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:36:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 8:05:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top