Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2001 4:44:49 PM EDT
[url]http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/WTC_terrorismgunrun_011001.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#2]
for every new gun i buy, i know i did the right thing! so little time and so many guns i want. when the girlfriend gets a job back in new york as a full time pastry chef again, oh baby, look out, then the sale of guns will REALLY go UP!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought one two hours after the towers fell.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:50:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Friggin' [newbie]'s!

First Timers

Dealers report the heaviest sales on the East Coast, especially in gun shops not far from the sites of the terrorist attacks.

"I've been here for 10, 11 years, now, and I have never seen it as busy as it is right now," said Hayward Long, of Blue Ridge Arsenals in Chantilly, Va.

Even out in California sales have shot up 50 percent, the biggest jump since the Los Angeles riots nine years ago.

"We're selling guns almost as fast as we're receiving them," said Randy Garell, a gun store owner in Costa Mesa. "It's first-time gun owners. A lot of first-time gun owners. The store has been like a zoo.

"This is the time when people need to know how to protect themselves," said Tom Ferrell, who bought a rifle in Pasadena. "If you're not a blackbelt or something, what else can you do?"

"I've always been against guns, and having a handgun because if it's not there, no damage can be done," said Chris Roux. "But, just the recent … I have to be prepared."

Still, some first-time gun owners are not 100 percent sure they did the right thing in making that purchase.

"Not 100 percent," said Amy Doherty. "Maybe not even 50 percent."
View Quote

Where's Lordtrader?

He doesn't need a gun because he's a martial arts dude.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 3:49:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:39:06 AM EDT
[#6]
This is typical BS from the national news media.  Notice how they try to under-play/de-emphsize tone of their words. None of the rah-rah stuff.  But more importantly, count the number of actual paragraphs devoted HCI(4 paragrahs) and one sentence as a response from the NRA.  Inspite of the obvious anti-gun rhethoric, a lot of people are not buying their BS.  The old saying of "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...."
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:53:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Los Angeles Times: Gun Sales Jump in Days Since Attack

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-000075440sep20.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dcalifornia

AFTER THE ATTACK
Gun Sales Jump in Days Since Attack
Weapons: Last week saw a spike that may be explained by fear of more violence.
One firm sees many clients as upscale buyers.
By TIM REITERMAN
TIMES STAFF WRITER

September 20 2001

Following last week's terror attacks, gun sales in California rose about 30%
over a similar period last year, the state Department of Justice reported.

The cause of the increase is unclear.

The department received more than 9,000 records of sales from dealers for the
period starting Sept. 10--the day before the attacks--through Sunday, according
to information officer Mike Van Winkle. Last year, there were about 6,900
records of gun sales for the same week in September, Van Winkle said.

The figure is conservative, he said, because some of the records may represent
more than one gun purchase.

Only one handgun can be purchased at a time, but it is legal to buy multiple
long guns together.

Asked whether concerns related to last week's hijackings may have spurred the
increase, Van Winkle said: "We are not speculating because we don't know if
there are other factors involved."

The California Department of Fish and Game announced Aug. 30 that deer hunting
tags were still available.

However, information officer Jack Edwards discounted the possibility that deer
hunters accounted for the increased sales. "Most people going hunting bought
their firearms and licenses a long time earlier," he said.

Annual gun sales in California peaked at about 600,000 a year in the mid-1990s
after the Los Angeles riots but, with occasional spurts, they have declined to
about 350,000 a year, state officials said.

Business at Trader's Sports Inc., one of the biggest gun sellers in the state,
is up about 30% since hijackers crashed jetliners into the World Trade Center
and the Pentagon. And Tony Cucchiara, president of the San Leandro company, said
people are buying not only guns but also ammunition, gas masks, camouflage
pants, water containers and military-style rations called Meals Ready to Eat.

"What happened was that people got another big scare when the Twin Towers were
attacked," he said.

Cucchiara said he ran out of gas masks and is having trouble getting more, but
he received 15 pallets of MREs Wednesday.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:55:00 AM EDT
[#8]
"People are stockpiling," he said, noting that some are buying ammunition by the
case rather than the box.

Many purchasers, he said, are residents of upscale communities who want 12-gauge
shotguns and handguns for personal protection. The most popular MRE, he said, is
fettuccine Alfredo.

"You are seeing people who probably never bought a gun during Y2K," he said.

"This is a group mostly from the suburbs who thought nothing would happen" to
them or their families until last week's attacks.

For information about reprinting this article, go to
http://www.lats.com/rights/register.htm
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:04:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Years ago when I was in college I was the president of the Rifle Club.  I'd show up at the philosophy club meetings to debate in favor of the 2nd Amendment.  After the debate I'd invite my opponents out for a day at the range.

After spending an afternoon shooting a variety of handguns, centerfire and rimfire rifles and perhaps a round or two of skeet - they'd begin to soften their views concerning gun control.

Now is the time to introduce people to firearms ownership, safety, marksmanship and collecting.

Support your friends AFTER they purchase their brand new firearm.  Hell, I always buy the ammo if someone asks about getting into the shooting sports.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:29:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:45:53 AM EDT
[#11]
MMMM buy ammo buy the case....got to go,need more  bullets, before the liberals buythem all up
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#12]
The reason there was only a 30% increase in California if because we already stocked up in 1999 in preparation of the AW ban. I heard the numbers are higher in the free states.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am bringing two newbies to the next gun show for their first pistol purchases. I don't see anything wrong with folks finally waking up to the fact people need to take care of themselves.[uzi]
View Quote

Gunnut,

If your in the Northern Virginia area, take them to Virginia Arms in Manassas. Bernie is good people. And He'll be there after the sale to help them as well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#14]
[img]http://a320.g.akamaitech.net/7/320/622/10002090302853/abcnews.go.com/media/WNT/images/abc_wnt_cochran_011001_nh.jpg[/img]
Ohhhhh! this big gun make me soooo horney!
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Well all I have to say, good thing WE ALL have a head start on the newbies.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
[img]http://a320.g.akamaitech.net/7/320/622/10002090302853/abcnews.go.com/media/WNT/images/abc_wnt_cochran_011001_nh.jpg[/img]
Ohhhhh! this big gun make me soooo horney!
View Quote

What do we get for [strike]$10.00[/strike], uh make that $2.00?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top