Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2001 3:01:39 PM EDT
I have about $1,000+ coming in that I'm dedicating to gun purchases. This is how I'm planning on spending it:

2 SAR-2's - $520 including transfer fees / shipping
2K rounds 5.45x39 = $200
1 Kobra Red Dot Scope: $135
1 USA polymer stock set: $85
Total: $940

But then I realize that winter is coming and I won't have much time to spend at an outdoor range. So instead I might just buy 1 SAR-2, and take $260 off the price total, leaving $320 to spend elsewhere.

Now here's how I might spend the difference:
1 Bulgarian Mak: $125
1 Case 4x18: $115

Or maybe
1 Taurus PT-145 $360
500 rounds 45 acp: $119

Now, I have no evil assault rifles at this time. I also own no mak's or 45's. However, my state doesn't allow concealed carry.  

Pro's of 2 SAR's: Never know when they could be banned. Cheap now. Reliable. Relatively cheap ammo.
Cons: Can't shoot 2 at a time, need outdoor range so practice is limited
----
Pros of the makarov: Cheap Cheap Cheap. Ammo Cheap, Guns Cheap. Mags Cheap.
Cons: 8 rounds only, not terribly powerful
----
Pros of PT-145: 10+1 45 ACP, compact, inexpensive compared to other .45's
Cons: .45 acp ammo is expensive

Opinions, anyone?
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I forgot to mention I have gigantic breasts and long blonde hair.

Nobody wants to share their wisdom?????
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#3]
How big are your breasts?
Just kidding.
I'd get one rifle (probably not an SAR, more likely a Bushmaster)
One pistol
Lots of ammo and accessories.
The accessories are the killer.
They add up fast
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Skip the Tarus go with Glock,Sig,HK or Berreta
You might want to consider 9MM cheaper to shoot and with the right ammo its no slotch in the deffence department.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I would skip the Kobra, they are fairly brittle for such a rugged rifle.
Personaly I would go for the 7.62x39. I think ammo will be available for a long time for the AK47. plus the steel core stuff acts like a mini AP round and penetrates steel and glass better.
The mouse round is more accurate and has a rep for devastating flesh wounds but at the expense of the nature of a light bullet. The 762 rusky has a mean rep for flesh wounds also.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#6]
You can buy me an AR10, they're for sale down the street. [:)]

No "evil assault weapon"? get one, and also get a good sidearm, such as a Glock or H&K, and plenty of ammo/ accessories. FWIW if SHTF then a CCW won't mean shyt. I'm sure it's been posted here but a pistol is what you use till you get to your rifle, and it's easier to keep on you with the right holster.

edited to add that 9mm is fairly inexpensive and abundant.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I already have a 9mm in the HS2000.

Plus, I have 16 30rd ak74 mags and 10 30rd ak47 mags. I know I'm going with the ak74 route since I've heard better reports about the accuracy of the weapon.

The main dilema I have right now is:
A) Buying a rifle (the second sar-2) that I probably won't be able to shoot much for 6 months, but it could disappear on the whim of the BATF
B) Buying a handgun that could be shot year around, but the choice is between cheap to buy and shoot (but low power) and Not so cheap and expensive to shoot (but a big ass bullet)

decisions, decisions
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I would just go with one rifle, maybe stock up on some parts for it.  If you are not use to shooting a rifle, the 74 is a lite round to shoot,I shot a SAR-2 once, and it is lite on the recoil.  I have heard good things about the corba, but never really used one.  I would first suggest learning to use the sites.  
I have a Mak, and I like.  It is a small pistol, and hitting stuff at 21 feet is a breeze. They have a fixed barrel on the frame.  Only thing is, its not lefty friendly.  In a pinch, you can put them in center mass, and 8 shots should be enough.  Ammo is cheap by mail order too.  
Another on the 74, those balkilike mags, can you keep them loaded for long periods of time?
c-rock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top