Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2001 6:12:06 AM EDT
Do you have a gas mask? For your family?  Just curious.  News is saying they are a waste of money.  I don't think so, but I figure you guys will be the experts.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:17:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a few gas masks, but i'm considering selling them on ebay since they are going for such outrageous prices.  I would say that, yes, they pretty much are a waste of money.  You would pretty much have to wear it constantly considering the fact that you would never know if you were being exposed... Furthermore, you would need a complete NBC suit, along with decontamination facilities and a motherload of filters... So, pretty much the only people who will truly benefit from this are the sellers and manufacterors... but still, they are good to have... i just wouldnt pay the hundreds of dollars for one when they normally go for less than 20-30 bucks...
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought mine for JBTs.  If I happen to be able to use it during a chem/bio attack so be it.  One thing for certain is that if you dont have one, you won't use it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had 2, and M17 and an M40. Sold both. I have been to NBC school, and spent a helleva lot of time in MOPP 1-4 on the East German Border. I no longer have access to auto pen injectors. I no longer have access to chemical detectors. I am not going about MOPP 4 24/7, so they will not do any good against a nerve agent attack.
Nerve agents are asborbed by the skin. A tiney drop will kill you. If you do not have a protective outer garment on, and nerve agent antidote available, then you are toast.
Yep, in the case of a Nuke, the mask could offer some protection against radioactive dust particles, possibly against some blood agents, and some bio hazards. But in reality, unless you live near or in a high threat target, they ain't gonna bother with you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top