Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2007 11:28:46 PM EDT
Here's what happened Thursday the 19th:

MB (my wife) was out on the deck, and she came in to have me look at something outside. The quarry owns a large field behind our property, and when I was talking with the owner last week he said they've been having lots of trouble with trespassers lately.
When we got outside MB points into the field and through the trees along the creek bank we can see a growing fire. I called and got the FD out here, and when they got back there someone ran off. They had a tent set up with two sleeping bags in it! That's a bold trespasser to set up camp and light a fire.
There's no way to drive in there, so they carried what water they could, and took shovels along to bury the fire.

Trespassers.

Now, here's what happened today:

Today at about 3pm I was doing some stuff in the back yard, and when I heard something moving in the leaves down in the creek I look over and see a trespasser with two dogs. He doesn't even look over, so I go zipping over to the creek bank on my scooter. We both said hi, then I asked him which direction he came from to get in here, and he pointed up the creek to the north which is the quarry's property. Then he says he's looking for his other dog, and wants to know if I've seen it. I told him no, then I told him that I know the quarry doesn't want any trespassers. Then I pointed at my targets, which he then realized he was directly behind, and I told him I do a lot of shooting on my property. He told me that when he was a kid he used to walk this entire area, but then he said he won't come this way anymore. I gave him the thumbsup and went back to what I was doing.
Fast forward several hours to about an hour after sunset, and I finished what I was doing out in the front yard and headed around back to clean the mud off me with the hose before going in. I didn't get that far, because right away I see that there's another fire built at the same spot as last time in the quarry's field near the creek. We called the quarry guy and the fire department again, and since sirens were used the trespassers ran off again. After they put the fire out we talked for a while, and they said they'll make a note to come in silent and also to have extra vehicles go to the most likely escape routes before they head in there. If they can catch these guys they've got the trespassing charge because it's purple painted, plus if they have a fire going again they'll also be charged with arson.

Just one more reason I hate summer.
All the lowlifes come out.....................
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:52:01 PM EDT
[#1]
beartraps + landmines = problem solved.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:58:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to have a real issue with it when we got our house built on our land. People had gotten used to tramping through with no regard for our property lines or fences they were hopping to get into it.

So, I built a range on the property and lined the outer perimeter with signs that said "Shooting Range! Do not enter, live fire ahead!!", which seems to have discouraged mushroom hunters, deer poachers and other doofuses from coming around.

That, and the 100,000 or so rounds I expended last year with the help of the Ohio ARFcommers.

One time, right after I first built the range I found this hippy couple picking up my osage oranges (hedge apples for you southerners), and putting them into bags. I stopped my quad, walked over and asked them what they were doing.

"Oh, we use these for "green" bug control and sell them on the internet".
I said "Well, that's nice, but those don't belong to you to sell. Now drop them and get off my property". They looked totally shocked (I'm hauling AR's on the front rack of the quad, btw).
The hippy guy says "We always come here to pick them".
So I say "Not anymore, you were trespassing and stealing before I lived here, the only difference is now there's someone with eyes on you to say no."
The guy gets all defensive and starts saying I'm threatening him (which I did nothing of the sort). So I tell him to drop the hedge apples and leave.
"Why should I drop them? I picked them up, you have a bunch to spare".
So I tell him "Look, retard, I fucking live here. These belong to me, I pay the taxes on the tree you picked them up from, and I will use them. Not you."
Finally hippy dork and his hag walk off and I never see them again. So, I took his bag of hedge apples back to the range and shot them all.

People are really weird with land. They think because it's not developed it's public. No, fuckhead, it's someone's property that THEY maintain, that THEY pay for. Why is that so strange a concept for the city turds?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah, they are a PITA.  It's funny when you try to run them off your land, they act like you are the asshole.  God that pisses me off.  The shitty thing is that it even has to come to asking them to leave your property.  It seems like people can't just leave shit alone, they treat anything that isn't theirs like shit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:18:17 AM EDT
[#4]
claymores + trail-walkers = vulture food
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
beartraps + landmines = problem solved.

Link Posted: 4/23/2007 1:55:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
snip...

People are really weird with land. They think because it's not developed it's public. No, fuckhead, it's someone's property that THEY maintain, that THEY pay for. Why is that so strange a concept for the city turds?

When I tell younger folks that there's not an inch of the Earth (with the exception of Antartica) where you can go and not be standing on land that belongs to some person, business or government, they look at me like I am crazy.

(I am, but that's beside the point)
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 2:00:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
snip...

When I tell younger folks that there's not an inch of the Earth (with the exception of Antartica) where you can go and not be standing on land that belongs to some person, business or government, they look at me like I am crazy.

(I am, but that's beside the point)

It's a good thing to learn. When I've encountered interlopers they've given me the "Well, we've always come here to hunt" bullshit. What kind of excuse is that?

It's like saying "Well, I've been having sex with this comatose lady for years, I never knew she wasn't into it!"

Hey, dumbfuck, the bitch is awake now, and she's pissed. Just because you have gotten away with something doesn't mean you still should, or that it was ever your right.

Link Posted: 4/23/2007 5:05:38 AM EDT
[#8]
My favorite trespassers are the ones that tell you that you are on their land. Almost as good are the ones who tell you that they are friends of the the owner and have "special permission" to come on the land whenever they want.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 5:18:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My favorite trespassers are the ones that tell you that you are on their land. Almost as good are the ones who tell you that they are friends of the the owner and have "special permossion" to come on the land whenever they want.

I always ask them.  "What's my name then?"

Wait until you have idiots that thnk your windmills, pumps and water tanks are targets.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 5:30:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Arson charges for a campfire?  
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 5:33:22 AM EDT
[#11]
if you own land its a part of life
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 5:36:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Arson charges for a campfire?  
ar·son (är'sən)
n.
The crime of maliciously, voluntarily, and willfully setting fire to the building, buildings, or other property of another or of burning one's own property for an improper purpose, as to collect insurance.

Criminal trespass or criminal destruction of property are more likely charges, but setting fires on other people's property is arson.

Such charges can easily be avoided by respecting people's property and obtaining permission before using it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 5:38:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
n.
The crime of maliciously, voluntarily, and willfully setting fire to the building, buildings, or other property of another or of burning one's own property for an improper purpose, as to collect insurance.

Criminal trespass or criminal destruction of property are more likely charges, but setting fires on other people's property is arson.

Such charges can easily be avoided by respecting people's property and obtaining permission before using it.

I'm not saying trespassing isn't wrong, but how is a campfire arson, even by your definition?  Assuming they brought their own firewood, of course.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 5:48:34 AM EDT
[#14]
We've started having problems with trespassers within the last few weeks. Our property is divided into 2 lots that are 1/4 mile away from each other on a county road. My grandfather was checking the cattle on the larger plot and came across some people from Houston that were supposedly looking for the neighbors house who lives behind that part of the spread.

He didn't think much of it, then found out they had stolen all the barb wire that he had set out to expand the hay pasture.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 5:49:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I feel for you OP.

I have the same problem with folks coming in the overland way to fish in my largest lake.

Link Posted: 4/23/2007 5:50:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
n.

I'm not saying trespassing isn't wrong, but how is a campfire arson, even by your definition?  Assuming they brought their own firewood, of course.
Assuming that they brought their own wood(which is possible but unlikely), you could make an arguement that property includes the land itself, and anything growing in it or on it.  If I hauled in wood and set up a campfire in the middle of the fairway of a golf course, wouldn't I have intentionally destroyed property? I'd like to think that someone setting a campfire would at least do it on bare ground, away from everything else, but I wouldn't count on it.

A campfire is just a fire. It shouldn't be considered any different than a fire set for any other reason. It doesn't make much difference if they hauled in some wood and made a fire to toast marshmallows or if they hauled in a truckload of old tires and built a bonfire(people have done both on the land that I used to help manage).
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#17]

It's like saying "Well, I've been having sex with this comatose lady for years, I never knew she wasn't into it!"

Hey, dumbfuck, the bitch is awake now, and she's pissed. Just because you have gotten away with something doesn't mean you still should, or that it was ever your right.

That's some funny shit.  

It made me laugh.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 6:12:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
...snip... Then he says he's looking for his other dog, and wants to know if I've seen it....snip...

Combatting Trespassers 101 teaches that this "excuse" outnumbers the sum of the rest of the "excuses" by a factor of ten.

Occassionally, you'll catch people on your land who'll have their kids with them so as to lessen the liklihood of confrontation....and then thet'll blame YOU for doing whatever it is you have to do in front of their kids.  

The only thing that works is either the application of physical pain, or the application of financial pain, or both, but be sure to let LE and the CJS administer either or both, or ironically, it'll be you that gets in trouble.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#19]
The wood they're burning is being collected on site, and the firefighters said they had the burning wood stacked about four feet high. I'd guess the flames were ten to fifteen feet high at times.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#20]
be careful with the streambed one, depending on your state the laws may grant passage access. In Maine for istance you can lawfully travel up any stream that is big enough at some point in the year to float a 4' pulp log. this included walking at low water times.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 8:02:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

That, and the 100,000 or so rounds I expended last year with the help of the Ohio ARFcommers.

Glad to be of service.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The wood they're burning is being collected on site, and the firefighters said they had the burning wood stacked about four feet high. I'd guess the flames were ten to fifteen feet high at times.  

I'd say that's more in the bonfire category and not a campfire.  That's different, especially if there's a chance of the fire spreading.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
So, I took his bag of hedge apples back to the range and shot them all.

Outstanding.  This could only have been better if you had made him carry them to the range and watch you shoot them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#24]
It's even worse when the Trespassers are your extended family.  My parents live around some of my stepdad's other family.  His mom lives a few yards away and brothers and cousins all live within a 2 mile radius.  We'll my step-dad is a preacher and the family knows that he's gone one Sunday morning.  This is when they'll go and 'borrow' the lawn mower (that is never given back) or go through our back yard to see if there is anything that they may be able to 'borrow'.  The worst is firewood.  My step-dad goes and cuts it down himself and they'll come and get some to use to bbq.  They also hunt on our property.  Without permission.

My step-dad is considering moving to another church.  It is bad juju to sell your house when moving church to church.  So they offered for my hubby and I to move in when they leave.  When this happens, we'll have these "family members" to deal with.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#25]
The worlds population is going up not down, so get used to it. Especially with the liberal attitude of love and acceptance and pacifism, and tolerance.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 9:30:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I called the sheriff on a couple of late-teen tresspassers about a year ago that basically told me to fuck off, they'd walk where they wanted...and what was I going to do about it..kick their asses?  Nope...wouldn't even try taking on two young studs like them any more...they'd kill me!  I considered retrieving my Mossy M590...but figured I'd get busted by the sheriff for brandishing, so I just called.

Within about two minutes, an officer showed up.  Seems he had been about a mile away investigating a vandalizing of some heavy equipment on a nearby home development site.  Also seems the the description of the two, late-teen male perps very closely fitted the excellent description of the two tresspassers on my land.

After a quick explanation to the deputy as to which way they were headed...I went back in and waited for the results.

Kharma is really a bitch.  See...that deputy lives about a block away too.  He got them...

Funny how that turned out.  Had they just been polite and said they wouldn't tresspass any more...they'd have got away clean.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Luckily I have not had too many problems yet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#28]
We use to own land out side of austin. We always had proublems with idiots trespassing especially during deer season when we would spend more time on the land.

It always facinated me how someone would argue about wether they are trepassing or not with a 30-30 pointed at them. Arguements usally stopped about the time the click of the hammer as it is pulled back.

Averaged about 8 to 10 people being arrested for trespassing and only had to fire my gun once to make a point with one idiot(did not shoot him only fired off to the side  because he made threating movements toward me).

Link Posted: 4/23/2007 9:46:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Here's what happened Thursday the 19th:

[snip]

Just one more reason I hate summer.
All the lowlifes come out.....................

Now I remember why I always hated this stupid song.  Tesla (and Five Man Electrical Band) sucked.

And the sign says "Anybody caught trespassing will be shot on sight"
So I jumped the fence and I yelled at the house
Hey! What gives you the right!
To put up a fence and keep me out, or to keep Mother Nature in
If God was here, he'd tell it to your face, man, you're some kind of sinner
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 9:49:17 AM EDT
[#30]
The only areas that I find are hazy are old mining claims in the National Forest.  I used to spend alot of time in the woods of Colorado and Wyoming, and there are alot of these old claims.  Technically, most of them are BLM or USFS now, but some of them are owned by some local hermit.  

I don't like tresspassers either, especially when they act like assholes.  First they tresspass, then they see something they want and " the owner obviously wasn't using," so they steal it.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#31]
I used to have tons of problems when I lived in the city. People would cross into my yard from the ally. Even with 2 dogs. Now I live out a ways and have 2.5acres. The problem is solved for the most part. I have thought about putting up used targets on posts at the end of the drive way just as a of telling someone that if you are in my drive way I have the ability (not the right) but I am able to hit you. I worry about the fact of advertising that I have guns. Kinda like a "steal me" sticker on a car.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The worlds population is going up not down, so get used to it. Especially with the liberal attitude of love and acceptance and pacifism, and tolerance.

Except when they disagree with you.

I had a tresspassing and theft problem. So I started taking their picture with a digital camera. Totally non-threatening and freaks them right the f*ck out.

They stopped coming around after that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Do you guys get complaints from trespassers?

We had visits from the police who had been called by irate trespassers several times.

One called after attempting to jump a recently electrified fence, while several more actually showed up at the front door with the police in tow, demanding to know why we were shooting while their children were trespassing on the land with dirt bikes and atvs.

We even had a poacher call the police for assistance after we took one of the wheels off of his truck while he was in the woods.

Eventually, our "Multidirectional Gunfire Beyond This Point" signs and our willingness to strip parts off of trespassers' vehicles created an environment that was unfriendly enough to keep them away.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 10:34:37 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So, I took his bag of hedge apples back to the range and shot them all.

Outstanding.  This could only have been better if you had made him carry them to the range and watch hold them while you shoot them.

fixed it for you

Always post and always prosecute.  Otherwise the MF's will be back when they think you won't be around.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't have any open property yet (but yet I dream!) but I've heard all sorts of ludicrous stories from friends who do have 'em.   Friend of mine in MO painted his border trees (forget the color, it was like purple or blue or something) and posted 'No trespassing' signs.  Couple friends of his got hammered one weekend out there and put up a few of those "Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again" signs under them.  Oddly enough since then there haven't been any complaints.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#36]
I had a problem with kids cutting through my woods and backyard until I actually caught them at it and introduced them to my dog. I told them if I ever saw them again, I would turn the dog loose. With eyes as big as saucers, they swore they'd never be back, and haven't.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Anyone remember that episode of Futurama?

"Unless this is a nude love-in, get the hell off my property!"

"Hey, you can't own property, man!"

"Yes I can, because I'm not a dirty hippy!"
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Hunters seem to be the worst around my part of the woods. They just KNOW that huge buck is waiting just over there, on my land.  They tramp down everything in their way, leave all their trash etc.  They know they are not supposed to be there but they do it anyhow.  Then they bitch about all the scum that tries to poach on THEIR land.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top