Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2007 9:40:38 PM EDT
I don't have all the details so I'll start from the beggining.

about 9:30 last night my daughter notices blue lights outside our house. I put on my pistol and flash light (I know a ton of local cops) and went out side. there was a mecury (crown vic if it was a ford) with both drivers doors open and a carseat half hanging out the back seat. there is a fire truck down the road and and ambulance right infront of the merc. 4 cop cars and a vaulenteer fire truck in the road as well. the house catty corner to mine (left side) has lots of people standing in the yard and road. I think " house fire" . about that time a cop I know very well walks up and says " a kids been run over , bad stuff". it blew me away . I talk to my neighbors that have just walked outside and tell them (one was an EMS or EMT) . then tell my wife what happened after I go back in the house. the house this happened at is a friend from work  inlaws house and he shows up.

some time passes and he (work friend ) leaves with some of the kids and fills me in on what happened before he goes to the hospital.

the grandmother and a couple of others were going to go to the store. she set one kid ( either 2 or 4 ) in the front seat of the merc. as she was putting the baby (either 5 or 11 mo.) into the back ,the kid in the front knocked the car out of gear . she panicked and dropped the baby (was told she's going senile) . the car then rolled down the drive and over the baby (head and chest told later by cops) .

my friend called me up today around 2pm and told me the baby died at around 3AM this morning.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#1]
That actually happens more often than you think. Quit a few kids get get run over in their own driveways by a family member backing the car out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That actually happens more often than you think. Quit a few kids get get run over in their own driveways by a family member backing the car out.

That happened at least twice in the last several months here in Hawaii.  Tragic event.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:54:00 PM EDT
[#3]
When I was 4 my grandmother pulled in front of the house to pick me up.

I went to get in and slipped and fell between the car and the curb.

Grandma freaked and tried to reach over across the bench seat and grab me (remember this was pre car seat hysteria).   She knocked the car out of park, then hit the gas as she tried to slam the brakes.   I was ragdolled between the door and the curb and she barely got stopped as the rear tire started really kicking my ass.   To this day I remember vividly everything right up to the accident, but nothing else until I woke up in the hospital a week later.  

Two months in the hospital for that one.   Oh and last rights and the whole bit.   Grandma has never forgiven herself, but I have.

She's still with us too, and I do everything I can to let my little girl spend time with her great grandmother.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Not to sound callous, but...

Most of these "slipped into gear" accidents could have been prevented if applying the parking brake was an automatic, reflexive part of the driver's habits - just like they teach in most driver's ed classes.

Simply put, this is an accident that arises out of poor driving habits.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:04:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Not really shocked. My parents ran over my bicycle more than once.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:08:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top