Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2007 7:03:30 PM EDT
Okay, there are tons of websites out there that sell automatic (switchblade) knives.  Some mention that it is illegal to ship over state lines.

So what's the deal?  In Idaho, where I live, it is legal to own switchblade knives.

What is your experience with ordering these knives off the internet?

Thanks,

Fidel
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that you will find that it is illegal to ship them across state lines.

Try gun shows if you haven't already.

Frequently you will find a vendor or two that has a pretty good selection.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

There are no federal laws prohibiting the shipment of auto opening knives across state lines. Some states have thier own laws making it illegal to ship them in, or for people to own or carry them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Really, several of the websites state federal laws requiring proof of LEO status to buy autos.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Whoever knowingly introduces, or manufactures for introduction, into interstate commerce, or transports or distributes in interstate commerce, any switchblade knife, shall be fined not more than $2,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

15 USC 1242
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are no federal laws prohibiting the shipment of auto opening knives across state lines.

I still don't think that it is legal.

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Really, several of the websites state federal laws requiring proof of LEO status to buy autos.

Try pvknife.com  Nothing on their website that says Jack Shite about being an LEO

It appears that the laws in Oregon are very liberal about automatic knives.

Check out  http://www.amatecon.com/switchblade.html

The .gov would have to be very hard up or already looking at you if they wanted to prosecute you for a steenking sweetchblade

ETA:  I see you are in I-da-ho, which has the same laws as Oregun.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 5:53:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't carry one, even though I like 'em.

They are legal in FL, but I am not counting on  the police realizing this in the event I do get stopped for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 5:59:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Whoever knowingly introduces, or manufactures for introduction, into interstate commerce, or transports or distributes in interstate commerce, any switchblade knife, shall be fined not more than $2,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

15 USC 1242

then how to gunshows.   and several stores here GET the autoknives ?  

Link Posted: 4/23/2007 6:03:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I am not qualified to speak to the legal issues.

I will give a word to the wise, when buying auto-knives, you definately get what you pay for.  Even more so than when buying regular knives.

I have found the "assisted opening" knives to be generally of more practical value for the $$$ spent.  YMMV
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#10]
It is a violation of Federal law to ship an automatic knife across state lines except to a member of the armed services or an LEO in performance of their duties, there is an exception for knives less than three inches if the user has only one arm.
One of the local stores told me they get the knives in kit form and and assemble them upon arrival to avoid breaking the law.
Oregon is the place if you like autos, Oregon supreme court ruled that automatic knives are protected by the state constitution! Benchmade and Lone Wolf are both located in the state as well as several other makers.

ETA - Each state can have it's own laws for possession of auto knives, the law only applied to interstate commerce, back then Congress apparently understood the interstate commerce clause better than today.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 6:09:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I collect auto knives and have bought quite a few from different web sites. As I understand it, it is against the law to send them across state lines vis U.S. mail. All the knives I have bought came via other shippers, none U.S.P.S. I have never had a problem recieving the knives I've bought. I think everyone realizes there are far more important things to worry about than a pocket knife of any description.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 6:18:31 AM EDT
[#12]
So are automatic knives legal to carry with a ccw ?
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 6:23:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Depends on the state and local laws.

-JTP
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 6:52:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on the state and local laws.

-JTP

True,   a Fla.  CCW license spells out the legality of weapons other than handguns and knives are among them.....course of you go across the line into Ga....you are toast from what I understand.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 6:54:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Anybody know about KS law?
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 7:00:11 AM EDT
[#16]
packing.org has a section on each state's information page concerning the knife laws of that state.

Link to a knife law website
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 7:10:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

not true.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 7:12:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

They are legal in FL, but I am not counting on  the police realizing this in the event I do get stopped for whatever reason.

So, you are saying run scared?
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 7:13:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It is a violation of Federal law to ship an automatic knife across state lines except to a member of the armed services or an LEO in performance of their duties, there is an exception for knives less than three inches if the user has only one arm.
One of the local stores told me they get the knives in kit form and and assemble them upon arrival to avoid breaking the law.
Oregon is the place if you like autos, Oregon supreme court ruled that automatic knives are protected by the state constitution! Benchmade and Lone Wolf are both located in the state as well as several other makers.

Not in Oregon.  This like many laws does not  apply to ALL states, they just want you think it does.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 7:16:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Sections 1242 and 1243 of this title shall not apply to—
(1) any common carrier or contract carrier, with respect to any switchblade knife shipped, transported, or delivered for shipment in interstate commerce in the ordinary course of business;
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 7:28:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
packing.org has a section on each state's information page concerning the knife laws of that state.

Link to a knife law website

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 7:29:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Find the one you like, order it, and when it shows, be happy.

I purchased my Pro-Tech Godfather online from onestopknifeshop.com  and 2 days later it arrived.

AB
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 7:33:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't know about shipping accross lines, but as far as owning one in idaho, You can buy them in sportmans warehouse.In idaho
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I don't know about shipping accross lines, but as far as owning one in idaho, You can buy them in sportmans warehouse.In idaho

Same in Utah, although you need LEO/MIL ID to purchase.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 8:29:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Automatics Knives are not illegal by Federal Law. There is a law in place by the post office stating that you can not ship them using their services. UPS, Fedex, etc is no problem.
If your state doensn't have a law on the books for them your all set. In N.H. the law states you can purchase and own them but they must stay in your home unless you are hunting or on duty as a LEO.
The only time a civilian can have a switch blade on their person is if you are in the woods hunting. I spoke with a LEO and he interperted the N.H. law as meaning as long as you have a valid hunting license in one poket your OK to carry a switch in the other.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Can a person move to one state to another with automatic knives or do they have to ship them to their new address by UPS,ect?

Link Posted: 4/23/2007 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

not true.

What is not true?
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Can a person move to one state to another with automatic knives or do they have to ship them to their new address by UPS,ect?

I would think that if you are driving through a state where they are illegal then they are illegal.

Whats the odds of a cop going through your personal possessions?  Probably 1 in a million.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

15 USC 1242

then how to gunshows.   and several stores here GET the autoknives ?  

Read the 'Exceptions' clause in USC 1242.

I see them at gunshows, know people (read: civilians) who have ordered them off the net, and even brought them back from Mexico (declared through customs) without any problems.  If they were illegal to sell/send to customer, then I doubt anybody would be selling them.

I'm not a lawyer, nor have I ever claimed to be, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express, once.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I have ordered plenty of them off the net. Some were shipped to me USPS Priority Mail.

Blade HQ has quite a few to choose from.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Sections 1242 and 1243 of this title shall not apply to—

(1) any common carrier or contract carrier, with respect to any switchblade knife shipped, transported, or delivered for shipment in interstate commerce in the ordinary course of business;

(2) the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce, of switchblade knives pursuant to contract with the Armed Forces;

(3) the Armed Forces or any member or employee thereof acting in the performance of his duty; or

(4) the possession, and transportation upon his person, of any switchblade knife with a blade three inches or less in length by any individual who has only one arm.

15 USC 1244

Did you notice there is no exception for law enforcement officers?  
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Auto law & Legal Status Terms
IN COMPLIANCE WITH FEDERAL STATUTES:
Read carefully all conditions set forth below.
By placing an order with us, you agree that you meet any or all of the following criteria.
Federal law prohibits shipment of automatic knives across state lines, with the following exceptions:
(1) to civilian or Armed Forces supply or procurement officers and employees of the Federal Government ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of the Federal Government;
(2) to supply or procurement officers of the National Guard, the Air National guard, or militia of a state, territory or the District of Columbia ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in the connection with the activities of such organization;
(3) to supply or procurement officers or employees of the municipal government of the District of Columbia or the government of any State or Territory, or any county, city or other political subdivision of a State or Territory; (4) to manufacturers of such knives or bona fide dealers therein in connection with any shipment made pursuant of an order from any person designated in paragraphs (1), (2), and (3).

Blade HQ will sell no such knives to any individual outside the State of Utah without the above conditions being met. This does not apply to automatic knives manufactured and sold within the state of Utah.

www.bladehq.com/cat--Terms-Conditions--96
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Auto law & Legal Status Terms
IN COMPLIANCE WITH FEDERAL STATUTES:
Read carefully all conditions set forth below.
By placing an order with us, you agree that you meet any or all of the following criteria.
Federal law prohibits shipment of automatic knives across state lines, with the following exceptions:
(1) to civilian or Armed Forces supply or procurement officers and employees of the Federal Government ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of the Federal Government;
(2) to supply or procurement officers of the National Guard, the Air National guard, or militia of a state, territory or the District of Columbia ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in the connection with the activities of such organization;
(3) to supply or procurement officers or employees of the municipal government of the District of Columbia or the government of any State or Territory, or any county, city or other political subdivision of a State or Territory; (4) to manufacturers of such knives or bona fide dealers therein in connection with any shipment made pursuant of an order from any person designated in paragraphs (1), (2), and (3).

Blade HQ will sell no such knives to any individual outside the State of Utah without the above conditions being met. This does not apply to automatic knives manufactured and sold within the state of Utah.

www.bladehq.com/cat--Terms-Conditions--96

I don't know about all that. I do no that I have ordered several Auto Knives from them. No questions asked.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, you are saying run scared?

A semi truck is barreling towards the intersection.  There is a crosswalk and you have the right to cross in front of him.  Go right ahead and enjoy your rights.

I'm saying run smart.

I don't need an autoknife to accomplish my defensive or utility needs and I'm not getting arrested by some typical dipshit cop if I'm alone with my kids in the car because he sees a scary, mean, switchblade.

It is a purely tactical decision.

In the society we live in now , as a well trained individual I have a shitload more to worry about from cops and the legal system than some street thug.

Link Posted: 4/23/2007 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Find the one you like, order it, and when it shows, be happy.

I purchased my Pro-Tech Godfather online from onestopknifeshop.com  and 2 days later it arrived.

AB

Yep....they are even cooler when you live a couple blocks away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top