Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2001 1:51:55 AM EDT
Sorry about the rant, just that this stupid Powerbook G4 is not reading the OS 9.1 CD when I hold down "C" at startup.

WTF is wrong?

It just bypasses the CD and heads right into OSX!

Damm fruits!

Apple knowledge base is completely useless!

Suggestions are appreciated and yes, I regularly operate Windows computers only.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 3:35:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Just found out that there a whole bunch of folks with the same problem.

Damm fruits!

So much for being on the cutting edge.

Their knowledge base font is too damm small.  Did I also mention that it was useless?  At least I know I'm not alone.

My eyes are trashed now.

Getting sleepy, later...
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 4:55:00 AM EDT
[#2]
are you using the recovery CDs that came with your TiBook or are you using a retail copy of 9.1? Will it boot of a OS X CD? In the recovery set of cds there is one that says software install try booting off that one
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you reinstalling cuz you don't have the root password?

Boot single user mode (hold control-s or apple-s) on bootup.

go into /etc/startup (could be wrong here) and start everything, in order, up to and including directory services.  

then you can change root's password with the 'passwd' command.

voila.

If you just want to run regular mac stuff, you can launch a MacOS session from the desktop.  

If you really wanna reinstall, good luck, you'll have to fight to make your mac accept a downgrade to the proms which 9.x will require in order to install.

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:01:57 AM EDT
[#4]
What are you trying to accomplish by booting off the 9.1 CD? Are you installing classic under OSX or do you need to reinstall OS 9.1?
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Its a crapintosh. Get used to it.
Let us know what you are doing with 9.1 and we could probably help, I got to Mac guys here at work.
Ice
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#6]
my suggestion,

take yer AR15 and set that piece of trash on yer fence. fire away.

better to be out at the range, than to be "MAC-ing Off" inside, anyway.

ciao

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#7]
There is another key combo that will force a powerbook to boot off a cd.. IIRC, it is shift/option/apple/delet. Give that a try.
Also call apple. If it's a G4 TiBook, it's still under warranty.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:27:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Ah ha!  Try this.  power up and hold down the 'Option' Key.  A list of valid boot volumes will show up.  It is kind of like boot commander on the windows units, only more elegant.  If the 9.1 CD does not show up it is not a bootable disk for your PB

You might also try setting the cd as the Startup CD in the StartUp Disk Control Panel.

If you are using a retail 9.1 that came out at or about the same time as the TiPB it won't boot.  The CD needs to contain the startup resources for yor machine(often referred to as enablers, though they don't really use those anymore).

You will need to install the OS with your original Restore CD's.  You do not have to erase your system before hand.

Please feel free to email me with those Mac ?'s, especially on OS X.  I'd be happy to help.

Zaz
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:35:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:Its a crapintosh. Get used to it.
Ice
View Quote

I don't think he was looking ot be insulted for his purchase.

Zaz
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 12:47:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
are you using the recovery CDs that came with your TiBook or are you using a retail copy of 9.1? Will it boot of a OS X CD? In the recovery set of cds there is one that says software install try booting off that one
View Quote

I am using the retail version $129.00 OSX + OS 9.1 that I bought in July.

I successfully loaded OSX on it without a problem.

It is used and it came with no recovery CD's.

I know I know, but sometimes you buy a gun without a box.

But damm, it sure is a nice looking puter!  It looks better than my Dell C600.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 12:54:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are you reinstalling cuz you don't have the root password?

Boot single user mode (hold control-s or apple-s) on bootup.

go into /etc/startup (could be wrong here) and start everything, in order, up to and including directory services.  

then you can change root's password with the 'passwd' command.

voila.

If you just want to run regular mac stuff, you can launch a MacOS session from the desktop.  

If you really wanna reinstall, good luck, you'll have to fight to make your mac accept a downgrade to the proms which 9.x will require in order to install.

View Quote

No password problem.

View Quote

That sounds like a fight for someone's soul.

Who wins in the end?  I'm afraid it won't be me.[:(]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 12:58:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What are you trying to accomplish by booting off the 9.1 CD? Are you installing classic under OSX or do you need to reinstall OS 9.1?
View Quote

Yes, I was trying to install "classic" 9.1 under OSX which I already loaded successfully.

Even the older G3 400mhz PB I encountered had no problem booting off the cd utilizing the "C" key at startup.

[whacko]Why did they do?[whacko]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 1:21:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Its a crapintosh. Get used to it.
Let us know what you are doing with 9.1 and we could probably help, I got to Mac guys here at work.
Ice
View Quote

No matter how much I try to like and use Apple, Windows keeps pulling me back in!

However, I have two Dell note's at my leisure if I suffer Windows withdrawal symptoms.

Link Posted: 10/3/2001 1:22:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
my suggestion,

take yer AR15 and set that piece of trash on yer fence. fire away.

better to be out at the range, than to be "MAC-ing Off" inside, anyway.

ciao

View Quote

I have a couple old desktops I have to retire soon.  Just taking up space.

I'll send them into space, by blasting them into Oblivian!
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 1:33:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There is another key combo that will force a powerbook to boot off a cd.. IIRC, it is shift/option/apple/delet. Give that a try.
Also call apple. If it's a G4 TiBook, it's still under warranty.

[smoke]
View Quote

Thanks for the info.  It got the CD spinning up and all, but it just flashed a bunch of folders and went nowhere.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 1:47:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ah ha!  Try this.  power up and hold down the 'Option' Key.  A list of valid boot volumes will show up.  It is kind of like boot commander on the windows units, only more elegant.  If the 9.1 CD does not show up it is not a bootable disk for your PB

You might also try setting the cd as the Startup CD in the StartUp Disk Control Panel.

If you are using a retail 9.1 that came out at or about the same time as the TiPB it won't boot.  The CD needs to contain the startup resources for yor machine(often referred to as enablers, though they don't really use those anymore).

You will need to install the OS with your original Restore CD's.  You do not have to erase your system before hand.

Please feel free to email me with those Mac ?'s, especially on OS X.  I'd be happy to help.

Zaz
View Quote

The "option" key thing is pretty cool, but the CD didn't appear as it probably wasn't bootable on a PB G4.

I tried the startup option in OSX and the CD didn't show up.  Just a folder for 9.1.

I bought the retail OSX + OS9.1 in July.

Guess I'll have to locate someone who has original restore disks for the PB G4.

Thanks for all the help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top