Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2007 5:07:07 PM EDT
www.theeagle.com/stories/042007/texas_20070420034.php

Sheriff's office missing 48 guns

CORPUS CHRISTI - Forty-eight firearms are missing from the Nueces County Sheriff's Department, according to an internal investigation.

Sheriff Jim Kaelin said an audit report presented to him when he took office in November prompted the investigation. It found more guns to be unaccounted for than initially thought.

He said the serial numbers of the missing guns, which include shotguns, rifles and handguns, have been reported to a national law enforcement database and classified as stolen.

The department is developing a new inventory system for the 300 guns in its armory, Kaelin said. The system will require each new gun to be carefully cataloged with a record of the officer carrying it.

"Before, the list was fragmented, it was pieced together and a real aberration of what a good accounting for an armory should have been like," Kaelin said. "I was shocked to know they kept a system like they had."

Kaelin said at least 58 guns were missing at one time. The department has repeatedly asked officers to report missing guns. Several weapons have been recovered in places such as patrol car trunks. One gun was found in a suitcase at the bottom of a closet in the department's administration building.

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#1]
This is my shocked face.

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#2]
And in Maine....

25 Handguns Missing From Sheriff's Department

Web Editor:  Matt Bush, Online Content Producer  
Created: 4/20/2007 2:33:20 PM
Updated: 4/20/2007 2:35:40 PM

More than two dozen guns are missing from Washington County Sheriff's Office and officials say it's likely one of their own who stole them

Sheriff Donnie Smith says the department discovered the missing guns from the evidence room when they were looking for a confiscated gun to return. They couldn't find that gun, or twenty-four other guns that had been logged in. Sheriff Smith also says $450 was stolen from petty cash in January, just days before he took office.

Last fall jewelry and coins worth thousands of dollars were also stolen from the evidence room. Sheriff Smith says the public has to know what is going on.

"Somebody in this agency is removing property--no question about it, now or in the past. It has to be exposed and taken care of," said Sheriff Donnie Smith of Machias.

Sheriff Smith says there are nine police officers in the department and only half of them have keys to the evidence room. An investigator from the attorney general's office is expected to be in Machias the first week in May.

NEWS CENTER
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#3]
so when they ban them all and only the police have guns...only the police wont have guns.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#4]
what the police are citizens who steal and actually commit crimes? no the police force is 100% perfect and do not commit crimes like normal citizens who shouldn't posses weapons and be protect by the police who are perfect in every way. i own no firearms and in a situation where i am threaten will call the police and expect a prompt arrival so that i am protected there is no way this story is true police are not people they are above people.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
And in Maine....

Already has its own thread

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=569414
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#6]
We come up with way more unaccounted for guns than that when we do an audit  

They turn up.  These audits have holes all over them.  It usually turns out to be a gun from a guy who is on leave and has it with him or a gun that was sent back to the factory for repair...something along those lines.  Very very few of them ever end up actually being missing.  It can even be as simple as a gun assigned to someone who is out sick the day of the inspection.  

The fun audits are for Pyro...anyboy seen the roll of 100 Gr det cord?  
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And in Maine....

Yeah..but that is in WASHINGTON..this is MAINE and TEXAS
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#8]
i knew they are phonies

money grubbin people, "oh i saw u throw that cigerette out the car" - retard sheriff

"well i don't smoke officer and you can smell my car and my breath, and if you want we can go back and look for it"

no ticket, why? cus ur a liar u cop, and when u saw were neighbors, u just wanted to pee on urself.

i never trust them, never, ever.... i knew they do that, new motobike , new boat... gee where did that come from neighbor? not on ur 33k job, inheritence? B/S!!! I make 76k and still dont have none of that, heck i havnt had a vacation in like 10 years!!! and can barely keep a roof over my head!
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
And in Maine....

Yeah..but that is in WASHINGTON..this is MAINE and TEXAS

No, thats Washington County Maine. Same incident as the story I listed the link to.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i knew they are phonies

money grubbin people, "oh i saw u throw that cigerette out the car" - retard sheriff

"well i don't smoke officer and you can smell my car and my breath, and if you want we can go back and look for it"

no ticket, why? cus ur a liar u cop, and when u saw were neighbors, u just wanted to pee on urself.

i never trust them, never, ever.... i knew they do that, new motobike , new boat... gee where did that come from neighbor? not on ur 33k job, inheritence? B/S!!! I make 76k and still dont have none of that, heck i havnt had a vacation in like 10 years!!! and can barely keep a roof over my head!

What the hell does that rambling bullshit have to do with anything?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#11]
And there is this one too.  25 missing here.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=569414
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not surprised. You weould have to look at the way records used to be kept for that type of thing in the past to get an accurate picture.

For example my agency has been around for about 110 yrs. We never kept track of the Shotguns until last year. We have about 5,000 of them. When one was broken to the point it was unservicable it would go out for destruction with evidence guns and such. No records were ever kept for that type of thing.  If SWAT needed some shotguns they would take them out of the patrol armory. Sometimes they would make it back and sometimes SWAT would keep it for their use.  If Narcs needed a couple shotguns they would borrow them from SWAT or the patrol armory.  If the academy recruits had shotgun training the staff would check a bunch out of the patrol armory for that.

After 110 years with no record keeping it now appears patrol is missing about 30 shotguns. Some of those were clearly destroyed in vehicle crashes/fires. Some were scrapped by the armorers and canibalized for parts. Some are still riding around in the trunk of some investigator or SWAT cops trunk. A couple may have even been stolen. But the classify 30 of them as missing after all that time would be an incorrect summary of the reality of the situation.

Police department used to treat guns rather informaly. They are after all rather inexpensive compared to stuff like laptop computers and motorola radios. Thats changing and now current administrators are geting blaimed for stuff that often  happened before they even swore in, or before they were born in some agencies.

Clearly better record keeping is in order. One of the best way to control those items is to assign each officer his own weapons rather than having them share them. Yes you have to buy more. But there is better accoutability when the officer knows the department will want to know why *HIS* AR15 or 870 went missing rather than *A* AR15 or 870.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i knew they are phonies

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i knew they are phonies

Where in the fuck did that come from?
OK I get it, you don't like cops.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#15]
"missing".........yeah........
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i knew they are phonies

OMG..,like u dont know what u saying?

Guys, please remember that this is not an AOL chat room.  You have plenty of time to spell out the words rather than using annoying misspellings such as "ur".

[/rant off]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Wouldn't a cop have to be incredibly stupid to steal a gun from the department when he could legally obtain all kinds of firearms in the course of their job?

Ex-cops have told me of people just giving away guns to whoever's manning the station, or buying guns with a one dollar "bid" from the chief of police.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
i knew they are phonies

How do you make 76K a year without a high school diploma?

Sheep
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#22]

More than two dozen guns are missing from Washington County Sheriff's Office and officials say it's likely one of their own who stole them

[

Those fucking officials are fucking Geniuses!  They need a raise......smart fellers...damn smart fellers....
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Wouldn't a cop have to be incredibly stupid to steal a gun from the department when he could legally obtain all kinds of firearms in the course of their job?

Yes, but that doesn't mean that there aren't incredibly stupid people who make it into the ranks.

A Sgt. at my first agency shot himself in the thigh with a .32 auto...fucking around with it in his patrol car, on duty...in the presence of a female recruit.  Turns out that gun was supposed to be in the property room on a felony case.

Another officer was involved in a shooting while assigned to a MEG unit.  When we ran the gun the BG was alleged to have used, it came up as being previously stolen.  This weapon was also logged in as being in our property room, awaiting a felony trial.  Luckily for the officer involved, his dash-cam vid was pretty clear and it saved his ass.

A third officer was involved in a domestic dispute and the weapon he was carrying at the time 'magically' discharged into the wall a couple of feet from his female friend.  Once again, investigation revealed that said weapon was supposed to be in our property room.

Quoted:
Ex-cops have told me of people just giving away guns to whoever's manning the station, or buying guns with a one dollar "bid" from the chief of police.  

Perhaps in smaller agencies, but in any large agency the odds of anything like that happening are extremely slim.

Sheep
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
i knew they are phonies

Sheep

www.uaw.org/

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that is now a big deal some places, but it used to be that widows would just give their dead husband's gun to a cop...

Now days you get fired for that type of thing.
If someone wants to get rid of a gun i can give them a receipt and book it for destruction. Or i can explain other options like selling it to a gun dealer. But if i offer to buy it myself i can get fired.

I once had a "property for destruction" call where a couple was moving to Japan. Hubby had a NIB Sig P226 that he couldnt take with him.  He wanted to turn it in for destruction. i explained to him that it was worth at least $400.00 and he should try to sell it. He offered it to me, for free, telling me he would be honored if i would carry it on duty as he always felt safe in our community. I unfortunately had to refuse that offer out due to department policy.

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#26]
And we are the ones who can't be trusted.  

Page two belongs to me!!!    
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Isn't it the old joke that there's no place on earth more dangerous to leave your wallet sitting out than in a department locker room?

Cops are human, and therefore untrustworthy. Anyone who doesn't understand this is either stupid or disingenuous.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Can you say "Tragic Boating Accident"?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i knew they are phonies

Sheep

How freakin' stupid do you have to be to make 76K and barely keep a roof over your head?  Maybe the silly cop just knows how to properly manage his meager money, as well as spell  well enough to get a decent rate on a loan.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Whis is why we must ban firearms for law enforcement.

We need to keep LE guns OFF THE STREET.

It's for the children.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 4:58:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Nueces county?  They were probably all cannibilized for parts and tossed into the bay  judging by what I know about that dept.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 5:21:29 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
We come up with way more unaccounted for guns than that when we do an audit  

They turn up.  These audits have holes all over them.  It usually turns out to be a gun from a guy who is on leave and has it with him or a gun that was sent back to the factory for repair...something along those lines.  Very very few of them ever end up actually being missing.  It can even be as simple as a gun assigned to someone who is out sick the day of the inspection.  

The fun audits are for Pyro...anyboy seen the roll of 100 Gr det cord?  

Hell we have to keep a tight log of our explosives under threat of an ATF reaming.

Secured Storage
Daily inspections of the mags
Weekly Inventory
Issue and use logs
Losses (Non-yet) reported to ATF  within 24 hours.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top