Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2007 4:36:15 PM EDT
I travel around the world doing my job. My home is Northern Maine in a small city. I monitor my states news through Bangor Daily News web site. In the past I liked to voice my opinion on certain articles and enjoyed reading the letters to the editor.

Now, you can not submit any comments unless first submitting a registration that contains the following.

Name
Password
Address
Phone #
Male or Female
Level of Education

This is all to place their readers and comment people in aggregate.

Is this acceptable?

I call Bull Shit

I find it insulting and feel it is a tracking tool. What say you?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#1]
What the hell is your subject line supposed to say?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I travel around the world doing my job. My home is Northern Maine in a small city. I monitor my states news through Bangor Daily News web site. In the past I liked to voice my opinion on certain articles and enjoyed reading the letters to the editor.

Now, you can not submit any comments unless first submitting a registration that contains the following.

Name
Password
Address
Phone #
Male or Female
Level of Education

Is this acceptable?

I call Bull Shit

When confronted by forms I make stuff up.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Name
Password
Address
Phone #
Male or Female
Level of Education

Is this acceptable?

I call Bull Shit

So if they find that you say something "Terrorist" Like in Nature, they can report you to the feds.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I fail to see how sex and level of education matters any with people's comments.

I've heard some of the stupidest shit in my life come from the mouths of college educated men and women.

I've heard some of the greatest words in my life from people who barely have a high school education.

And vice versa.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quintin
That sums up my opinion too. Don't know why this pissed me off so much. Guess it was reading that they are raising our electric rates 20 to 40% and they are offering cash incentives for Farmers and Big Business. They are suggesting residential customers offset the increase through efficiency.
I wanted to write in a comment as I have worked in the power industry for 26 years. But not with my life story along with it. Seems like the paper wants full control and dosen't really wnat to hear from you.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Name
Password
Address
Phone #
Male or Female
Level of Education

Is this acceptable?

I call Bull Shit

They have everything they need to track you from your IP address... why are you so concerned about offering up some simple demographic info so that they can bother you all the time to advertise stuff.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Submitting your name & address to the local newspaper sounds like a good way to get yourself black balled by whoever owns the town if your message board comment pisses them off.

On the other hand, without registration info someone could submit a poison pen message like they’re DEC & get you into who knows what kinds of trouble.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top