Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2007 9:41:43 AM EDT
the last six months on the EE have been crap. i am the first post with "i will take it and IM sent" in the add yet zero responce. if it got sold atleast edit your add to say that or reply to my IM. don't forget about the mounts that don't fit on any rails or the stock set that has tang screw holes drilled all the way out the other side. just leave that part out of your add and make sure not to catch those areas in your pics.

to be fair many of the sellers in the EE are not this way but this is a growing problem on the site and there has been a large increase of this crap in the last six months or so.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe you have a gripe that there are new problems, but the fact it's been crap for 6 months? 97% Colt Diamondback for less than what Bushmaster charges on an upper? Try getting that kind of deal on Gunbroker! I think it's still fucking dandy, warts and all.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Most of the time I have no problems on the EE.  My only gripe is... I will be the first to post an "I'll take, Email sent" and I will get a response later that the item was already sold even though no one else posted for it!  This has happened several times.  I wish one of the rules would be...someone has to post an I'll take.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe people don't want to post "I'll take it" on a public gun forum and choose to keep their purchases private

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Maybe people don't want to post "I'll take it" on a public gun forum and choose to keep their purchases private

that is fine but how about an edit that says SOLD or reply to IM?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Most of the time I have no problems on the EE.  My only gripe is... I will be the first to post an "I'll take, Email sent" and I will get a response later that the item was already sold even though no one else posted for it!  This has happened several times. I wish one of the rules would be...someone has to post an I'll take.

It's entirely at the discretion of the seller - some go with the first IM or email, some go with whoever posts "I'll take it". Just the way it should be (up to the seller), IMO.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:13:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#7]
There is a very valid reason for a seller requesting an "I'll take it" post. It sets an open date and time the buyer committed to buying the item. This is not so with e-mails. I have seen cases where two different people sent e-mail to me almost simultaneously, yet one shows up an hour later than the other. With a post on the board, everybody can see who was first in line, and it makes for a fairer transaction with less chance of an argument of who was first. I request an "I'll take it" post on any EE item I list for sale.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Most of the time I have no problems on the EE.  My only gripe is... I will be the first to post an "I'll take, Email sent" and I will get a response later that the item was already sold even though no one else posted for it!  This has happened several times. I wish one of the rules would be...someone has to post an I'll take.

It's entirely at the discretion of the seller - some go with the first IM or email, some go with whoever posts "I'll take it". Just the way it should be (up to the seller), IMO.

The EE is nice because there aren't a lot of stupid hoops to jump through, for the sellers or the buyers.

If someone places an EE thread and then sells the item through IM, posts, email, whatever, who gives a fuck? It's sold...move on.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#9]
The EE started downhill after ebay stopped firearms transactions and after the ban went away. 5 yrs ago you would have a hard time finding a negative post in feedback. We have gone from a couple thousand members to over 120,000 members not to mention all the browsers. I say considering the traffic we get its still the best place on the net to buy and sell and I have never posted "I will take it" and not got the item. I have had people say I will take it then get an email with 9 different questions , are you one of those people ?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#10]
The EE is really the only place I look for things. Unless I know some dealer has what I want such as a rifle kit. Other than that--if it's not in the EE I don't need it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Oh yeah, leave the damn price when you do sell your item.  That makes it easier for the people who are trying to do some research on pricing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#12]
   I bought about $6000 worth of Ar15 parts -used from the EE in the last couple of months from multiple sellers, some with no feedback. . The only "bad" experience I had was a USPS screw up. The seller even refunded my money after a month.  The day after I got the refund,  I got the part and refunded the refund. YMMV

( I love the EE except for that whole addicting like crack thing. )
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#13]
From someone who has done alot of selling in the EE, I can say it has gone down hill since the ban died.

You used to be able to find good quality stuff like several Colt barrels and uppers.  Now its mostly common small parts and other crap.

I've had about 4 people in the last 2 months in EE deals that thought NE stood for New England.

And then, there is the retards who insist on using IMs to communicate.

People expecting or demanding Priority mail or UPS shipping on $10 worth of small parts when the shipping is included in my selling price.

People who need instant gratification and expect me to ship their part the moment their payment arrives.

I could go on and on...

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Or people who lowball and say they will take it for that price then they dont get back with you
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh yeah, leave the damn price when you do sell your item.  That makes it easier for the people who are trying to do some research on pricing.

haha...yeah...that's my only pet peeve as well. When I'm searching for something I like seeing what similair items sold for and when people replace the price in their thread with SOLD it is annoying.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Most of the time I have no problems on the EE.  My only gripe is... I will be the first to post an "I'll take, Email sent" and I will get a response later that the item was already sold even though no one else posted for it!  This has happened several times.  I wish one of the rules would be...someone has to post an I'll take.

Do you realize as a buyer that posting an "I'll take it" is the worst thing you can do to help you chances at getting an item?

When you do this, you BTT the ad so everone else can see it again.

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

haha...yeah...that's my only pet peeve as well. When I'm searching for something I like seeing what similair items sold for and when people replace the price in their thread with SOLD it is annoying.

+1
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you realize as a buyer that posting an "I'll take it" is the worst thing you can do to help you chances at getting an item?

Could you please elaborate?  I'm relatively new to the EE.

If I post the first "I'll take it", then why should it matter who else sees the ad, because the item is already taken, by me.

FWIW, my EE buys have been a disappointment about 50% of the time.   Mainly sellers failing to disclose obvious defects, or selling fakes.   I don't have the time to argue over the internet about small details or $50 items.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I forgot this one, 2 months ago a guy ( a newbie ) here in Michigan was interested in a like new pistol I had listed, He wanted pics which I sent and then he wanted to do a FTF and informed me he wouldnt commit until he actually "handled " the pistol to make sure it was as advertised. I wrote him back and  ask him if he really believed that I as a long time member with a +185 on the feedback forum would drive 100 miles so he a Newb could handle my fucking pistol  to verify its condition. He actually fucking got upset... I do miss the ole days.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I forgot this one, 2 months ago a guy ( a newbie ) here in Michigan was interested in a like new pistol I had listed, He wanted pics which I sent and then he wanted to do a FTF and informed me he wouldnt commit until he actually "handled " the pistol to make sure it was as advertised. I wrote him back and  ask him if he really believed that I as a long time member with a +185 on the feedback forum would drive 100 miles so he a Newb could handle my fucking pistol  to verify its condition. He actually fucking got upset... I do miss the ole days.

That is why I only do FTF where I don't leave my home town.

It is of no benifit to me to drive anywhere because I can just ship it to someone for less.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I have good luck with it so far...beats the shit out of Egay and the ridiculous fees.
Most of the membership here is very trustworthy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Cruise the other firearms forums and you'll see many of the same ads.  

What is happening is that someone on glocktalk (or wherever) already bought it and JohnnySeller didn't bother to update his ads on all 10 forums he posted it on.

edited to add:  For what it's worth, I'd had mostly fantastic dealings in the EE.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#23]
All the previous gripes about EE are chicken shit and petty bullshit crying.

This is the real bitch about EE: I am never fast enough to get the real deals!

You guys must stay tuned in 24/7.

"Wah-wah-wah!"

Sign me: Slow Boy
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I don't call someone threating the seller because he hasn't meat every single expectation that I previous listed to be "petty bullshit crying"

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I've done 50+ deals, some for firearm trades worth over 3,000 and some for 10.00  items. I have NEVER had a problem with the EE. It's all in the luck of the draw I guess, but there are things you can do in advance to insure a deal goes smoothly
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I've sold a number of guns on the EE in the last few years. My simple rule is to email me with questions or for pics, but that the first "I'll take it" posted in the ad gets it. In fact, that rule is always a part of my ad. I've told folks that in email conversations---if you want it, post it as such in the thread then email me back that you did so. I use the time stamp in the thread.

More often than not I notice emailed questions which I reply to with pics, then no response. Then once someone posts "I'll take it" I get one or two emails from those previous individuals stating that they'll take it if the deal falls through. Moral of this story? If you think you want it, go for it. Sitting back to wait for the price to drop just cost you a good deal! I don't dicker with prices. If I post a price I will usually post that it goes no lower or I'll keep the damned thing. Yet the last two rifles I sold had post-sale emails that they'd take it if the deal fell through. Can't help but think that they were waiting it out for a possible price drop. You lose!
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't call someone threating the seller because he hasn't meat every single expectation that I previous listed to be "petty bullshit crying"

Lighten up. Just some levity for the crew. Sorry you got a threating. You should have reported the threater.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Sometimes things change

Just because someone says "I will take it" does not - or should not bind them to its purchase (in and of itself).

Imagine yourself at Macy's and telling the clerk in the shirt department, "I'll take it" and then remembering some circumstance that prevents your buying it. (just as a silly example). But you would tell the clerk - never mind or I changed my mind. Just as buyers here should, as a matter of principal.

I am not defending chronic bullshitters, but I think buyers ought to have the same rights as sellers.

This is not about "gotcha" tactics.

YMMV.

(and I have purchased a gracious plenty from the EE and from site vendors)
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I've missed out on a couple of deals because of e-mails, IM's, or posting "I'll take it first" but it all comes back to one thing rules or no rules, the seller can sell it to whoever he wants who is willing to pay him.  I just figure it wasn't my day and I'll find something next time.

Warts and all, it's still darn good.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's my pet peeve as well.

It's against the rules to alter the ad like that, but it's surprising how many people (even long-timers) do that.

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do you have some insight into how the new EE will work?  I have been curious since I first heard about the changes.

Only rumors. I've asked Goatboy personally, but it's a closely guarded secret that he won't reveal.

I didnt know we were getting a 'new EE'
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Sometimes things change

Just because someone says "I will take it" does not - or should not bind them to its purchase (in and of itself).

Imagine yourself at Macy's and telling the clerk in the shirt department, "I'll take it" and then remembering some circumstance that prevents your buying it. (just as a silly example). But you would tell the clerk - never mind or I changed my mind. Just as buyers here should, as a matter of principal.

I am not defending chronic bullshitters, but I think buyers ought to have the same rights as sellers.

This is not about "gotcha" tactics.

YMMV.

(and I have purchased a gracious plenty from the EE and from site vendors)

I will take it means I'll take it. If you [figuratively] have questions then ask away but  the item should remain for sale. If you want something it is not fair to the seller to tell them you will buy it only to back out because  you don't have the funds or whatever. You should know that BEFORE you say you will take it.

I've asked questions and had the item sold in the meantime, thats life. Nothing to get teed off about.

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I should feel pretty bad about the "I'll take" I posted to your ad followed up by an email for the Chrome Carrier I purchased from you last week.

Dam, this crowd is brutal today.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#40]
there's an ee?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#41]
When I have sold something on the EE I always require a post to determine the order of sale with a follow-up e-mail. Once it is claimed I edit my post in both the title and the post body to reflect this.

One thing that gets me is when the item is sold or all the items are sold the title isn't edited to reflect the item(s) are gone. Whether it is SPF or sold. Wastes time searching for what I am looking for. I don't know how many times I have missed parts by just minutes or even seconds.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
there's an ee?

Yes there is. Look for the Equipment Exchange cliker just below the ad banners. But don't go there unless you have good self control. It only feeds the disease.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
From someone who has done alot of selling in the EE, I can say it has gone down hill since the ban died.

You used to be able to find good quality stuff like several Colt barrels and uppers.  Now its mostly common small parts and other crap.

I've had about 4 people in the last 2 months in EE deals that thought NE stood for New England.

And then, there is the retards who insist on using IMs to communicate.

People expecting or demanding Priority mail or UPS shipping on $10 worth of small parts when the shipping is included in my selling price.

People who need instant gratification and expect me to ship their part the moment their payment arrives.

I could go on and on...

As unreliable as site emails are, it's often the only way to reach a seller. Many sellers choose not to list their email address in their listings, so it's not like the buyers can contact them any other way.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

As unreliable as site emails are, it's often the only way to reach a seller. Many sellers choose not to list their email address in their listings, so it's not like the buyers can contact them any other way.

And it is the fastest way to irretate the hell out of a seller.  All my emails work.  That isn't the point I was making.  It is people who make no attempt to use email and issist on using IMs.

Someone sends me an IM asking for pictures and I have no email address to send them pictures.  Now I have to reply back to his IM with another IM to get his email address.  Now I'm sending him picture via email and using IMs to communicate.  So now I'm communicating to one guy on two different mediums.

Soon enough five IMs have taken place back and forth which could have been done in two emails.

I have two emails accounts.  I don't have time during the day to monitor another messaging system.  

It says at the top of all my ads to "Use email to contact me" and people still cant get it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Another thing...

When you post "I'll take it" and expect to get the item, now the seller has to babysit the ad and check it all the time to see if anybody responds instead of sending a email directly to the seller.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Now as a buyer, I also get irretated, sometimes more than when I'm the seller.

1.  I can't stand it when you respond to my WTB ad and ask how much I'm willing to pay.  This makes me want to drive to you house and beat the shit out of you.

2.  Figure out how to take the hanguards off your upper.  I can't belive how many times I've responed to an ad for a collectable Colt upper and ask the seller to remove the handguards.  The seller usually has an ad about how rare his item is, but can't take the handguards off the upper.  How do you know what your selling if you don't even know how to take the f*cking handguards off!!!

3.  People who wont accept anything but a USPS money order.  Do you realize how much $$ you are losing by doing this?  Even if you get ripped off one time, you will have more than made up for it by accepting all types of payment.  

No I don't really feel like standing in line at the PO for 45 minutes over my lunch time for a $30 MO for your stupid small part item.

Granted the EE is still the best place to deal on the internet, but I'm amazed at all the dumb people out there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Here's another one...

I agree to buy something on Friday night.  The sellers asks me on Monday if I have send the funds yet thinking he should already have them.

RETARDS

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top