Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2001 7:40:16 PM EDT
a springfield 1911 loaded
i want the champion...but any opinion will do

im not asking to compare them to say, a Wilson, just your opinion on their fit and function

thanks guys

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 5:43:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 5:59:30 AM EDT
[#2]
i believe that most people will agree that new colts have come down in quality considerably.  the old series 70 guns were great though
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:15:39 AM EDT
[#3]
My friends great aunt's neighbors gardner lives only two blocks from a man whose son had one and he thought it sucked.

Seriously, I do have a friend who has one and I've put better than a thousand rounds through myself without a hic up. It is stainless, the fit and finish are excellent and that is an area I am picky about to the point of being excessive compulsive.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:24:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Anothergene: My boss over the summer had a Colt Goldcup and went shooting during his lunch break about twice a week (programmers have lots of stress to blow off).  So, one day after cleaning his gun at his desk, he showed me that his Goldcup can feed fired cases.  I don't think his gunsmith had to do anything to the gun, but its been a while since I talked to him.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:30:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:32:03 AM EDT
[#6]
SkearE -

Did you get any mail????
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:38:34 AM EDT
[#7]
yeah i sure did!  thanks!

had problems with the reviews though...
seemed a little biasedanyways, i get to the results of the tests and damned if the Springfield Champion i was considering scored a DONT BUY rating for being too inaccurate (3.0'' at 25 yards)
BUT!!!
the wilson CQB was rated a definite BUY because it was VERY ACCURATE (2.9'' at 25 yards)

explain that! then they also listed a S&W as a buy even though it is not that accurate (2.5'' at 25 yards)

seems odd (someone's gettin a little compensation...i wonder if they got to keep the Wilson)

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:49:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a SF 1911 loaded, parkerized.  This is the model before the "locking mechanism" and night sightes were added as options.  The frame came from Brasil.

It is tighter than either one of my Colts,
1) Colt Gold Cup (series 80 with with "split bushing," bought in 1989), and
2) Colt Commander LW Enhanced (bought 1996)

The stock Springfield grouped just as good as the Commander.  I placed a Colt NM barrel and bushing in it and it grouped as good as the Gold Cup.

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:50:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
the wilson CQB was rated a definite BUY because it was VERY ACCURATE (2.9'' at 25 yards)

explain that! then they also listed a S&W as a buy even though it is not that accurate (2.5'' at 25 yards)

seems odd (someone's gettin a little compensation...i wonder if they got to keep the Wilson)
View Quote

Yeah - good idea to be a little wary of ANY reviews.

The GunTests guys claim to be completely unbiased, and to receive NO compensation from the manufacturers.

What'd you think of the Para Ord P12-45????

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:53:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I won't compare to my favorite, the Ed Brown Bobtail Commander.
You might consider hunting down a used Springfield TRP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top