Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2007 4:24:51 PM EDT
One.  What states is it legal in?

Two.  Do you have to be a resident, or is a non resident ok? (state specific I assume)

If possible please provide links with whether or not it's ok for a non resident to open carry.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#1]
AZ for sure, and I don't think it matters as long as you're legally able to own a gun.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Come to Wyoming...the free state.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#3]
New Mexico.

Not overly common, but legal as long as you are allowed possesion of a firearm legally.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Legal in MN, not prudent to do though.

I used to open carry exclusively, one to many man with a gun calls and resulting LEO response helped change my mind.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Legal everywhere in CO except for Denver.  No permit required.  

Not at all common to see along the front range, but back in the woods (I mean way back, away from I-70 and over the Continental Divide) it's pretty damn common to see someone packing a sidearm....if you see anyone at all.  

I do not open carry for the most part.  Usually only on the way to/from the range or on hiking trips.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Open carry would be great if every one did so,just as Pancho Villia carried his open in his belt wrap so honest men could see it!  But I would like concieled carry,why let the bad guy shoot you first cause you got one open to sight?  If he is jobbing the store just supprise him!  Anyway it's your call cause I don't want to kill anyone!

If I kill you it would because you left me with no other option!

Bob
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I was told by a state trooper one day that "Yes, open carry is legal in the state of Indiana.  But when we start getting phone calls about someone with a gun, you will be ticketed for causing a public panic".  

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#8]
its legal in more states than you would think. i think its techinally legal in 30-35 states although some of them i would not recommend doing it at all for reasons another posted mentioned.

i dont think it generally matters if you are a state resident. i suppose it might in one or two states so you might want to check.

i can tell you its legal in my state MI, but i wouldnt recommend it. you would probably get harassed, ive lived here most my time and only seen it done once.

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I was told by a state trooper one day that "Yes, open carry is legal in the state of Indiana.  But when we start getting phone calls about someone with a gun, you will be ticketed for causing a public panic".  

there in lies the problem. cops like that are assholes,ticketing you for commiting NO crime at all.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#10]
It is legal in AZ and I have done it several times.  I got a lot of wierd looks, but no one ever called the cops on me.  It depends on the area.  I wouldn't want to open carry in downtown Phoenix, that would be asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#11]
It is in KS but cities can have ordinances against it.  You can open carry in rural areas, while hunting or on your own property.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I open carry here , have not gotten a second look , most people don't have a clue as to whats happing around them .
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#14]
This should help.
http://opencarry.org/
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Beat me to it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I know WI is technically open-carry-legal, but I wouldn't recommend it. They'll charge you with menacing or brandishing or something in most locales, that I know of.

Same thing with Massachusetts. There are no laws against open carry, but you will certainly have your license to carry revoked by your CLEO, never to be had again.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Virginia
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I know WI is technically open-carry-legal, but I wouldn't recommend it. They'll charge you with menacing or brandishing or something in most locales, that I know of.

Same in IL for many years. Technically "menacing" or "brandishing" requires the gun to be in your hand.

The other charge is "disturbing the peace" - ie a "trash can" offense ("We don't know what else to charge him with...")
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Legal in Washington, but no one does unless they are in the boonies.

Quoted:
It is legal in AZ and I have done it several times.  I got a lot of wierd looks, but no one ever called the cops on me.  It depends on the area.  I wouldn't want to open carry in downtown Phoenix, that would be asking for trouble.

I've open carried all over Tempe. No problems. Did get a very frightened look out of a clerk at a gas station on the edge of the valley once...
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I open carry in VA all the time. I live 10 minutes outside of D.C. and walk around with a Sig P229r on my hip just about all the time. Especially of its late at night and I'm going to 7-11 to pick up stuff.

LEO's dont dare bug us...a couple that did got set straight right-quick by our VCDL [Virginia Citizens Defense League] and I promise you, after the VCDL is done with them; the thought of harassing open-carriers doesnt even cross thier mind.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#21]
ky has open carry. Used to do it often before i got my ccw. Only look i really ever got has in WalMart once. Some panty-wearing fruitcake looked like he was about to crap his pants when he noticed my XD. It was actually kinda funny.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Virginia

I thought that was very cool last year when I was checking reciprocity laws. I was like "honey we need to pack the SERPA also, we can open carry at Busch Gardens".
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#23]
In before the uber tactical ninjas who claim that open carry makes you a target for a Heat™ style assault.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
www.opencarry.org/

I sent them a correction on CO law, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#25]
open carry is stupid. do you really want your assailants to be prepared for you? that's your ace in the hole... get a ccw.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
open carry is stupid. do you really want your assailants to be prepared for you? that's your ace in the hole... get a ccw.

Those gang bangers are always looking for the victims who have a cocked and locked 1911 in plain view...

Open or concealed, any firearm is better than none.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Ahhhh! AZ, I remember living there and open carrying. I was in a 7-11 paying for gas with an Officer behind me in line, with no worries. The cop did strike up a conversation with me about my choice of sidearm. He was also a gun enthusiast(sp) and after a half hour converstion on different guns we left. No Problems. I miss that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:27:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Georgia you must have a concealed-carry permit to open carry

The only reason I wouldn't open carry is so I don't have to constantly justify following the law to the police when the sheeple get scared.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#30]
AZ.  Walk around, no biggie.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#31]
completely legal in vermont, resident or non resident.  some towns may have ordinances against it though.  mine (larger town in windham county) didn't.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#32]
CA, I think, so long as it is unloaded .
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Potato State
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top