Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2007 3:03:46 PM EDT
I bought a Panasonic Toughbook CF-28 used on Egay. It only has a 600 mhz PIII processor, but it's plenty for typing reports on the road and surfing the internet in the hotel room.

I have tried to access the BIOS (Phoenix) but can't get the password. I have already tried the usual Phoenix back-door passwords "phoenix, PHOENIX, CMOS and BIOS" but have had no luck. I don't know if the Toughbook motherboard has a jumper to reset the password and I'd like to try to crack this without pulling the case apart.

Does anyone here have a suggestion?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#1]
you can get programs that will crack the password.

search google.

just be wary that they all may not be what they seem.

here is one i found with just a quick search. http://www.pwcrack.com/bios.shtml  never use this one particulary.  Have used ones in the past that have worked,  the name just escapes me.

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
you can get programs that will crack the password.

search google.

just be wary that they all may not be what they seem.

here is one i found with just a quick search. http://www.pwcrack.com/bios.shtml  never use this one particulary.  Have used ones in the past that have worked,  the name just escapes me.

thanks, but Ive already tried that too. Apparently most laptop BIOS are not stored in the software so the crack programs generlly don't work.

Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Take it apart and find the memory backup battery that keeps the NVRAM in the bios active.  Pull it out for at least 24 hours.  Cross your fingers, put it back together and see if it works.  If all else fails I'll take the poor thing off your hands, the toughbook BIOS is garbage anyway, hardly anything to tweak and they never release updates.  I have had two CF-72s and a CF-37.  Good machines, but piss poor customer support from Matushita.  
I was thinking about buying a laptop for travel;no business just surfing the net,etc.What would you guys recommend brand wise?
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
<snip>I was thinking about buying a laptop for travel;no business just surfing the net,etc.What would you guys recommend brand wise?

DELL, dude.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#5]
why do you need to get into the BIOS anyway
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Microwave. 2 minutes. That should do it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
why do you need to get into the BIOS anyway

I added a 256 meg stick of memory and the mobo is only recognizing 128 meg of the stick (go figure).

The mobo came stock with 128 meg soldiered to the board and one expansion slot, SODIMM, 256 meg max, PC100/PC133. I added the 256 meg stick to the expansion slot and it works fine, but the laptop only recognizes half of the added memory for a total of 256 meg instead of 128 + 256 which it now has. I need to get into the BIOS to make the second slot recognize 256 instead of 128 mg.

Does that sound right? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Try   BigBoy
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Do not buy a dell!! Before you even think about a dell check out this site http://www.ihatedell.net/
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I added a 256 meg stick of memory and the mobo is only recognizing 128 meg of the stick (go figure).

<Snip>

Does that sound right? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I had the same problem recently. I put in a 1 Gig memory stick and the system (desktop) only recognized 1/2 of it. I had to have Crucial send me a different 1 Gig memory stick. They said the first one they sent was "too dense." So, they sent me a "less dense" one and it works like a charm.

This probably doesn't do squat to help answer your question, but it just sounds like what happened to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top