User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2007 1:37:39 AM EDT

www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20070419-0846-bn19idlingu.html

Law curbs big rig idling; 5 minutes is maximum

By Tanya Sierra
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

8:46 a.m. April 19, 2007

NATIONAL CITY – In an effort to reduce pollution in National City, officials passed a law this week that prohibits diesel trucks weighing more than 10,000 pounds from idling more than five minutes.

The crackdown is aimed at stopping truck driving schools from practicing maneuvers and idling within 100 feet of a school, but also intends to reduce all truck idling in the city.

A man died in February after his family said exhaust from a Momax Truck Driving School big rig induced an asthma attack. Community members and Kimball Elementary School teachers rallied the City Council to prevent this from happening again.

Environmental Health Coalition activists want the new law named after Javier Jimenez, the man who died.

It goes into effect in 30 days.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 1:43:06 AM EDT
[#1]
LOL.

Truckers live in their trucks.

The odds that they will forego heat in the winter, and AC in the summer, and TV/internet at any time, are zero.

If National City gets vigorous in trying to enforce this, they are likely to see truckers refusing to deliver there. Even ten percent of the truckers stopping delivery would bring the city to it's knees within days.

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 1:57:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I think here in Nevada, it is 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 1:58:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 2:13:30 AM EDT
[#4]
That's great but where the fuck is National City?
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 2:18:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I know Connecticut has had that Law for a while now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 2:31:51 AM EDT
[#6]
they can idle all day long for all I care...... as long as it's not in a residential neighborhood.

presently I live in a place adjacent to a quit side street.  Someone got into the habit this winter of parking their tractor behind my place and kept it running all night.  I don't need to hear or smell that.  There are plenty of non residential areas around town and a flying J with lots of space right up the road.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 2:55:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

There is a National City in San Diego County....but I am pretty sure it is not its own entity apart from the city of San Diego.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:03:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a National City in San Diego County....but I am pretty sure it is not its own entity apart from the city of San Diego.

National City is just south of San Diego near the US border, just a few miles from Tiajuana.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:27:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought it was harder on large diesel engines to stop and start them vs. allow them to idle.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:41:25 AM EDT
[#10]
The idling engine is what provides power to the trucker’s home. A lot of times loading docks will take a long time to load or unload a truck and that’s when the driver sleeps. Imagine trying to sleep in a car during summer, in California…

Trucking companies should simply refuse to deliver there. Nothing in life is free. If  a city wants the convenience of having goods delivered by truck (as opposed to having them delivered on a pack mule) then they have to put up with the inconvenience of trucks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:35:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I thought it was harder on large diesel engines to stop and start them vs. allow them to idle.

I doubt the bleeding hearts care.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:01:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Urban (rural?) myth.

My personal favorites are the diesel pickup owners who leave their engines idling while they're shopping at Wal-Mart or having breakfast at Cracker Barrel.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:06:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:08:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:08:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Urban (rural?) myth.

My personal favorites are the diesel pickup owners who leave their engines idling while they're shopping at Wal-Mart or having breakfast at Cracker Barrel.

You have anything at all to back that up?

Go back to the city.

-dan
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:09:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:10:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Other than expense, is there a problem with using onboard auxiliary generators for power needs?  Reduced fuel use would probably pay off the initial cost anyway...
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:10:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Just south of San Diego.

It would be a real problem for truckers if Minnesota adopted the same law.  I've seen what happens to a diesel engine when it gets cold.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:36:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just south of San Diego.

It would be a real problem for truckers if Minnesota adopted the same law.  I've seen what happens to a diesel engine when it gets cold.

Well the answer to that is an APO unit to power the heat/AC the industry is going to that setup, but some companies are to cheap even though it saves money in the long run. Ideling a big rig engine is hard on the engine as lots of times the oil on the cylinder walls is washed off during long term ideling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top