Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2007 10:42:38 PM EDT
Gee, I wonder how much King Dick will be able to milk out of this project and into his own bank accounts and those minions of his corrupt empire?  

I guess with Meigs destroyed, it made it easier to get this approved along the waterfront.

abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=5227033

Plan to build 150-story Spire is approved

WLS By Theresa Gutierrez

April 19, 2007 - The plan to construct the 150-story Chicago Spire along the lakefront was passed unanimously Thursday by the Chicago Planning Commission. The Spire would be the tallest residential building in the world.

The Chicago Planning Commission considered the proposal for the Chicago Spire, a 2,000-foot tower at the mouth of the Chicago River that would be the tallest building in the country with the intent of holding 1,200 expensive condominiums.

The Spire is the design of world-renown architect Santiago Calatrava. Dublin-based Garrett Kelleher is the developer. The Spire has the support of Mayor Richard Daley.

"For me it is a great honor to have an opportunity to build in Chicago. Chicago is one of the most outstanding cities in the world," said Santiago Calatrava, architect.

The architect's design plan includes DuSable Park, which would recognize Jean Baptiste Point du Sable, one of the city's founders, and incorporates areas for education, fishing and wetlands, a pedestrian bridge along the lakefront bike path, underground parking and a plaza.

The architect and the developer have guaranteed Streeterville residents that North Water Street will not become a congested highway. The Streeterville Commission of Active Residents (SOAR) is concerned about the skyscraper and what it will do to the community.

"More than 90 percent of the accesses to the building will be done directly from the drive, so that finally the amount of traffic they expect in the neighborhood will be in the range of 1-2 cars per minute," said Calatrava.

The mayor said the building will signify Chicago's new standing with international investors. Many believe the white structure, which twists like a drill into the sky, centrally located, will be the new global symbol for Chicago.

"I think this is a spectacular, world-class building obviously, and it belongs in Chicago. There is nowhere else in the world that it could be as successful," said Ald. Mary Ann Smith, 48th Ward.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:45:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Fucking Calatrava pissing match...

Milwaukee gets a fancy art museum...

Now Chicago has him design a 150 story spire....

Just watch, as soon as the ground breaks on the Chicago Spire....

Milwaukee will be calling Calatrava back to design something new up there...

Of all the things I will remember about WI, it's how much the damn Milwaukee Democrats have terminal Chicago-envy....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top