Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2007 9:45:20 PM EDT
My wife accidentally left a plate of remains from some hot wings (approx. 8) I made earlier where my personal dog, a 40 lb Australian Cattle Dog, managed to snatch them up without her realizing it.  I've never had this problem because I know that dogs aren't supposed to have chicken bones due to them splintering.  

The dog had had bowel movements twice since I found out.  Both were loose and had a hint of redness to them....obvious blood and not just wing sauce.

An online forum suggested feeding her bread.....any other ideas until I call the vet in the morning?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah dude that is bad juju seriously, havent you ever seen the TV show rob and big? His dog eats chicken bones and has seizures and shit so they have to take him to the pet ER.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the dog to an emergency referral hospital NOW.

You need them to arrest bowel activity and get the bones out or the animal will not likely survive.

Now.

ASAP.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah,

I work a K9 for my department.  Like I said, I know that bones aren't a great idea...especially chicken, turkey, and fish.   Apparently, my wife is a Dee Dee Dee.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#5]
You got through the first big threat which is choking.

He might bleed a little in his poop. but all in all he should be fine.

it's been long enough now for the bones to be digested.

Definitely take him to the vet though !
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:58:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You need them to arrest bowel activity and get the bones out or the animal will not likely survive.

Now.

ASAP.

I think your jumping the gun a little. Depends on how much he ate.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#7]
My sister's husband lets their dog eat small bones like that. She's a lab/pit bull mix. Seems to be ok.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My sister's husband lets their dog eat small bones like that. She's a lab/pit bull mix. Seems to be ok.

thats really not a good idea
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had dogs get into them over the years out of the trash

except for a couple that got um caught sideways in the throat always a fun project pulling thm out

they did not have any problems  but i would not recommend it as a regular thing
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now.

ASAP.

Blood in the stool.

That's what has me thinking "ASAP."

Better to haul ass and find out you were a worry wort than to, well, do nothing and find out the animal was in serious jeopardy.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to feed the stray dogs in Korea chicken bones all the time, they never had any problems. So I figured it must be a doggie constitution thing. I've had one of my dogs for ten years (she's 13 now) and she's never had a problem eating even whole fish.

I've had a lot of doggie deaths at my ranch. They were shot, or run over, or killed by other dogs. None of them died from eating chicken, fish, or any other bones. Unless it just made them crazy enough to challenge traffic, other dogs, or bullets.

Heck, they eat roadkill and do allright.

I'm sorry your dog is having problems, and I would too take mine to the vet. I'd never notice, I'm lucky enough to have mine crap in the woods!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now.

ASAP.

Blood in the stool.

That's what has me thinking "ASAP."

Better to haul ass and find out you were a worry wort than to, well, do nothing and find out the animal was in serious jeopardy.

With chicken bones , that's going to happen mostly. I know I can be fanatical about my dogs also, there both part of the family.

I would not want to talk him out of going to emergency vet hospital if I really thought
it was necessary.

If he had two bowel movements already it's been a while since the dog ate this.

He knows his dog , he has to make a judgement call on how he looks now.

I would not want to be the guy to post not to go and something happens overnight
to him.

Personally if it was me, I know my dogs , and if it seemed like he was suffering
from it I would get in my truck and drive him in the middle of the night , right now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#13]
She's acting fine.  No apparent pain and she is playing fine.  Her appetite is also normal.  I've seen sites recommending feeding cotton balls also.  I am leery of this so I gave her two slices of white bread and some canned dog food.  Should let me know in a couple of hours whether she is going to keep having movements or she is blocked.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
She's acting fine.  No apparent pain and she is playing fine.  Her appetite is also normal.  I've seen sites recommending feeding cotton balls also.  I am leery of this so I gave her two slices of white bread and some canned dog food.  Should let me know in a couple of hours whether she is going to keep having movements or she is blocked.  

I think she's going to be fine , but just keep an eye on her and take her to the vet in the morning.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#15]
All the dogs I have owned have had some wolf in them and this has never been a problem for me. I don't even think twice about giving them chicken bones, or any other bones (except turkey)for that matter. They will eat moose or caribou bones to the point that their turds are pure white sometimes even though there is always a full food dish for them. They run loose all summer.
It would suprise me that just wings would cause much problem for that type of dog.
That being said, your situation sounds like it could be serious, take him to the vet.

ETA- I once had a pup that was blocked and when things were looking pretty grim, I poured a quart of cooking oil down his throat and he crapped out one of those plastic shopping bags.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Blood in stool is bad.  Take the chicken bones out of the equation.  On the bloody stool alone that dog should be going to the vet.  You're lucky enough to know why.  X-RAY STAT.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:50:56 PM EDT
[#17]
what does a coyote eat?  what does a wolf eat?  what does a fox eat?  a lot of small bones from mice, phesants, robbins, gophers, rabbits, etc...  i doubt it could be too harmful.  aside from choking, i would imagine a dog could handle them ok.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:51:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Cooked bones are the problem. As mentioned before they splinter.  Raw are actually good for dogs, they don't splinter.  There is a diet for dogs called BARF - bones and raw food.  Supposed to be very good for them.  In the summer, as a treat, I give my two Rotties frozen, raw chicken wings, they love them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:52:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a big dog that ate an entire bucket of KFC chicken bones.

I did nothing.

Nothing happened to the dog.

That is all.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:00:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
what does a coyote eat?  what does a wolf eat?  what does a fox eat?  a lot of small bones from mice, phesants, robbins, gophers, rabbits, etc...  i doubt it could be too harmful.  aside from choking, i would imagine a dog could handle them ok.

Its what happens to the bones when you cook them that interferes with how the animals are built.

ETA:  Someone beat me to it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:05:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I used to feed the stray dogs in Korea chicken bones all the time, they never had any problems. So I figured it must be a doggie constitution thing. I've had one of my dogs for ten years (she's 13 now) and she's never had a problem eating even whole fish.

My grandfather was in the Korean war and always told me that was one thing you wouldn't see for long there. Dogs were looked at like their next meal.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:28:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I had a dog who died from eating chicken bones.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:29:16 AM EDT
[#23]
my dog got ahold of some porkchop bones last week he wasnt supposed to have. i immediately fed him 2 slices of bread soaked in vegetable oil to coat the stomach and help him pass the bones asap. he passed them the next day, no bleeding that i could tell, and he will probably avoid bones now after the scolding he got.

with your situation id say it depends on the amount of bleeding and if you know weather your dog passed the bones with its bowel movement or if they might be lodged in the digestive system. if bleeding continues and the bones have not passed please see a vet right away.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:36:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been feeding our dog chicken bones at least once a week for 8 years and she's still alive.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:56:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't feed my dogs chicken bones, they do get steak bones. Woke up the other morning and found the turkey carcass yanked out of the trash and found a fat and happy mutt asleep in the living room.

My in-laws do it all the time for the last 10+ years w/theirs, never a problem.

What do you think dogs would eat without you around????

Never seen a dog attack a wheat field have ya?

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:22:34 AM EDT
[#26]
We used to feed our 65lbs dog (I am not sure what he is, some lab and some gsd may be?) chicken bones all the time until out about 3 months ago when our vet recommended not to.  The reason is that chicken/poultry bones splittered rather easily and can be hard to pass through the digestive track.  The risk increases with smaller and toy breeds.  Bigger dogs still have an anatomy somewhat like wild canines such as wolves and coyotes so they should be ok.  Our dog never have any problem with chicken bones, but we stopped just to be safe.  Your dog should be fine.  You can take him/her to the vet if you like, but most likely they will give some medicine to help with the digestion.  It's not like they will pump his/her stomach or anything like that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Dogs will eat birds and other small animals, not a problem.  Pork bones are actually worse.  I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#28]
My dogs eat all kinds of dead things, They get the scraps from things I kill and they get all of what they kill.

They eat the remains of dove, quail, phesant, duck, chicken, deer, hog, rabbit, squirel, mice  and rats, and I'm sure many others with out any problems.

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I don't feed my dogs chicken bones, they do get steak bones. Woke up the other morning and found the turkey carcass yanked out of the trash and found a fat and happy mutt asleep in the living room.

In addition to the bones, human food with high fat content (turkey skin) can cause pancreatitis in dogs.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a dog/chicken bone story!

So my dad was the X-O/navigator on destroyers & ATFs in WW2 and they set sail from New York for the invasion of North Africa.

Someone had smuggled a mutt aboard and he became the ship's mascott. The mutt was fearless, he never shuddered as the US Navy fought off the French fleet to invade North Africa.

The mutt never flinched during numerous German air raids.

Later, as the fleet assembled to invade Sicily, the mutt was again fearless. As the fleet staged the invasion of Sicily the mutt stood firm.

The crew loved this fearless mutt. As the fleet assembled again to invade Salareno the mutt again stood his ground.

No one could believe this mutt could stand the air raids and shelling that the ship was continually under. Some men went insane and had to be locked up. But the mutt was not phased at all.

Then came the invasion of Southern France and again the mutt fearlessly withstood the shelling and air raids.

The crew came to love this fearless dog who no one knew where he came from.

Then one night, after the combat, as the ship lay at anchor the crew cooked some chickens they had found in Southern France. Someone tossed the mutt a chicken leg and it split as he chomped on it. The fearless mutt soon began tossing and turning and crying. The whole ship's crew watched in horror as the fearless mutt died right in front of them.

This story was told to me by my father: Lcdr Wm J Reilly, Navigator, USS Moreno, 1942- 1943.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#31]
does it count if the bones are in the chicken while it is still running?
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Dogs have been eating bones for thousands of years.

The danger with cooked bones is that they might splinter and tear up the dogs' insides.  For hot wings, I'll bet they got swallowed whole.  The poor pup is more likely to get a little ill or have a red ass from the sauce than be in huge, immediate danger from the bones.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#33]
take your dog to the vet.  Blood in its stool can mean a variety of things...none of them good.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
My dogs eat all kinds of dead things, They get the scraps from things I kill and they get all of what they kill.

They eat the remains of dove, quail, phesant, duck, chicken, deer, hog, rabbit, squirel, mice  and rats, and I'm sure many others with out any problems.

Invisiblesoul

+1

I feed my dogs anything left over on the table.  That includes all bones.  Some of them turn up their noses at vegetables, but there is usually one of them that is hungry enough to make it disappear.  I've seen them eat ranch style beans with jalapeno peppers before.  
This is the dogs favorite time of year.  Baby rabbit season.  Everything goes down the hatch, fur, hide, guts, nothing is left.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top