Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2001 5:45:13 PM EDT
I'm going to my very first gunshow next weekend in  Macon, GA.  I'm mainly looking to buy ammo and mags and maybe some other trinkets and perhaps even an SAR-3.

What tips to you guys have for the uninitiated? What should I look for? What should I avoid? Appreciate any insight you may have.

thanks

Nobby out

P.S.-Got that little problem resolved!
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Never buy on the first sweep. Check out what you want to buy, note which table and then check the rest of the show. Sometimes it is a good idea to go afternoon on Sunday. The ammo guys sometimes would rather sell it than carry it out. Also some of the dealers may be more willing to bargain when they have rent due next month.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#2]
My only rule at gun shows is: don't expect bargains, expect to find things you won't see elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I like to lurk near the entrance for individuals bringing in stuff for sale.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
You find deals early Saturday morning. You make deals Sunday afternoon. Cash talks, cash talks loud! As previously stated walk the ENTIRE show before you pull your money out. Nothing will piss you off worse than paying for something and finding a better deal ten feet away (Except maybe a girlfriend who comments on your.....)Work the vendors against each other! Lie like a MO-FO! If john Doe has it for $10.00 tell him that Ed white has it for $7.50. Dont be afraid to make a ridiculous offer, sometimes they take it! Walk away and make another pass later. Let them think about loading it back up and taking it back home. Eat some jerky, Gator is pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#5]
ok good adice by all, but things have changed a little do to all the buying. certain weapons are selling real strong right know and sar's are one of them.
being there the last two weeks on setup days the prices on some guns went like this.
about 3/4's of the sar's were over $400 and a couple were around $330 and only saw 2 below $300 and they were bought by other dealers before the show opened. plus the lower 300 one's were gone with in the first hour after the show opened.

alway going threw the show is a good ideal but try this.

set a price in your mind what you would be willing to pay . lets try $330 for a sar and if you see it buy it because finding one lower may be a problem. as far as the ammo goes if you are buying .223 you know what the prices are right now and most folks that wanted ammo got that first when the show opened because unless you are a dealer the good prices will be gone by the time it opens. because at the shows I attend and $10 ar mags and that $2 a box ammo is gone unless you are buying wolf. good luck as you never know what you may find and watch thise folks walking around thats were your bargins are. jon
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, your first gun show...  DON'T EVER IGNORE RULE 7, BUT DON'T FORGET 1-6 EITHER!

1.  Forget the rules of the internet, of gun shops, etc...  Basically, forget about having any semblance of order.  This is chaos, and the only organization or decorum you can expect to see is in the tables being square.

2.  Don't go in thinking you'll hear lots of bullsh*t.  EXPECT IT.  That gun on the rack?  It's going to be banned next month by bill x123.  This ammo?  Wolf can't sell it to the general public.  That mag?  No, it's not been refinished and I don't see a "restricted" stamp on it.  It's just the powder-coating...

3.  MOVE QUICKLY AND BRING PAPER AND PENS.  (Bring two pens, actually.)  You'll want to make notes to yourself with prices, dealer name, and table location.  Oh, and DON'T loan out your pens.  To make life easier, just get a small notepad that's pocket-sized.

4.  Try not to buy on the first go-around unless it is a TRULY rare item.  AR mags at $15?  Keep walking; you'll see more.  A blue UZI carry pouch as imported by Action Arms and it's NIW?  Pick up bag; drop money NOW if you really want it.

5.  Money talks, bullsh*t walks.  Don't count on credit cards being taken, and a personal check just doesn't cut it.  Carry cash if you want to buy.  (Oh, and don't worry about safety.  Who'd be DUMB enough to mug anybody at a GUN show?)

6.  Know your stuff.  If you want a SAR-1/2/3, know what they're worth.  Know the laws regarding them.  ("Preban" folding versions show up now and then around here.)  Want a preban?  Bring a serial number list, phone numbers to manufacturers, a cell phone to call them, etc.  Spending $500 more than you need on what turns out to be a postban sucks.

6.  If private sales are okay in your state, be ready to move quick.  The guy with the preban for 800.00 WILL sell to a dealer.  And that dealer WILL sell to you...  for $1,400.00.

7.  With all of those warnings.....  Have fun.  Yes, it can be bedlam.  Yes, dealers can be a*sholes.  But, there are GEMS out there.  Not just guns, but HONEST dealers and HONEST buyers.  They're getting harder and harder to find...  But, they ARE out there.  Look for the less crowded table with fair prices and a normal fellow standing behind them.  He or she won't have stories about their guns without verification.  They won't use pressure tactics.  They'll let you think all you want and push only a free business card.

Good luck to you!

Mike
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Stay away from the the vendor giving away
samples of beef jerky that's called Chernobyl. [pyro]

[heavy]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Shows are ridiculous right now! People who don't normally show an interest in firearms are out in force and are driving up prices. The show in Pasadena Texas this past weekend was a real treat....LOL...SAR1s and SAR2s for 500 clams...!
That is ridiculous. I have been to that show 50 times and never waited in line to get in...Not this time....the crowd was huge. Did get a couple of extra Thermolds and some S/A ammo though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I am going to be at the fun show this saturday. As usual if you have a problem with me, you know where I will be.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 5:14:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 5:51:40 AM EDT
[#11]
well already gave my opinion on the shows. but the bottom line for me is this times are different right now and I do believe they will get back to normal but it all depends on how long this takes.
then again if this goes on for a couple of years you never know what may happen. this is far fetched but what if nato demands ammo and arms sales be cut off who knows what can happen in the next few months or years.
a few of the shops that I deal with on a regular basis and turn onto to some good surplus deals have flat told me they have orders on sar's and have been told that it may be awhile when those are filled. as soon as these happened I tried to buy 10 of each of the sar1 and 2's because no matter how many I bought the cost of the deal was never going above $75 knowing that I could make a easy $100 on each gun with out price gouging. have also been told the wholesale price has risen threw some suppliers.
I have most everything I need right now but waiting for a settlement in a couple of months and first thing on my list is a barrett 50 and lots of ammo.
I'am starting to sound paniced even to myself. but do know that sense this has happen a couple of friends at work have ask me to get them some items. just at work have sold 2 cases of .223, 12 bandoliers of usgi 06 m2 ball, 2 flak vest, 1 kevlar helmet and a few cases of mre's and gave them the pre-scare price. who else right know would sell large and xtra large usgi vest's for $50. but it also frees up some money to buy some more ammo and mags.

I do not plan on going with out.    
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:39:40 AM EDT
[#12]
First of all I love gun shows!  Never had a bad experience at one.

First and most important rule...read the signs on the tables.  If they say ask before picking up, ask!

Second, do your homework.  Get a Shotgun News or Gunlist at a bookstore or magazine rack at the grocery store.  Know what the prices should be.

Third, cash talks!

Fourth, if it is a big show with many people in the isles and you see what you want at the price you want...buy it, it may not be there when you return.

Last rule, enjoy yourself, learn something and don't make waves, just go with the flow.  Have fun, I know I would.  Lucky bum.  [:D]

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:22:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Know the prices on things you are looking for and snag them fast.

I decided to walk the last show before buying some Q3131A for $162 a case.  I knew it was a good price, I just didn't want to carry it.  Figured I'd get it on the way out.  WRONG.  All gone by the time I was ready to go.  And this was before Sept 11.

Also, since this was a PA show and I'm from Maryland, I didn't screw around buying mags.  If the price was decent, I bought some.  If I found a better price later, I just bought more.  I did not want to miss out on magazines.  The supplies werent' that plentiful.

Keep a mental list of things you'd buy if the price were right.  If you find it, snag it.  That's how I ended up with an Alice Pack.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:54:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#15]
$2 bag of kettle corn is cheaper than $10 cheeseburger and beer, and there should be enough jerky samples to fill you up.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Bring cash.  Leave wife and kids at home.  Bring a pack of somekind to carry stuff in (most dealers don't have sacks).  I prefer going on Sunday mornings, crowd is less.  I avoid Saturday afternoons like the plague.  Having to wait in line to spend money is not my idea of a good time.  If you have something to sell or trade be prepared to have you intelligence insulted.  Having a copy of your drivers license and permit to buy (if your state requires it) can be handy.  A bore light is useful if you're gun shopping.  Gunshows here in Iowa generally require dealers to have triggers/hammers tied down so people don't paly with the guns.  Its a nuisance if you're serious about something.  Some dealers will cut the tie off if it looks like you're serious, others won't.  

And just on principal I try to make the dealers exert at least a little effort for my business. Dealers that sit and yack with the dealer next to him and ignore customers do not get my business.  Ditto for the guys that just sit and glare at you, like "what do you want?"  I've worked gunshows.  Everybody across my table at least got a "hi can I help you".  
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#17]
-Hit the ATM at your bank first cause convention halls usually charge you 2 to 3 bucks and you have a $200 withdrawl limit usually, so you hold up the line doing multiple transactions.

-Never jump into a sale, look around like the other guys said.  

-Ask questions, if the dealer don't know, then find out from other people.  Don't be afraid to ask especially when you are forking over lots of money.

-Stay away from certain tables like the junk and toy tables.

-If it is probably too good to be true, it is (Pre-ban Oly for $800)

-If it don't feel right, don't buy it, think about it a while.

-Make a short list of the cool things you are looking for including the "wanted but not needed" items and run thru it a couple of times.

-Make sure that if you are getting something, you still have some cash for anything you see but didn't think of

-Keep a budget, a limit of cash (unless you're bank accounts are full)

-Start thinking up things to explain to the wife/girlfriend/mom why you just had to buy the Barret 82A1 [50]

Good luck and Have Fun,
Ice
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Responses like these are what make this board awesome.  Thx everyone. Anyone else want to chime in?
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#19]
If you don't already know how, learn to PUSH through a crowd of large, unbathed slowpokes in a considerate manner.  Saying excuse me usually works, but not always.  

Ignore the table with the large group of multicolor haired punks drooling over the Keltecs.

Everyone wearing OD green (no matter how young)is obviously a decorated *insert specialty* veteran.  Don't question it, just nod and keep walking.

Keep an eye out for swinging barrels.  If you don't you'll get pounded on the head by the idiot next to you who doesn't know how to sling a rifle.

Take a woman with you.  You'll get better deals, especially if she's good looking.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Does anyone know where one can find a calendar of upcoming gun shows in Missouri? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Go for the ammo cans first.  At the shows I've been to that's the first place guys go to.  See the undented, unrusted ones in person and grab them.  By the way, they're great for carrying around the ammo and other crap you'll buy later![;)]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#22]
One of the biggest things that you can do that noone has mentioned yet that really works well it to Talk To The Dealers!
Consider this: They sit there for 2 days watching people go by, walking the show before it opens, dealing with potential clients or other contacts (other dealers and buddies). They get bored just like anyone else would and you'd be surprised at how the price of a certain item will go down by spending 10-15 minutes just chatting with them. Heck, some of them are just begging you to give them some attention. Who knows, you might just make a new friend.
But beware: some people are just not gonna be your friend and take everything with a grain of salt.
Try to learn as much as you can. The more info you can gather, the better you will get at it.
I believe the proper term for this whole thing is networking.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:45:40 PM EDT
[#23]
i have a neat perspective on gun shows cuz im on BOTH SIDES OF THE TABLE.
ive gone to shows for years and just this year ive been helping to sell 1911 and S&W parts for a small company.
so i get to exprience the bad dealers and high prices as a customer and also get to see the IDIOTS that walk in the door.
i spend a lot of time educating people on the kalif gun laws, NO YOU CAN NOT BY HI-CAP MAGS, i mean under what rock have some people been living?  had to tell another guy that it is a FEDERAL CRIME TO BUY SILENCERS WITHOUT ATF APPROVAL and again NOT IN KALIF.
i could go on about the bozos, pyschos, and all the really cool people that come in.
im not complaining, i do enjoy the work, just letting you know its not all peaches and cream on the other side.

but the advice above is really true, if you can get a dealers pass you can get in 1 hour early, and dealer to dealer discounts is COMMON.
as a parts dealer, we sell parts pretty low, and then the Regular Customers or high volume buyers get a better Discount. so try and make Friends with some of the dealers. there are some good ones and definetly BAD ONES. (just like the rest of the world)

same goes with the customers, dont be a dick to the dealer unless they deserve it (and some really do), most arent there to make enemies just money, some will take checks and even provide returns if you get the wrong part. (at least we do)

[b]heres a BIG TIP -- need a part for a gun? BRING THE GUN TO THE SHOW[/b] fit the part before you buy, or at least bring the old part. we sold a 1911 mainspring housing to guy for a para ordinance, he came back saying it didnt fit, he got his money back. save yourself a trip and Bring the Gun/part.

i had one guy tell me that joe blow down the way (i think he just walked into the building) had such-an-such fancy part for 8 bucks and we were selling a regular part for 10 bucks, he said "so i think you should give me this part for 5 bucks" i said nicely, sorry thats the price.
i wanted to bitch smack him and say SCREW YOU, i knew he was trying to play me, and he can go buy the Others guys part for all i care, someone else will buy this one which is already about as low as you can go price wise. if the fancy part is so low then i say JUMP ON IT, but i believe no part existed.
so playing dealers against each other doesnt work, most will stand firm on there prices, unless you buy in Bulk, even then they wont.

also if the show is Slow, then dealers will slash prices the 2nd day to make a buck, these are Buying shows, so you can test your bargaining skills better.

just be cool to everyone and even the jerks and dont let there attitude bother you, make friends with the good guys who do it for fun and not solely for profit, visit them often so they get to know you, then in the future you might get some good deals or tips. and have FUN.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 12:17:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Don't really have any advise, but here's a site that's selling SAR-3's for $249, if you can't do as well at the gunshow. And they're good people.
[url]aimsurplus.com/acatalog/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 12:33:30 AM EDT
[#25]
All good advice.  I got a great deal on a Colt AR at a large gun show some years ago, My first AR.  Also some people walking around with firearms for sale in Arizona where you don't need a permit for a private sale and I made the mistake of spending all my money too early.  Out here you can get great deals at the Phoenix fairground shows on ammo.  For a list of upcoming shows I always check my latest NRA magazine (American Rifleman or American Hunter?) Which I mis-laid this month. And it is a good idea to bring a cart or a child's wagon which is great for carting those cases of ammo.    
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:50:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Avoid the SAR-3, get a SAR-2. If you really have to have a .223 AK, get a Norinco, Polytech or something else.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:34:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:48:50 AM EDT
[#28]
If you are going with a lot of money expecting to make many purchases without doing any research, the only thing I can suggest is to bring plenty of grease and bend over.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:15:19 AM EDT
[#29]
My advice:  If you show up at the show and see a lot of crafts, beanie babies and other bull$hit - go home.  [shock]

Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Now anyone know where I can get a 20 gauge over/under with a six round mag?
View Quote

As a former Navie Walrus,I have access to exotic weapons such as this. I always prefered a Under/Under for all my suicide missions.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#31]
If you're going to be buying large items or cases of ammo, a cart of some kind is essential, and also helps if you buy lots of little stuff.  It's always good to walk the floor once before buying anything unless it's a super deal, but stay away from anything that's too good to be true.  I passed up a $900 EA Pre-ban carbine because there was no way to verify it was really a pre-ban.  You should take the known pre-ban serial number list with you so you can double check, as some gun owners are not on the up-and-up.  It's best to wear thick skin, as the bullshit gets deep quickly.  Always wear pants with good pockets, and keep your cash out of your wallet.  That way, if you see something you like, you can step away, put as much cash as you're willing to offer the person, and come back saying "I really want X, but only have $Y."  And when you pull your wallet out he won't see a huge wad of cash.  BTW, have cash with you, and never use the ATM machine at the show.  I personally go Saturday as early as I can so I can get the stuff that sells quickly, but I also have been known to come back on Sunday if I see something that I wanted the day before and the guy wasn't open to dealing.  They tend to be more flexible on the last day of the show if it means making a sale and not having to load stuff.  It's best to go without non-shooting people, and if you go in a group of shooters, make sure you have radios and know what each other are looking for.  That way you can canvas the place quicker and radio back if you found an item of interest.  Also, if your state allows you to bypass the background check with a CHL, like Texas does, then use it to your advantage.  I've had dealers knock off money for a quick cash sale if they don't have to run any checks on me.  And on a final note, if you're planning on buying an accessory for something you already own, take it with you.  Nothing sucks more than buying a holster or whatever and it doesn't fit your gun.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#32]
And I almost forgot.  Dealers also tend to deal if you are willing to buy more than one big thing from them or lots of little items.  And look out for re-finished AR magazines being sold as new at high prices.  I generally pay $15-$20 for NIW USGI magazines, though at the smaller shows around here since 9/11 they run from $20-30 for NIW Colts.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#33]
The Heart of GA show is pretty good, although not as many dealers as the Eastman show, at least in Macon.  You can find good deals on ammo and accessories here, but check their   mag prices vs. mail order companies ( see Gunlist or Shotgun News). Some mag dealers prices can be inflated, and they may say that "these are the very last ones available."  Buyer beware!!
Cold cash seems to get a better price on guns.  See you there!
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Shotgun News also has a list of upcoming shows.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top