Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2007 12:00:49 PM EDT
My grandfather passed away when I was a teenager.  Due to his illness, I lived with him during his last 2 years.  I am now attempting to obtain his military records from the Army.  I see that I cannot claim to be his "next of kin", I have to just request the records like any other schmo.
My question is will the Army records show me when and where he was deployed or will it just be his service dates, etc.  Basically, how detailed will it be?
Also, if anyone else has done this and has ANY info/advice to give I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

ETA: He served during WWII.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#1]
This is what you need...

www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/index.html

If your Grandfather has a surviving spouse that has not remarried, father, mother, son, daughter, sister, or brother still alive, have them make the request, it would be more complete.  That being said, I think the only thing that would be omitted would be personal identifying information (SSN etc..)
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I've got the form I'm just concerned that the records will just be his service dates since I'm not his next of kin.  My family is pretty splintered so asking one of my uncles or my aunt to make the request is out.

I want to find out where he served during WWII and his Unit etc.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Could be dicey in any case.  He sounds like he falls in the category that may have been in the St. Louis Records building fire.  the DD214 would have all the awards and campaigns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top