Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2007 10:27:00 AM EDT
From my local papers web site today(4/19/07).  I am writing them to explain things, such as this was not an assault rifle etc..

www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070419/UPDATES01/704190402

Local RIT student faces gun charges
Rochester Institute of Technology senior had assault rifles, ammo

BY FERNANDO DIAZ
GANNETT NEWS SERVICE
Thursday, April 19, 2007

ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- A Rochester Institute of Technology student was arrested Wednesday and suspended from classes after authorities discovered he had two assault rifles and hundreds of rounds of ammunition a day after the deadliest school shooting in U.S. history.

Jonathan Hackenburg, a 22-year-old engineering senior from Hackettstown, N.J., told Monroe County sheriff's deputies and campus safety officials he had a valid federal firearms license and purchased the weapons, a STAG-15 and another model similar to that used by U.S. military personnel, in his home state.

Deputies recovered the rifles, which Hackenburg said he had just assembled, from his dorm room but did not find ammunition there, said RIT spokesman Robert Finnerty. Deputies later found more than 200 rounds of ammunition and four, 30-round magazines in his car, according to the Sheriff's Office.

"Thankfully it was resolved without incident," said Monroe County Sheriff Patrick O'Flynn, adding that Hackenburg did not appear to have threatened using the weapons. He also told investigators he was a gun collector who spent time rebuilding firearms.

A university employee heard a suspicious sound at the RIT Inn and Conference Center on West Henrietta Road and alerted campus safety officials about 11:15 a.m. Tuesday, Finnerty said. Hackenburg admitted possessing the weapons after he was questioned.

However, the lawyer representing Hackenburg said Wednesday his client posed no threat to anyone.

"It was just something he enjoyed doing, researching and assembling rifles," said defense attorney John Parrinello.

Parrinello questions whether the guns fall under the definition of an assault weapon.

Hackenburg was arraigned Tuesday on two counts of third-degree criminal possession of a firearm, both felonies, and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon, a misdemeanor, for having the rifles on school property. It is illegal to possess firearms on school grounds in New York. It is also illegal to possess assault rifles here, said O'Flynn.

"There's a reason these laws are in place."

Students, faculty and staff were notified of the arrest Tuesday evening, according to Finnerty, who also commended the university employee for alerting authorities.

Finnerty said that RIT, like most college communities, was on heightened alert after Monday's mass shooting at Virginia Tech, where more than 30 students and faculty were killed.

Some here were shocked to learn late Tuesday of the arrest.

Steve Damiri, 32, a graduate student teacher, said he was notified by e-mail about 5:30 p.m. after teaching a class.

"If people are criticizing Virginia Tech for waiting 21/2 hours to announce something like that, why did it take us six hours for something that could be very similar here?"

Finnerty said officials informed the community at large only after authorities had fully assessed the situation. "Those things take time," he said.

Hackenburg was remanded to the Monroe County Jail with a $15,000 cash bail. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for later this week.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh teh noees!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#2]
RELEASE THE HOUNDS!!!!!!

May the witch hunts begin!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#3]

There's a reason these laws are in place.

And why is that?
Those laws didn't seem to dissuade Cho, and now an otherwise law abiding citizen is going to lose his rights.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Unbelievable... from the way they were talking, you'd think they acted just in time to save dozens of lives.  We all owe them a debt of gratitude for disarming a citizen and confiscating his property.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#5]
My Bro goes here and he said the situtation was that the guy in question was turned in by a friend who had a beef with him. And everyone is blowing things way out of proportion.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Unbelievable... from the way they were talking, you'd think they acted just in time to save dozens of lives.  We all owe them a debt of gratitude for disarming a citizen and confiscating his property. ...and throwing him in jail

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#7]
sigh... typical kneejerk press hype.

still, if this is true

It is illegal to possess firearms on school grounds in New York.

and he still kept his collection on campus, he should have known there was a potential for him to get busted and charged, irrespective of whether or not the law itself is just.  Fight for your rights, but don't be stupid and make a martyr of yourself for nothing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:41:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My Bro goes here and he said the situtation was that the guy in question was turned in by a friend who had a beef with him. And everyone is blowing things way out of proportion.

Oh there was no doubt in my mind that is what happened.

I think the reason for probable cause was sketchy too. I don't buy that the guy heard him work the action.

BTW, I go there. The RIT Inn and Conference Center is an old Marriot purchased by the college to use as a dorm. It is nowhere near "on campus", It just "on university property".
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
sigh... typical kneejerk press hype.

still, if this is true

It is illegal to possess firearms on school grounds in New York.

and he still kept his collection on campus, he should have known there was a potential for him to get busted and charged, irrespective of whether or not the law itself is just.  Fight for your rights, but don't be stupid and make a martyr of yourself for nothing.

actually, the law reads that it's illegal to possess firearms on university grounds or buildings "used for educational purposes."  A dorm might not qualify given the rule of leniety that's supposed to be used in interpreting criminal statutes.

In the new Amerika gun owners are as popular as lepers.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#11]
My letter to the editor of the paper:

Mr. Lyons,

Today I read a story in your paper about a young man who was arrested at RIT in NY for the crime of possessing a firearm. While he may be guilty of possessing the rifle in question in an un-authorized location, your reporter should be reminded that the 2nd Amendment allows the ownership of firearms. More importantly, your writer needs to educate himself as to what an "ASSAULT RIFLE" is, and what is not. The Stag-15 is a semi-auto rifle much like many hunting rifles used in this great country. Its only similar cosmetically, as the internal workings are different from the actual "ASSAULT RIFLE" ,which by definition is a full automatic weapon!!! To report anything different is an attempt to mislead the public into thinking gun owners are in possession of military assault rifles. We are not!! I would just like to state, that a reporter is supposed to research his facts prior to writing a final version of his report. Your writer did not, and I would expect the Daily Record to print a correction as to the classification of this firearm, and I would further expect that you would require your writers to print truthful facts in the future.

Sincerely,
xxxx
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That "friend" should be outed.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That "friend" should be outed tarred and feathered.

fixed
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mr. Lyons,

Today I read a story in your paper about a young man who was arrested at RIT in NY for the crime of possessing a firearm. While he may be guilty of possessing the rifle in question in an un-authorized location, your reporter should be reminded that the 2nd Amendment allows the ownership of firearms. More importantly, your writer needs to educate himself as to what an "ASSAULT RIFLE" is, and what is not. The Stag-15 is a semi-auto rifle much like many hunting rifles used in this great country. Its only similar cosmetically, as the internal workings are different from the actual "ASSAULT RIFLE" ,which by definition is a full automatic weapon!!! To report anything different is an attempt to mislead the public into thinking gun owners are in possession of military assault rifles. We are not!! I would just like to state, that a reporter is supposed to research his facts prior to writing a final version of his report. Your writer did not, and I would expect the Daily Record to print a correction as to the classification of this firearm, and I would further expect that you would require your writers to print truthful facts in the future.

Sincerely,
xxxx

If it was a post ban with a collapsible stock legally it was an "Assault weapon" under NY State law.

Politicians can make laws and name things whatever they want to, but the point is that these rifles are not true Assault Weapons, and it is up to us to educate those who do not understand this.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mr. Lyons,

Sincerely,
xxxx

If it was a post ban with a collapsible stock legally it was an "Assault weapon" under NY State law.

Politicians can make laws and name things whatever they want to, but the point is that these rifles are not true Assault Weapons, and it is up to us to educate those who do not understand this.

First, you need to change your thread title.  If those rifles were not capable of full auto or burst, they are not assault rifles.

Second, there is no such thing as a "true assault weapon".  It is a completely fabricated term.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#17]
 Wow.  He had "more than 200 rounds"!  I got that much loose in my gun cabinet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mr. Lyons,

Sincerely,
xxxx

First, you need to change your thread title.  If those rifles were not capable of full auto or burst, they are not assault rifles.

Second, there is no such thing as a "true assault weapon".  It is a completely fabricated term.

The title is from the newspaper article, not something I created.  I was always led to believe that an assault rifle is an automatic weapon, that is where my phrase of "true" came from.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
 Wow.  He had "more than 200 rounds"!  I got that much loose in my gun cabinet.

You should have heard my dad when he told me about this story. He was acting like 200 was a lot. I just pointed over to my desk which had about 500 rounds sitting out. (And I felt like I was running low.)
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#20]
RECEIVED A REPLY FROM THE NEWSPAPER EDITOR

Dear Mr. xxxx:
The story to which you refer has not yet appeared in our newspaper. However, it is on our web site.
It did not originate with us, but with our sister newspaper in Rochester, NY.
We are forwarding your note to the editor there to review, and will specifically ask them to clarify the differences you note.
Dennis M. Lyons
Executive Editgor
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The title is from the newspaper article, not something I created.  I was always led to believe that an assault rifle is an automatic weapon, that is where my phrase of "true" came from.

You said "true assault weapon", not "true assault rifle".
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You said "true assault weapon", not "true assault rifle".

Got you Larry.  The letter did use rifle, not weapon.  thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#23]
This guy is from my hometown.  I don't know him though, I'll ask my sister.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I started my college career at RIT.  Only stayed for 6 months because I hated it.

So what is his screen name?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#25]
And keep in mind that the sheeple do not distinguish between auto and semi-auto.

You have to explain the difference.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Politicians could pass a law making it a felony to wear a red ball cap.

They could pass a law making it a felony to walk in groups of 3 or more on Thursdays and Saturdays.  

They could pass a law making it a felony to drive BMW's, the preferred cars of dope dealers.

They can pass all the laws they want, but does not make them right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top