Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/19/2007 4:50:12 AM EDT
Is anyone else on just stupid overtime?

The company I work for (for now) made it clear that any overtime necessary is mandatory and that they expected everyone to put in at least 400 hours of OT per year before it would be reassessed, the most I have ever put in in a year was 335 and that SUCKED.  Our engineers get straight time for OT but I do get 1.5X pay but man it is not worth it to me.

60 hour + weeks with no end in sight IMHO is not a way to keep employees very long.  It causes family issues and fatigue, at least it does for me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:51:48 AM EDT
[#1]
14 hours this week… wifes not too impressed

ANdy
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:54:39 AM EDT
[#2]
My only advice would be spend the extra on something worthwhile but not necessary, and don't get used to all that extra money if you don't plan on staying there forever.  Use it to pay off debt, buy your dream gun, whatever.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:58:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I wish I could relate, my job cut hours back to around 24 hours per week so I'm currently searching for a new job and wondering how I'm gonna manage to pay the utilities bill
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:59:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I work 24 hours of overtime in my 8 day rotation of 4 on and 4 off, but it's voluntary on my part.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:00:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I am using it to pay down my debt.

What really sucks is that my regular day is 9 hours so a 12 hour day is only 3 hours OT.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:00:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I love OT. We are on mandatory OT right now, but I intend on working 60+ hours
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:01:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I like money.

During certain times of the year I work 20 to 30 OT/DT hours a week. I'm in the middle of some of that right now.

400 hours a year? I can do that standin' on my head.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:03:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:09:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't do OT.  I refuse to do it unless it is 150% necessary to get the job out.  They knew that when they hired me.  I spend enough of my life there as it is, having to deal with assholes every day.  its just not worth it to me physically or mentally.  

last year I did a whopping 36.75 hours of OT.  

I work to live, i don't live to work.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:10:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm a single guy that does enjoy my job and the freedom to buy "toys".

I'm in the same boat.  I've been buying guns & gear like crazy lately.  This time next year I should have a truly awe-inspiring collection.  Right now it's merely 'good'.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:16:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd take it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:18:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I doubled my Salary last year by working lots of OT, no problems here with it, sometimes I get 74 hrs a week.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:21:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't mind doing OT to get a job out, that is not what we are doing anymore.  We are taking more work than we can actually handle and the short staff is supposed to just get it done no matter how long you have to work to get it out.  It has become the standard operating model.

As to the money, there is a point were I actually make less money per hour (bring home) due to higher taxes.  I would rather have the time than the extra money anyway, I don't need to impress anyone here so I would rather just put my 40 in and get out of here.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:24:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I don't mind doing OT to get a job out, that is not what we are doing anymore.  We are taking more work than we can actually handle and the short staff is supposed to just get it done no matter how long you have to work to get it out.  It has become the standard operating model.

As to the money, there is a point were I actually make less money per hour (bring home) due to higher taxes.  I would rather have the time than the extra money anyway, I don't need to impress anyone here so I would rather just put my 40 in and get out of here.

Hell I'm in OH and willing to work OT
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:25:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm a single guy that does enjoy my job and the freedom to buy "toys".

I'm in the same boat.  I've been buying guns & gear like crazy lately.  This time next year I should have a truly awe-inspiring collection.  Right now it's merely 'good'.

And then what?

I have come to the realization that I am not my stuff or my job.  I have been cutting my "collection" back because I just don't need stuff to fulfill me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:25:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I worked about 8 weeks with only 2 days off and finished last weel, and it does get one exuasted quick to the point where you are getting physically sick..

Now that i am back to the 40 hour weeks, I am kinda sad (the money part) and hounding the Vacation board looking for shifts to pickup.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:26:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:28:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Max out your 401K at 15K a year or whatever it is now and the taxes won't hurt as bad I've had mine at 25% which maxes me out for the last 4 yrs. I'm on pace to have over $300K in it by the time I'm 35 not bad IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:28:26 AM EDT
[#19]
At least 400 hrs of OT a year!!!

I was doing about 250 hours a year (6 month period) for the last couple of years, all voluntary, & I was dead tired. I told them this year that I am not doing any OT until they force me.

Fortunately the busy part of the year is almost over & I have not done any OT yet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:29:22 AM EDT
[#20]
My last job had me scheduled for 9 hrs a day while only getting paid for 8!  No lunch break.
OT happened and it was usually mandatory - oh yeah, without compensation.
I could only get comp time for for working a "double".
What a crock of BS.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:29:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you a Structural Engineer or a Structural CAD Drafter?  If so you can write your own ticket.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:32:28 AM EDT
[#22]
My OT (1.5x/hr) & callout (2x/hr) pay over the last 4 years was infuckin'sane.  Damn near doubled my base wage each year.  Extra hours for me peaked at about 1k/yr.

It worked out well.  My dear wife & I put both sons through college without touching our savings or taking out any loans.

Finally, after paying me rediculous amounts of money the company has replaced some equipment that was well beyond it's useful lifespan.  Right now I'm on track to make about 10% over my base wage and I'm enjoying the extra time off....so to speak.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:32:31 AM EDT
[#23]
OT=guilt free fun money.  It funds my toys and ammo.

Regular money is only slight guilt fun money.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:33:02 AM EDT
[#24]
by the end of the year I'll have 1152 hours of overtime in for a price tag of approx. $18,455 take home after taxes, retirement, and all that jazz.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:35:09 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Max out your 401K at 15K a year or whatever it is now and the taxes won't hurt as bad I've had mine at 25% which maxes me out for the last 4 yrs. I'm on pace to have over $300K in it by the time I'm 35 not bad IMHO.

Jeez, If only I made that kind of money.  $19 straight $28.50 OT.  Still impressed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:35:56 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm on salary so I alway's work OT for free.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:37:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Stupid OT here and it's only going to get worse.

I should hit my $35,000 cap around mid-Sept.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:37:51 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
At least 400 hrs of OT a year!!!

I was doing about 250 hours a year (6 month period) for the last couple of years, all voluntary, & I was dead tired. I told them this year that I am not doing any OT until they force me.

Fortunately the busy part of the year is almost over & I have not done any OT yet.

The 400 hours is where they will start to consider increasing the staff, not actually do it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:40:15 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you a Structural Engineer or a Structural CAD Drafter?  If so you can write your own ticket.

hmm that might be a problem...
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:42:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Personally I don't mind reasonable OT. Currently, there is little to be had at work. The busy season is coming though. My 4 day 11 hour schedule will turn into 5 or 6 days a week, possibly 70 ish hours. My previous job doing the same type of warehouse work, (a Teamster union job), I slammed 160 hours in 2 weeks once. 81 and 79 hour weeks back to back no day off.  I was an absolute trainwreck recovering from that.
I claimed 9 on my fed taxes for the pay period and--still not worth it. 50-55 hours is ideal for me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:42:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

+1, though my contractor charges .gov for any hours of OT I work.  I don't see a penny of it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:45:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Me too. I average about 55-60 hours per week, and never get a dime in overtime.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm doing 24 OT hours for three weeks straight. It helps some, and it hurts some
M
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:47:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I could do 45-50 without blinking but 55-65 I really HATE.  It would be better at 2X pay but still not something I would volunteer for.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:47:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:49:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Try being salaried and not getting paid for overtime.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:51:52 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Union! Union! Union!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:52:34 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, though my contractor charges .gov for any hours of OT I work.  I don't see a penny of it.

Union! Union! Union!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:53:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Overtime.

I'm salary...I don't see shit for overtime. I worked 18 hours on monday...
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kinda gives your employer an incentive to work you 24 hours a day. Good Lord.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:54:18 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I always turn it down, 5 days a week is plenty for me and I like my weekends.
When you reach the last day of your life, all the money you made with O.T. will not buy you any of those days back.

Won't make much difference then, on your "last day",......will it?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:55:34 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Overtime.

I'm salary...I don't see shit for overtime. I worked 18 hours on monday...

Union! Union! Union!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:59:58 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Union! Union! Union!

No way.  I just refuse to work OT and made it clear when I interviewed that it wasn't going to happen w/o a very good reason.  While I'm not irreplaceable, I do know that it took my contractor six months to fill my position when it became available.  My leaving would hurt them a lot more.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:22:21 AM EDT
[#44]
We don't get paid for the first four hours of OT.  After those four unpaid hours, we have to work blocks of two consecutive hours to get any OT, which is all straight pay.  So for example, after those first four unpaid hours of "OT" if I worked an extra 1.8 hours one day and 0.5 the next, I'm not getting paid for any OT.  There is also a maximum of 20 hours(minus four).

Not working much OT around here- I probably didn't have 40hrs of it last year.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Sure you get paid for OT, it is figured into your salary.  If you are not properly compensated negotiate better.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:57:51 AM EDT
[#46]
196.75 hours since the first of the year.

I made 34% of my income last year in OT.

But I also go fishing for it , anytime someone in the DEPT takes vacation and I am not working that day, I email the boss asking if he wants me to work. I have not gotten a no yet.

I am now stiitng next to a 6" stack of paper I brought home to enter on OT as I sit here with the music cranked up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:03:39 AM EDT
[#47]
I am only allowed to work overtime to fix critical issues.  

Worked about 200 hours overtime last year.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Hopefully I can get a new job now that my BS degree is finished and work OT somewhere else for more money.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Min 70 hours a week when I'm on the road, average is 75-80/week.  A number of times I've turned in 100-110 weeks but that's not much fun even with the extra cash.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Union! Union! Union!

Fuck that noise. I would like to get paid what I am worth, not what some mobster lackey "negotiates" for me.

I'm not bitching too much as I am the highest paid engineer in my division.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top