Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2007 1:20:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 1:43:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure you're not on drugs?? This sounds exactly like the shit my stoned college roommate used to come up with.

If you've got a bag of oreo's on your lap right now, it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Toker.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 1:44:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:10:49 AM EDT
[#3]
2d maps for the win!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:25:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Video games are funny that way. I fly a popular online flight sim, and I simply can't stand to fly without using external views because switching views within the cockpit often makes me lose all sense of perspective- I either quickly lose track of the airplanes around me or become so disoriented that I flip over and eventually smack into the ground.

But some players have no problem flying without the aid of external views. They apparently have no trouble keeping their fighter on track while they look up, left, right, and behind to track enemies. I have no idea how they do it. Most 'hardcore' servers have external views turned off, so I can't play on them.

Galland
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:28:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you sure you're not on drugs?? This sounds exactly like the shit my stoned college roommate used to come up with.

If you've got a bag of oreo's on your lap right now, it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Toker.

You just can't stop can you.

You just can't stop convincing me you're a closet dope head. I never knew a doper in my life that didn't sit around playing PS2 wondering about reality.

Sherrick 10 minutes before posting...

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:37:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Toker.

You just can't stop convincing me you're a closet dope head. I never knew a doper in my life that didn't sit around playing PS2 wondering about reality.

iacmusic.com/Uploads/krooked_k_-_video_game_pic.jpg

You aren't being as clever as you think you are being.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:41:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:47:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I dont think so.

Well at least not until we get total immersion.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:12:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Video games are funny that way. I fly a popular online flight sim, and I simply can't stand to fly without using external views because switching views within the cockpit often makes me lose all sense of perspective- I either quickly lose track of the airplanes around me or become so disoriented that I flip over and eventually smack into the ground.

But some players have no problem flying without the aid of external views. They apparently have no trouble keeping their fighter on track while they look up, left, right, and behind to track enemies. I have no idea how they do it. Most 'hardcore' servers have external views turned off, so I can't play on them.

Galland

There's a good reason for  turning off external views. It's called IMC(inst meterological conditions).  When your in the clouds, you can't see anything.  It's how a lot of low time pilots die. They become disoriented and don't trust their instruments.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:30:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Toker.

You've convinced me you can be an ass.

It was a joke for fuck's sake. If you're too thick to tell when I'm pulling your chain and when we're actually debating then you aren't worth pissing with.

How long have you been on this site and read my posts? You have a dope-related stick in your ass, and if I tease you about it I'm obsessed and/or being an ass? You post manically in each and every drug thread, obstinently and relentlessly. You should expect someone to notice, this is GD not your church social group. Don't like to have your phobia pointed out, then don't yap in the drug threads.

I'll leave you alone from here on out, I'd hate to bully you when you're contemplating the big issues. I thought it was clear I was joking around with you, but you're taking it personally.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:34:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:36:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Apparently not. It's my fault for horsing around in GD. This is serious business, the interweb and you're correct for being the arbiter of humor and shenanigans. Afterall, you're a regular jokester yourself. Oh wait, no you're not.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:41:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently not. It's my fault for horsing around in GD. This is serious business, the interweb and you're correct for being the arbiter of humor and shenanigans. Afterall, you're a regular jokester yourself. Oh wait, no you're not.

Just wait until he finds another drug, libertarian, or other thread to refer to someone who opposed his views as a doper. That gets just as tiring.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:45:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I think you have been playing games for way to long.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:47:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Nobody likes being harrassed however.  Do you see me trolling your or Badfish's threads making smartassed comments?

I was horsing around, you think it's trolling, so there lies the difference. If you razz me in a thread, I don't honestly care a whit.

You have a knack for opening yourself up to it I thought in a humorous way and like I said I thought it was in good fun. You're a tireless foil to anyone who ever mentions drugs, and I thought if you were man enough to dish, well you know the rest. If you're seriously offended, then you're the last person I'll toy with.

I'm not serious about much on this site, but I'm also not dead set on making anyone miserable. I honestly thought you understood that. Oh well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:49:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I think you have been playing games for way to long.

Like I said, this is serious fucking business and I forgot that. I mean, just look at the topic. Cancer, heart attacks, global terrorism, all child's play. We're talking about playstation and spatial directions. That's some heavy shit dude. Heavy shit.

Thanks for setting me straight. I appreciate it.

<hugs opti>
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:52:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't go all drama-queen on us. You just weren't being particularly clever; try some different shtick next time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:14:58 AM EDT
[#18]
So, what happened to games and how learning maps there relates to the real world?

Oh, that's right.  Everyone is too interested in DRUGS to talk about anything else!!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:15:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't go all drama-queen on us. You just weren't being particularly clever; try some different shtick next time.

So I should have went for the cop-angle, right? Well, he's not a good popo stereotype.

If there's a hallmark, classic and written on the tablet of doper legend, it's the visual of a stoned guy sitting around playing video games, philosophizing. I don't know what planet everyone else is living on, but when the drug-phobia lord of Arfcom starts talking about playing video games and contemplating spacial cognitive parallels, I'm busting a god damned gut reading it. I'm sorry, that's funny.

I apologize for going for the easy humor. Next time I'll tell him he shoots dogs for a living if it's better comedy.

Did everyone sit naked in the sandbox this morning?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:19:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
So, what happened to games and how learning maps there relates to the real world?

Oh, that's right.  Everyone is too interested in DRUGS to talk about anything else!!!

Sue me.

The topic isn't even that hard to figure out. We reconcile top-down geographical directions with landmark association, male map-reading with a blend of female-familiar signs. The same skill that works in real life works in video games, although the more narrow 2-d screen limits our sensory intake and we tend to see the video game much more in lines of travel unlike the real world, where more complex and numerous markers help us to associate coordinates to a perceived space or map in our minds....creating a 3-D sense of height, direction, and map all blended together.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:19:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Intelligent humor and ARFcomm - sometimes it just doesn't work.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:22:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Toker.

Is he on the left or right?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:24:14 AM EDT
[#23]
If you have a dope stick up your ass I think it will feel different.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:24:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sue me.

The topic isn't even that hard to figure out. We reconcile top-down geographical directions with landmark association, male map-reading with a blend of female-familiar signs. The same skill that works in real life works in video games, although the more narrow 2-d screen limits our sensory intake and we tend to see the video game much more in lines of travel unlike the real world, where more complex and numerous markers help us to associate coordinates to a perceived space or map in our minds....creating a 3-D sense of height, direction, and map all blended together.

I wasn't asking for the way, life and truth.  I have a pretty good concept of how it works, which is why I clicked on the thread in the first place, thinking that maybe a good article had been posted or some new insight had been presented.

What I found instead was a bunch og trolling, bickering and hijacking.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:28:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I think it has some association, at least.

However, I think it's much easier to find your way around if it's in 3rd person perspective, rather than first. I don't know that it directly corresponds to say, finding your way around the interstate, but I think there might be some association with remember where certain stores are in an urban environment.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:41:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I think it has some association, at least.

However, I think it's much easier to find your way around if it's in 3rd person perspective, rather than first. I don't know that it directly corresponds to say, finding your way around the interstate, but I think there might be some association with remember where certain stores are in an urban environment.

for me it depends on what you mean by 3rd person.

Do you mean the over the shoulder camera?

do you mean the blimp view?

Something in between?

For me personally I find that it is easier to 'think' in first person than in some of the other views.

But I think it is how you 'trained' your brain to think.  I remember back when I used to play EQ I nearly always used first person view.  Yet I knew lots of people that had to be in third person camera view.  I came from the 'doom' school, and alot of them came from console games that were the 'over the shoulder' view.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:55:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I'm playing San Andreas and have gotten to know the cities pretty damn well.  I'm wondering if you use the same part of your brain for 'real world' direction finding and 'in game' knowing your way around.

I'm trying to figure out if it "feels" the same finding my way around in the game and in the real world.

I really don't know.  I think if feels different.

Has any scientist studied this?

I too love San Andreas. I'm a buff, suit wearing, clean cut gang leader, ladies man, real estate and sports car collector in that world.

However, i'm pretty bad with direction both in the real world and in San Andreas. I have a GPS unit in the real world, and have to consult the map frequently in GTA: SA. Anyways, the most recently article on video games and the brain I read about was WHY video games are so addictive...

Our brains are addicted to the sensation of solving problems and making a difference. It's hard to make a difference in the real world... but games are designed so that almost anyone can be the "hero".

I am Gordon Freeman. So are you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:22:14 AM EDT
[#28]
There are some differences.  In the real world there are more visual cues.  So if you can find your way round in the game then real life would be easier.

Video game use the same texture maps over and over in the environment to save memory.  This can give you that wierd I think I've been here before feeling.  In real life there is something different every where you go and you brain is recording all this with out you realizing it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:36:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:39:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:41:47 AM EDT
[#31]
I get lost in GTA all the time.

Then again, I navigate with a GPS in the real world, and get lost all the time...

Av.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top