Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2007 8:55:35 PM EDT
I bought the stuff to make an Easy Bake Garbage Can.

I was looking at how these guys did it and have a wiring question. They are hooking the green ground wire to the plastic box. First off the boxes I bought have no ground screw. Second, what good is that going to do?

The way I see it this garbage can needs grounded in case of a short. Shouldn't I attach the ground wire to the can itself? Like hooking the ground wire to one of the bolts used to attach the plastic box to the can?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't look at your link, but your notion is correct. Hooking the green/grounding wire to a plastic (insulated) box is worse than useless.

ETA - looked at the link. Seems like they were attaching to the grounding connector in the boxes because the Electrical Code requires it, and to allow a path to ground if there wa a fault with one of the lampholders.

IMHO? I'd run a short length of copper wire to the can itself and secure it to one of the grounding screws in a box. That way it's protected as well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Make it easy on yourself and just put a hair dryer in the can with the stock.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you are talking about Fig. 14 it looks as though the terminal is going over the bolt holding the box to the can.  That would (correctly) ground the can itself.  You can't ground a plastic box, as you indicated.  

I know you can't ground plastic, that is why I am posting this.

In fig 13 you can see what they are hooking to, in middle box. Next to the screw for the fixture is a tab with a green screw. My boxes do not have that. The fixtures have no ground screw.

This is why I think I should attach it to one of the bolts I attach the box to the can with.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:29:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Bump for day electricians.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:43:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Just put a trouble light in the bottom of the garbage can, or even an appropriately sized cardboard box and experiment with lightbulb wattage.  The bulb will supply low and even heat and you won't have to mess with wiring.  Most guys have a trouble light don't they?  If not, now you have an excuse to buy one at the auto parts or hardware store.  I used this method to cure the finish on rifle stocks and it works fine.  In fact, to cure the finish on a rifle stock, I think I found that about 25 watts was needed.  Anything larger put out too much heat.

dvo
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top