Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2007 5:14:23 PM EDT
are they armed?

Reason I ask is in light of the VT situation.

But let me explain first:

I go to a community college with a large student population, but what seems to be a small amount of officers.  While we do have a training institute for our sheriff's office, I see only a few officers that belong to the campus police that are armed.  And only the trainers of the SO training institute are armed.

Adding to that, from what I've heard, only a few officers of the school are "trained", or somesuch where those untrained can't arrest people.

This sort of brings up a security question, especially since there is no CCW in IL, period.

Disclaimer: Not a police hate thread.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#1]
not sure ive never noticed.. I'll make sure to talk a look tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#2]
We had alot of bike cops, they were armed
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't even say I have seen campus security in the last couple of years.

I see patrol cars parked occasionally.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#4]
My campus has no law enforcement.  We have one security guard that is armed with OC spray and a baton.  Granted...campus is a block from the police dept and two blocks from the Sheriff's Dept.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#5]
The only contact I ever had with them was getting parking tickets left on my car.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I went to Columbia College in Columbia, MO. They had security guards, unarmed. When I went to the University of Missouri-Columbia they had POST certified armed police officers. They were a good group of people and generally got along well with the Boone County Sheriffs department, the Missouri State Police and Columbia Police. There were instances of friction, but overall they had a good working relationship. They had to. They had to cooperate to get through football games.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#7]
From what I remember, the campus police here at Purdue do carry but we also have West Lafayette police that patrol the area.

Every great once in awhile I see a foot patrol but usually they are in cars and when the weather is nice we do have bike patrol.  We also have emergency phones placed all over campus that  IIRC, connect directly to the police dept.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#8]
One school of about 6000 had no armed officer,  but the one i transferred to had quite more armed officers than the surronding town, probably like VA Tech
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My campus has no law enforcement.  We have one security guard that is armed with OC spray and a baton.  Granted...campus is a block from the police dept and two blocks from the Sheriff's Dept.
Well we're not too far from the local courthouse and the police department.  The question is response time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The only contact I ever had with them was getting parking tickets left on my car.

sounds about right...

fred
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Ours don't even have pepper spray. They have their wits and their hands.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#12]
2 years ago one of our campus security guys was shot... He died.  They caught the guy about 5 months latter.

They added some lights to the area where he was shot.

The security people still are not armed.

I asked why and was told if they were they would have to be an actual police force and hence paid more so the school couldn't afford the same number of people.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Some campuses, Youngstown State for example, have actual police departments with sworn officers and sidearms and all the fun stuff that comes with them.  Other colleges, Mercyhurst University for example, just have rent-a-cops and they only carried pepper-spray, radios and a booklet of parking tickets.  I was told, however, that some of them were actual sworn officers and had the power of arrest, but I never confirmed it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Just to add in light of other posts:
The police do have a fleet of cars that patrol the campus roads and parking lots.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#15]
We have campus police as well as city police;

I'm in Fayetteville, AR, and the city was *basically* built around the college, so while we have 'campus police', they might as well be a division of the city police - just with a more specific coverage area (i.e. the campus).

They are armed and they do have their own patrol cars though; we also have bike police too. They don't really make their presence known too much (although they were out in force the past couple of days to make people 'feel safe' I guess...) and are mainly relegated to controlling traffic flow on gameday
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#16]
They are a real-deal police department, just like you'd find in a town or city. They are sworn officers with powers of arrest, and yes, they are armed. They have SIG P226's if I'm not mistaken.

They ride segways.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#17]
My school is about 6k population.  We have several campus police with Glock 21s and several security guards armed with walkie talkies.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Some campuses, Youngstown State for example, have actual police departments with sworn officers and sidearms and all the fun stuff that comes with them.  Other colleges, Mercyhurst University for example, just have rent-a-cops and they only carried pepper-spray, radios and a booklet of parking tickets.  I was told, however, that some of them were actual sworn officers and had the power of arrest, but I never confirmed it.

Our police department works out of a building, I have heard they are off-duty cops from other towns and also off-duty state troopers.

I can't confirm it either.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#19]
None at the community college I go to. Well, unless you count the plain clothes weird guy that took my "statement" when my wallet got stolen.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#20]
yep, full size glocks. can't tell if they are 17s or GLOCK FOWTYS (might not be professional enough to carry those).
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#21]
With an undergraduate student body of roughly 13,000 and nearly 6,000 grads not including faculty and staff, I can't say that in the last year and half I have ever seen an officer patrolling campus. I have, however, seen them on the outskirts of campus which borders forest. They are armed, but I do not know how many there are.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#22]
The security for CU are fully sworn peace officers, with all of the attendent toys. They can enage in police functions off of campus, and although it isn't very common, it does happen (old roommate got a speeding ticket from one well off campus).

I don't know how often the regular Boulder police go onto campus.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I work for my campus police department (University of CA PD). They're definitely sworn officers, with firearms. In fact, ours carry Sig 226's in .40 with Surefire weapon lights, and M4geries (one real M4, but all are class 3, the non-auto ones are SBR: real M4s without the auto) also with Surefire lights (integral to handguard). Interestingly, the rangemaster/armorer went to a Pat Rogers carbine class a few months ago and ranked first in the final test for the class: MEU(SOC) Carbine Quals. And a couple months later, did an Active-Shooter Response course and was already teaching the other officers before this happened. (10:1 they'll get more funding now...)

Yeah, we have real cops. With real guns. And real training. The student employees () just get radios and Stinger flashlights.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#24]
At Western Washington Univ they have at least pepper spray and a taser.  Many of them don't carry a firearm, iirc, some do.  But they spend most of the day issuing parking tickets.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Purdue Cops carry.  Problem is that they can't shoot worth a damn.  Couple years ago they managed to shoot over a 40 ft+ high berm and hit a parked aircraft on the other side.  Tried to blame the Trap and Skeet Team for it too IIRC. . . . .

Truth be told, I'd rather they get issued whistles to blow on to summon people who carry and know how to shoot, cause 99% of the Campus PD's training is on parking tickets, and Public Intox stuff.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Purdue Cops carry.  Problem is that they can't shoot worth a damn.  Couple years ago they managed to shoot over a 40 ft+ high berm and hit a parked aircraft on the other side.  Tried to blame the Trap and Skeet Team for it too IIRC. . . . .

Truth be told, I'd rather they get issued whistles to blow on to summon people who carry and know how to shoot, cause 99% of the Campus PD's training is on parking tickets, and Public Intox stuff.  

You know what's sad is that here in Lafayette, they made public intox a more serious offense than DUI because of the revenue money.  They know most student's won't fight it and instead pay the $150 fine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I go to school in a very small town, at a college with 1500 kids.  We have 9 officers I think, and none of them are armed.  Flashlights seem to be about it.  They may have pepper spray, but i dont remember seeing it.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:51:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Aimless,
if they're contracted, how do they write parking/speeding tickets?  In an article they stated that they once caught a guy breaking into a vending machine.

If a VT-esque situation happened,you better believer me I'd get out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Sidearm...check
Shotgun...check
M4...check
Baton...check
Pepper Spray...check
Tazer...check
Riot Gear...check
K-9 Unit...check
Traffic/Radar...check
Sniper...check

Yeah, they're armed.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#31]
University of Washington has its own police (real cops) and Seattle PD all around the campus.

A local community college has off-duty (maybe on-duty) uniformed and armed cops that kill time in the cafeteria
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I attend a small private college, about 2500 students. We have dormatories that house about 700, public safty at each entrance. Rent-a-cop's, no guns, mace maybe, but no real enforcement other than maybe physical contact...
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I go to Georgia State and the police force is basicly non existant. I have no idea about their training. The very crappy thing about the school is that it is spread over a section of Atlanta with all kinds of businesses and condo buildings between the actual school buidlings. It is not like a regular college campus. I enjoy walking from my car to the class room and right before I walk into the building have bums beg money off of me. And when I walk into the building there is the campus cop leaning up against a counter talking to the girl that is supposed to be there to help people with information. Yeah, very shitty campus policing.

Now, for undergrad I went to Kennesaw State University which is north of Atlanta. The campus cops there were very visible and active patroling looking out for things. Granted they were ticket happy but they were visible and always around. I became freinds with one of them in a class we both took. He told me that the majority of them were cops from Atlanta that had burned out on the job and decided to work at KSU where they could make the same money and have a lot less stress. So I feel their training was very thurough.

Comparing the two, the Kennesaw campus police blow the Georgia State police out of the water. There just is no comparing the two. Both are armed and are classified as deputy sherrifs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#34]
We have over 200 officers on campus, all of them armed with G17's just like the real police.  They even have a bunch of squad cars and everything.  A month or two they had active shooter training inside one of the buildings inbetween semesters.

They really seem to be on top of things compared to other colleges.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#35]
UCF employs around 50 "sworn" (so says the school) LEOs.  All have patrol cars (CVs, Impalas) and all are armed, the one I talked to last year had a GLOCK 9mm with JHP.  We have 3 K-9s and an SRT unit as well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#36]
We probably have around 100-150 officers, armed with glocks (I believe) for an undergrad student body of 40,000+. They also have AR's in every squad car, shotguns are in the trunk...They also have some vans and probably 50 cars...

ETA: Go Badgers!  
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#37]
UIUC (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign) PD is very well equipped. I've heard - and would probably agree - that UIUC PD is better equipped than either of the city police forces. They are technically a state police force, and supposedly get good funding because of that fact.

Their range - a.k.a Police Training Institute (PTI) - is pretty good, and well-run. Students and faculty now have range access there  - through either Illini On Target and the Faculty-Staff Firearms Safety Program, respectively. I can personally affirm that some of the officers here are definitely good shots.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#38]
With about 44,000 people on campus, I can't really say I've seen a member of the actual campus police force more than three or four times all year.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#39]
University of Florida here---yes, they are armed. But I am not
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Old Community College - No. We have 'rent a cops' under the name of 'Motivated Security' which is a oxymoron...

Rutgers- Yes. They even have some 'tactical' vehicles for SHTF situations. Considering the school at NB is about 20k, I'd say they need it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#41]
At the U of I in Champaign they are armed with Glock Fo-tays and in the trunks of the squad cars are AR-15 semi-autos.  They are as well trained as any other municipal officer around.  Some are very skillful and exceptionally well trained.

I spoke with one tonight and asked what their policy was on active shooters.

"You wait until the next officer arrives and then go in as a pair with your ARs."  As officers roll up, they would enter in pairs until the shooter was DRT.

I asked another small town officer around here and he said their policy was to wait until four officers were present then they would go into the building in a 'diamond' formation.

I personally prefer the UI's policy better...

But either beats the piss poor performance at Columbine where they stood around with their dicks in their hands for two or more hours waiting for the SWAT teams to arrive.

John

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top