Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2007 4:51:04 PM EDT
When I put the enblock clip into my recently purchased Garand, I have to shove the bolt carrier forward, instead of it snapping forward like it's supposed to.

What could be causing this?  The gun's pretty dry, any special place I should be oiling it? Bad recoil spring
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#1]
M1s need to be greased.

This is what I use.

Also check out the M1/M1A forum here.

www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=6
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Often the first round has to be nudged.   That's why you see the loading sequence of shoving in the clip, then smacking the charging handle forward with the same hand.

There's nothing really abnormal if that first round takes some effort to strip out of the clip.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, if the bolt is slowing or sticking while over the clip, that's fairly normal. Having to bump the op-rod forward with your hand is not a sign of something wrong, per se, unless the bolt is refusing to move forward after the clip is inserted and your thumb isn't pushing down on the rounds anymore.

Also, greasing may help.

HTH and Good Luck

ETA: beaten to it
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Greasing may help, but it's perfectly normal to have to nudge the op rod on the first round. If it makes you feel any better, I've seen a video of John C. Garand himself doing it during a demonstration.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#5]
that is normal
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
When I put the enblock clip into my recently purchased Garand, I have to shove the bolt carrier forward, instead of it snapping forward like it's supposed to.

What could be causing this?  The gun's pretty dry, any special place I should be oiling it? Bad recoil spring

I'm thinking that the enblock clip is not being completely seated (snapped in)..
Try shoving it down harder, see if the bolt does not release when it does snap in.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I have found that old used clips strip the first round easer than new clips due to the tension on the rounds in the clip. When using old clips one needs to be extra careful as they are easer to smash your thumb when loading. I have two really old and heavily used clips that I have used the heck out of. In fact they were used when I got em. When I use a newer clip with my M1 I must push forward on the op rod too. Like others have said this is normal
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#9]
You need grease, not oil on the garand

get your focking hand out of the way when you nudge the bolt forward,

if the gun slam fires the bolt handle will tear your hand open.  this has happened before

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:05:47 AM EDT
[#10]
thanks for all the replies...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top