Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2007 12:56:41 PM EDT
look below.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
just looking for a place to put it

This will do.

I was looking for part 2 of the official thread but could not find it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

This will do.

Here you go.  VA SHooting Thread Two Link
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:00:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

This will do.

'

thanks macman this deserves it's own thread fuck evrything else damn if before we did not know what was going on for 2 hours. well we now know.

Gunman contacted NBC News during massacre
Rambling communication, video being examined by FBI, network says

MSNBC
Updated: 3 minutes ago

BLACKSBURG, Va. -

Sometime after he killed two people in a dormitory but before he slaughtered 30 more in a classroom building Monday morning, Cho Seung-Hui sent NBC News a rambling communication and videos about his grievances, the network said Wednesday.

Network officials turned the material over to the FBI and said they would not immediately disclose its contents pending the agency’s review beyond characterizing the material as “disturbing.” It included a written communication, photographs and video.

The network said it would release a statement shortly.

Cho, 23, a senior English major at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, killed 32 people in two separate attacks Monday before taking his own life.

But as early as 2005, police and school administrators were wrestling with what to do with the young man, who was accused of stalking two female students and was sent to a mental health facility after police obtained a temporary detention order.

The two women complained to campus police that Cho was contacting them with “annoying” telephone calls and e-mail messages in November and December 2005, campus Police Chief Wendell Flinchum said.

Cho was referred to the university’s disciplinary system, but Flinchum said the woman declined to press charges, and the case apparently never reached a hearing.

Detention order issued
However, after the second incident, the department received a call from an acquaintance of Cho’s, who was concerned that he might be suicidal, Flinchum said. Police obtained a temporary detention order from a local magistrate, and in December of that year, Cho was voluntarily but briefly admitted to Carilion St. Albans Behavioral Health Center in Radford, NBC News’ Jim Popkin reported.

To issue a detention order under Virginia law, a magistrate must find both that the subject is “mentally ill and in need of hospitalization or treatment” and that the subject is “an imminent danger to himself or others, or is so seriously mentally ill as to be substantially unable to care for himself.”

According to a doctor’s report accompanying the order, which was first reported by the Richmond Times-Dispatch, Cho was “depressed,” but “his insight and judgment are normal.” The doctor, a clinical psychologist who was not identified, noted that Cho “denies suicidal ideations.”

Under the law, the magistrate could have issued a stronger detention order mandating inpatient treatment, but there was no indication Wednesday that such an order was ever entered. A spokesman for Carilion St. Albans told NBC News that he could not discuss Cho’s case because of patient confidentiality and privacy laws, but he said the hospital was cooperating with the investigation.

Otherwise, Flinchum said, there were no further police incidents involving Cho until the deadly shootings Monday, first in a young woman’s dormitory room and then at a classroom building across campus. Neither of the alleged stalking victims was among the victims Monday.

In addition to the 33 people confirmed dead, including the gunman, nine people remained in hospitals in stable condition, hospital authorities said.

Health records sought
Campus police applied Wednesday for search warrants for all of Cho’s medical records from Schiffert Health Center on campus and New River Community Services in Blacksburg.

”It is reasonable to believe that the medical records may provide evidence of motive, intent and designs,” investigators wrote in the documents, according to The Associated Press.

Police searched Cho’s dorm room Tuesday and recovered, among other items, a chain and a combination lock, according to documents filed Wednesday. The front doors of Norris Hall, the classroom building, had been chained shut from the inside during the shooting rampage.

Other items that were seized included a folding knife; two computers, a hard disk and other computer disks; documents, books, notebooks and other writings; a digital camera; compact disks; and two Dremel tools, which are rotating tools used for cutting, sanding and other applications.

In an affidavit seeking the search warrant, police found a “bomb threat” note — directed at engineering school buildings — near the victims in the classroom building. In the past three weeks, Virginia Tech had received two other bomb threats; investigators said they had not connected those to Cho.

Family sought better life in U.S.
Cho arrived in the United States as an 8-year-old boy from South Korea in 1992 and was raised in an off-white, two-story townhouse in Centreville, Va., a suburb of Washington, where his parents worked at a dry cleaners. He graduated from Westfield High School in Chantilly in 2003.

Cho’s family moved to the United States in search of a better life, said the family’s landlady in South Korea. The family was poor and lived in a cheap basement apartment on the outskirts of Seoul, the woman told South Korean television Wednesday.

Cho had an older sister, Sun-Kyung, who graduated from Princeton University with an economics degree in 2004, Princeton officials confirmed.

The Princeton student newspaper reported Wednesday that she is pursuing a career as a State Department contractor working on the reconstruction of Iraq. It said that Sun-Kyung Cho was “palpably upset” when it contacted her and that she refused its requests for an interview.

Student concerned classmates, teachers
Her brother, however, was described as a sullen loner by several students and professors. They had long been alarmed by his class writings — pages filled with twisted, violence-drenched writing.

Nikki Giovanni, the famous poet who is a professor at Virginia Tech, said Wednesday that while she did not fear for her life or the lives of her other students, she had Cho removed from her class because he was a disruptive force.

“He was mean,” Giovanni told NBC News’ Peter Alexander. “He was trying to bully me. He was trying to bully the class, for what purpose I have no idea.

“I wanted him out of my classroom,” she said.

Lucinda Roy, a co-director of creative writing at Virginia Tech, said she tutored Cho after that. She called Cho “a gifted student in some ways. But he was very lonely and depressed, in my opinion. We didn’t build up a rapport because he wasn’t the kind of student who would permit that.”

“I think it’s crazy” that there are no stronger procedures for dealing with seriously troubled students, she said in an interview with NBC News. “I think there needs to be a change. We must intervene, and that is all there is to it.”

Referred for counseling
Cho’s writing was so disturbing that he was referred to the university’s counseling service, said Carolyn Rude, chairwoman of the university’s English Department.

In a screenplay Cho wrote for a class last fall, characters throw hammers and attack with chainsaws, according to fellow students in the class. In another, Cho concocted a tale of students who fantasized about stalking and killing a teacher who sexually molested them.

“His writing, the plays, were really morbid and grotesque,” Stephanie Derry, a classmate of Cho’s, told the campus newspaper, The Collegiate Times. “I remember one of them very well. It was about a son who hated his stepfather. In the play, the boy threw a chainsaw around and hammers at him. But the play ended with the boy violently suffocating the father with a Rice Krispie treat.”

Derry said classmates even joked that they “were just waiting for him to do something, waiting to hear about something he did. But when I got the call it was Cho who had done this, I started crying, bawling.”

Despite the many warning signs that came to light in the bloody aftermath, police and university officials offered no clues as to exactly what set Cho off.

Cho left notes that were found after the bloodbath castigating fellow students, investigators said. One of them said, “You forced me do this,” NBC News’ Chris Clackum reported Wednesday, but it could not immediately be determined when the notes were written or whether they referred specifically to Monday’s events.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
welll fucking well he had time to shoot 30 more people and now he also had time to send nbc a manifesto.

ok i will say again what the fuck happened for 2 hours.

i am waiting on link.

Virginia Tech shooter Cho Seung-Hui is believed to have sent a package of images and writings received by NBC news organization that police say may be critical to their investigation.

They were hardly "sitting". they had a suspect.They were getting warrants and interviewing. Thats what police do within the first couple of hours of an incident.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
welll fucking well he had time to shoot 30 more people and now he also had time to send nbc a manifesto.

ok i will say again what the fuck happened for 2 hours.

i am waiting on link.

Virginia Tech shooter Cho Seung-Hui is believed to have sent a package of images and writings received by NBC news organization that police say may be critical to their investigation.

They were hardly "sitting". they had a suspect.They were getting warrants and interviewing. Thats what police do within the first couple of hours of an incident.

i understand that much but this is going to turn very bad for the popo.

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like all the big players won something in this killing spree..

The cops get a chance to parade their hardware, show their muscle and act tough.. of course they were a day late and a dollar short as far as the victims are concerned ...

And the media got a blood letting that will bring in billions in advertising revenue..
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I bet it said something like:

"Ha-ha! My right to legally purchase and possess firearms has turned me into a mass murderer! If you morons had banned all guns, I wouldn't be killing all these people right now!!!"

... or not.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#12]
so is nbc culpable because they apparently had this info and didn't alert the University in a timely manner?

What if it comes out that he sent this in at 8:23 AM and then didn't begin the second shooting until 9:45ish.

That means nbc had the info for 1 hour and 22 minutes.  Plenty of time to lock down the campus and prone everybody (all 26,000 of them) out and begin doing pat-downs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Once again guns dont kill people, people kill people. How was this man even close to being classified as stable? Of course he wasnt. The goverment should put some of that welfare money into research for pyschological research concerning the creation of more reliable drugs and treatment as well as screening procedures. And if all else fails make sure the students at least have a handgun by their side.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
so is nbc culpable because they apparently had this info and didn't alert the University in a timely manner?

What if it comes out that he sent this in at 8:23 AM and then didn't begin the second shooting until 9:45ish.

That means nbc had the info for 1 hour and 22 minutes.  Plenty of time to lock down the campus and prone everybody (all 26,000 of them) out and begin doing pat-downs.

they supposedly got it in the mail today.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I bet it said something like:

"Ha-ha! My right to legally purchase and possess firearms has turned me into a mass murderer! If you morons had banned all guns, I wouldn't be killing all these people right now!!!"

... or not.

You're gonna get raped

(after the Brady Campaign tells everyone this is what the shooter actually wrote)
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Once again guns dont kill people, people kill people. How was this man even close to being classified as stable? Of course he wasnt. The goverment should put some of that welfare money into research for pyschological research concerning the creation of more reliable drugs and treatment as well as screening procedures. And if all else fails making sure the students at least have a handgun by their side.

That's a pretty respectable first post.

Welcome to arfcom.

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#18]
The contents are going to be shown on NBC Nightly News tonight.

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

what time does it come on.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

oh.  I guess I misunderstood.  They said he sent it in between the shootings.  I went back and re-read it and don't see that it came today in the mail in the article. I suppose it might be something akin to a "press release a'la some terrorist orgs.  I wonder how they are pin-pointing the time sent.  Postmark?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

oh.  I guess I misunderstood.  They said he sent it in between the shootings.  I went back and re-read it and don't see that it came today in the mail in the article. I suppose it might be something akin to a "press release a'la some terrorist orgs.  I wonder how they are pin-pointing the time sent.  Postmark?

1 of the breifings said how when it came in i think.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then it is the fault of the post office.  Fire the Postmaster General.

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

6:30pm EST
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

6:30pm EST

thanks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

If he sent them pics and details like it says, then yeah, I'd accuse them of culpability.

Network officials turned the material over to the FBI and said they would not immediately disclose its contents pending the agency’s review beyond characterizing the material as “disturbing.” It included a written communication, photographs and video.

They had been given a wealth of information to share with LE.

You wouldn't have to frisk 26,000; just all the Asian guys if he sent pics of himself.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then it is the fault of the post office.  Fire the Postmaster General.

somebody detected the irony
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Once again guns dont kill people, people kill people. How was this man even close to being classified as stable? Of course he wasnt. The goverment should put some of that welfare money into research for pyschological research concerning the creation of more reliable drugs and treatment as well as screening procedures.

We waste enough tax dollars, so lets not advocate wasting more, okay?

And if all else fails make sure the students at least have a handgun by their side.

Otherwise, good post.

Welcome to ARFCOM! (post pics of your AR now)

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#28]
NBC didnt get the mail until today.

The shooter mailed it through the post office service between shootings.  NBC is not at fault here,  they found it when they opened the mail this morning.  Takes time for mail to arrive.

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#29]
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18169776/

Gunman sent package to NBC News
‘This didn’t have to happen,’ says message mailed between shootings

BREAKING NEWS
By Alex Johnson
MSNBC
Updated: less than 1 minute ago

Sometime after he killed two people in a Virginia university dormitory but before he slaughtered 30 more in a classroom building Monday morning, Cho Seung-Hui mailed NBC News a large package, including photographs and videos, lamenting that “this didn’t have to happen,” the network said Wednesday.

Cho, 23, a senior English major at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, killed 32 people in two attacks before taking his own life.

NBC News President Steve Capus said the network received the package in Wednesday morning’s mail delivery and immediately turned the materials over to FBI agents in New York.

The package included a long, “rambling, manifesto-like statement embedded with a series of photographs,” Capus said. The material is “hard-to-follow ... disturbing, very disturbing — very angry, profanity-laced,” he said.

It did not include any images of the shootings Monday, but it did contain “vague references,” including “things like ‘this didn’t have to happen,’ ” Capus said in an interview late Wednesday afternoon.

“NBC Nightly News” planned to show some of the material Wednesday night.

Capus said gloved NBC security personnel handled the package very carefully as soon as it arrived. The network immediately called the FBI and turned it over.

The package bore a U.S. Postal Service stamp recording that it had been received at a Virginia post office at 9:01 a.m. ET Monday, about an hour and 45 minutes after Cho shot two people in the West Ambler Johnston residence hall on the Virginia Tech campus and shortly before Cho entered Norris Hall, where he killed 30 more people.

“We probably would have received the mail earlier had it not been that he had the wrong address and ZIP code,” Capus said.

Shooter speaks on camera
Among the materials are 23 QuickTime video files showing Cho talking directly to the camera, Capus said. He does not name anyone specifically, but he talks at length about religion and his hatred of the wealthy.

The production of the videos indicated that Cho had worked on the package for some time, because he not only “took the time to record the videos, but he also broke them down into snippets” that were embedded paragraph by paragraph into the main document, Capus said.

The package also includes several photographs showing Cho in different locations, sometimes posed against a white, cinderblock wall. In some of the photographs, Cho is holding handguns “consistent with what we’ve heard about the guns in this incident,” Capus said.

Other photographs show Cho holding a knife, and some show hollow-point bullets lined up on a table, Capus said.

“This may be a very new, critical component of this investigation,” said Col. Steven Flaherty, superintendent of Virginia State Police, the lead agency investigating the shootings. “We’re in the process right now of attempting to analyze and evaluate its worth.”
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#30]
WOW just WOW!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:19:09 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18169776/

Gunman sent package to NBC News
‘This didn’t have to happen,’ says message mailed between shootings

BREAKING NEWS
By Alex Johnson
MSNBC
Updated: less than 1 minute ago

<snip>
Among the materials are 23 QuickTime video files showing Cho talking directly to the camera, Capus said. He does not name anyone specifically, but he talks at length about religion and his hatred of the wealthy.

<snip>

I really hope we get to see or at least read a complete transcript of what was on those video files.  I hope the authorities and media don't cover this up.  It could tell us if our suspicions were unfounded or valid.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#32]
would the use of hollow point bullets explain why they are having such a hard time id'ing the dead.

hollow point to the face. damn.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I figured this might be the case when they mentioned that the shooter's face was partially missing from a shot to the back of his head.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I figured this might be the case when they mentioned that the shooter's face was partially missing from a shot to the back of his head.

how the fuck would he shoot himself in the back of the head.

and who the fuck capped him then if this is true.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:27:28 PM EDT
[#35]

video files showing Cho talking directly to the camera, Capus said. He does not name anyone specifically, but he talks at length about religion and his hatred of the wealthy.

Any Ideas on what Religion of Peace he might be talking of?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

video files showing Cho talking directly to the camera, Capus said. He does not name anyone specifically, but he talks at length about religion and his hatred of the wealthy.

Why do you hear "religion" and automaticaly think Islam, is my question. If he's pissed off at religion, its more likely hes mad at Christianity.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

he could shoot himself in the head quite easily.

it's obvious he was a coward, how hard is it to infer that he couldn't face his own muzzle?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look to your left, then put the forefinger on your right hand to the back (right rear) of your head...
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look to your left, then put the forefinger on your right hand to the back (right rear) of your head...

thanks for explaning that . that makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah but why go through that trouble of cocking your arm to a weird angle instead of in the mouth, under the chin or through the temple?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Jesus....

He sounds like Napoleon Dynamite on a snit.

"Decided to spill my blood...."

No, you dumb little bastard. We didn't spill your blood.

....but I wish like hell I had the opportunity to do so.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Yeah but why go through that trouble of cocking your arm to a weird angle instead of in the mouth, under the chin or through the temple?

Why go through the trouble of slaughtering 30 people?

Reason doesn't live in this sort of situation.

Nobody knows why this dumb bastard did anything he did.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Apparently the idiot had a grudge against Jesus too.

What a dork.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Jesus....

He sounds like Napoleon Dynamite on a snit.

"Decided to spill my blood...."

No, you dumb little bastard. We didn't spill your blood.

....but I wish like hell I had the opportunity to do so.

+1
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you hear "religion" and automaticaly think Islam, is my question. If he's pissed off at religion, its more likely hes mad at Christianity.

Oh Ok, so lets back up and take the liberal method, There is nothing Wrong with Islam or any other Religons, they just hate the CHRISTIANS. Ok...
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Right now the snippets I've seen of the video just show a massive hatred of Jesus and Christianity.  I'm waiting to see the rest.  I wonder how much they'll actually release and how much they'll bury.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why go through the trouble of slaughtering 30 people?

Reason doesn't live in this sort of situation.

Nobody knows why this dumb bastard did anything he did.

Obviously theres a different between cocking your arm weirdly while killing yourself and putting it to your temple and killing 30 people.

No one asked why he did it.  

When putting a gun behind your ear to kill yourself, you have to cock your arm at a weird angle.  If you put it to your temple, its right there, bam.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#50]
How about we leave the mentally ill people in their own countries. Why is a crazy person allowed to buy a pistol?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top