Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/17/2007 9:00:59 PM EDT
Well, yah.

news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=261805

Killer's parents hospitalised 'with shock'

Wednesday Apr 18 13:00 AEST
By ninemsn staff

The parents of mass killer Cho Seung-hi were hospitalised with shock and had not attempted suicide, contrary to reports in Korean media.

Korea's Yonhap news agency reported that Cho's parents, who ran a dry cleaning shop in Centreville, Virginia, had been hospitalised after learning of ther son's killing rampage at Virginia Tech University.

Rumours earlier spread through Korean media sources that Cho's parents had attempted suicide.

The Korea Herald, quoting Radio Korea in Los Angeles, reported that Cho's father tried to slash his wrists. His mother had reportedly swallowed a toxic drug.

Cho was a permanent resident of the US, who came there to live there with his parents in 1992.

His sister was a graduate of Princeton University, according to the Korea Times.

Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#1]
oops, nevermind.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Just try to imagine how much it must suck to try to be good parents, and then your son goes insane, and kills a bunch of people, and you;'re going to spend the REST OF YOUR LIFE wondering where you went wrong.

I feel sympathy for them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe they fell asleep with a fan on .
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder how many people in the states know about Korean 'fan death'
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#5]
hmm...I use a dry cleaning shop in Centerville owned by Koreans.  Anybody got an address?
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just try to imagine how much it must suck to try to be good parents, and then your son goes insane, and kills a bunch of people, and you;'re going to spend the REST OF YOUR LIFE wondering where you went wrong.

Parent's worst nightmare.

"He was such a good boy"
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Well I think you can certainly say they are getting worse treatment then the arfcommer wrongly accused here. I dunno if I could live with it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I know I dont
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Their son brought great shame to them, Far Eastern culture treats this a lot differently than our culture.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Only thing his parents did wrong (if anything) was not take him to a shrink or notice that something might be wrong.

Because it seems all points are going towards that he was very mentally ill.....Paranoid Schizophrenic.

1. Warped "play" writing
2. Telling certain people you have an imaginary GF.
3. Loaner
4. Very antisocial to a fault
5. Hardly talked
6. Mass Murder on a grand scale.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yeah, the burden must weigh on them very heavily.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Living hell, DK.

Those poor folks have to deal with this and I feel for them greatly.

HH
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Living hell, DK.

Those poor folks have to deal with this and I feel for them greatly.

HH

+1. Include them as victims of this tragedy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Only thing his parents did wrong (if anything) was not take him to a shrink or notice that something might be wrong.

Because it seems all points are going towards that he was very mentally ill.....Paranoid Schizophrenic.

1. Warped "play" writing
3. Loaner
5. Mass Murder on a grand scale.

Yeah - and schizoid breaks often occur in the ealry 20s.

I had the misfortune to watch a promising 20 year-old go insane in my class.  He was experiencing a breakdown as I was watching, and eventually deteriorated over the course of a few days to needing to be hospitalized and heavily medicated.

He basically went totally insane.  Classic paranoid schizophrenia.

Tragic and awful.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#15]
You know, Im a parent of two kids, I cant imagine what the parents of the VT kids are going through, but, I think I could deal with that better, than having to deal with my son or daughter doing this to a group of people. That pain has got to be worse, at least for me it would be. I pray for all the parents.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Warped "play" writing
3. Loaner
5. Mass Murder on a grand scale.

Yeah - and schizoid breaks often occur in the ealry 20s.

I had the misfortune to watch a promising 20 year-old go insane in my class.  He was experiencing a breakdown as I was watching, and eventually deteriorated over the course of a few days to needing to be hospitalized and heavily medicated.

Tragic and awful.  

+1

You beat me to it, the late teens and early twenties is when a great many come down with schizophrenia, Bi-polar, and other mental illnesses.

The parents may not of recognized his symptoms, he may have acted much different around his parents and he also lived at the university thus his parents didn't see him everyday.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#17]
If the parents did all that they could do for the son, then I too pity them.  God help them if that "Shame" caused them to ignore or deny his mental illness and they did nothing.

This whole affair is a cryin shame.   God help them all.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Tragic and awful.  

Agreed, because when it goes undiagnosed/untreated.......P.S. can lead to a deadly outcome.

Just look at the case of Robert Hyde as one example, another terrible event.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If the parents did all that they could do for the son, then I too pity them.  God help them if that "Shame" caused them to ignore or deny his mental illness and they did nothing.

This whole affair is a cryin shame.   God help them all.

I think it is really tough for professional people to disagnose mental illness, and is not in the realm of ordinary, everyday people.  Personally, I would not be able to do it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Not me, can you explain it?
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know I dont

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

We don't yet really know if they were 'good' parents.  I think a lot will come out if and when some of his English writing projects are ever revealed to the public where he talks about physical and sexual abuse.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 9:53:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Well, yah.

news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=261805

Killer's parents hospitalised 'with shock'

Wednesday Apr 18 13:00 AEST
By ninemsn staff

The parents of mass killer Cho Seung-hi were hospitalised with shock and had not attempted suicide, contrary to reports in Korean media.

Korea's Yonhap news agency reported that Cho's parents, who ran a dry cleaning shop in Centreville, Virginia, had been hospitalised after learning of ther son's killing rampage at Virginia Tech University.

Rumours earlier spread through Korean media sources that Cho's parents had attempted suicide.

The Korea Herald, quoting Radio Korea in Los Angeles, reported that Cho's father tried to slash his wrists. His mother had reportedly swallowed a toxic drug.

Cho was a permanent resident of the US, who came there to live there with his parents in 1992.

His sister was a graduate of Princeton University, according to the Korea Times.

Utterly sad how a rumor can be shown as a truth. Radio Korea has been one of the utterly unreliable source for Korean community. And with that, The Korea Herald picked it up without verification, and now it is moving back to US.. This is a classical case of how a pseudo-media can fuck up a reporting.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#24]
One thing might help them. They should stop watching the news!
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I laughed.

I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I always wondered what people like Jeffery Dahmer's parents must go through. If I recall correctly, it's been some years, but I think I saw a brief interview with Dahmer's father one time. Naturally, he was as normal as one could get. I mean, it's not like cannibalism ran in the family.

Sometimes the apple falls far, far from the tree.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Now they look like assholes because their kid went berzerk. My heart goes out to them, too, because they have this as hard, or harder, than anybody.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#28]
"Tell a lie often enough and it become truth." Hitler minister of propaganda(I forget the man's name).
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
"Tell a lie often enough and it become truth." Hitler minister of propaganda(I forget the man's name).

Joseph Goebbels.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I laughed.

I'm sorry.

... +1

... In addition to 95% of the useless threads and responses posted on  ARFCOM relating to subject matter in the past 48 hours!
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I wonder if they were keeping this loon afloat with money from home? Where did he get the MONEY to buy over a grand worth of weaponry in just over a month???

If so? They should be driven into bankruptcy for financing terror.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

hahaa..

not the fan death
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I wonder if they were keeping this loon afloat with money from home? Where did he get the MONEY to buy over a grand worth of weaponry in just over a month???

If so, they should be driven into bankruptcy for financing terror.

The kid had no friends, no GF, didn't socialize....which means he didn't go to bars, go out to eat (restaurants), go to the movies, etc.

He probably was just given spending $, that mostly wasn't spent......and had the cash to buy guns.

Honestly, I somehow doubt his parents suspected anything was wrong.  If so, they turned a blind eye to it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

1. Warped "play" writing
3. Loaner
5. Hardly talked
6. Mass Murder on a grand scale.

Jobs in finance can be stressful.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Jobs in finance can be stressful.

Lol.....yeah I caught that but it was too late to change as it was quoted already.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The kid had no friends, no GF, didn't socialize....which means he didn't go to bars, go out to eat (restaurants), go to the movies, etc.

He probably was just given spending $, that mostly wasn't spent......and had the cash to buy guns.

Honestly, I somehow doubt his parents suspected anything was wrong.  If so, they turned a blind eye to it.

Problem transitioning to a new culture maybe? Came over at eight. Having to deal with a new value system, language. Continual conflicting values at home vs. outside world. Wasn't able to co-resolve them.  If the sexual/ physical abuse did occur somewhere in his family history would think that would add to the strong possiblity of his having a pyschotic episode.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:21:06 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Their son brought great shame to them, Far Eastern culture treats this a lot differently than our culture.

I concur,  i would not be shocked if they do not even have a funeral for him. Or if there was one they will not show up. Other cultures are all about respect and the  family name, he was disgrace to his family name they will most certainly disown him.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:25:34 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hahaa..

not the fan death

Ok, what's fan death??
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:25:44 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Fan death is no joke.....
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:32:25 AM EDT
[#41]
The Parents were not to blame

Looking at their other child, you see that these parents weren't bad! I mean, did YOUR kid work for the State Department after graduating from PRINCETON!?

Poor parents.

Cho's roommate told NPR in a interview that his mother took him aside and asked sincerely for him to help her son...

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:38:53 AM EDT
[#42]
What kind of Korean male becomes an English student?

Did he wash out of Engineering?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:40:26 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know I dont

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death

So if you murder someone in South Korea, just leave a fan running and seal the room.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:43:03 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

That is soooooo wrong!!!

Korean 'Oxygen Thief'
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:50:37 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

If so? They should be driven into bankruptcy for financing terror.

are you serious?

If it is shown that they were giving their son money and he used that money to buy the weapons, you really believe that they should somehow be punished worse than they are being punished by their own thoughts and emotions right now?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:52:04 AM EDT
[#46]
We need more foreigners. They make good citizens.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:54:44 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We don't yet really know if they were 'good' parents.  I think a lot will come out if and when some of his English writing projects are ever revealed to the public where he talks about physical and sexual abuse.

His sister seems to be fairly successful, a Princeton graduate. I'm giving the parents the benefit of the doubt until evidence is presented otherwise.

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:57:06 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Saaayyy..isn't that some famous ARFcommer's method for aquiring many FA toys?...[/tasteless comment]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:02:26 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
We need more foreigners. They make good citizens.

yeah, we actually do, given that most top 50 science and engineering programs in America are majority indian, chinese, and other random nationality researchers... Who else does 180+ IQ work for shit pay?

At least no indians have done anything bad yet, meaning they can remain picture perfect people, like the white and black people who have been here since the 1700s.

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:04:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top