Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2007 2:43:33 PM EDT
What's your favorite method?  Do you marinate it?  What temperature setting and for how long?

Nothing in Search or Archives.

Having family over next week and I want them to be good.  They are all Loin.  Might have some backstrap which I'll probably wrap with bacon and grill like a Filet Mignon.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't take my eyes off the strap while on the grill. It cooks too fast.
I usually use a Mesquite marrinad for 45 minutes then grill till pink and juicy in the middle. Wrap in bacon is also a great way. Man this is making me hungry!
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you have to draw down on the pan before cooking the meat.

Tagged.

A friend of mine almost got himself a free deer on Sunday.  His motorcycle probably would have been seriously damaged, but the meat would have been welcome.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Make sure they are thawed completely. Went to a wild game supper last year and their was a whole plater of backstraps but the inside was not even rare, I still think they were cooked before thawed all the way through.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I would do a sprinkling of garlic and black pepper....in the final minute or two, add a liberal coating of pepper jelly.
Yummmmm!
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Cook them at most medium rare.

ETA:When you say "loin" are you are talking about the meat that is next to the spine, shaped like a tube, this has been cut into "chops"?

When you say "Backstrap" are you are talking about the tenderloins?

I have always understood that Steak comes from the hindquarters and Chops come from the Loin.

Link Posted: 4/17/2007 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't make steaks from deer, it's too lean to make a decent steak IMHO (I like marbled ribeyes).

Backstraps are very tasty if marinated properly and then grilled medium rare are you would any other "loin".
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I marinate my venison in KC Masterpiece Hickory and Spice Marinade.  Then I put it on the grill after it's as hot as I can get it.  Gets crispy on the outside and tender in the middle and DELICIOUS, especially with skin-on garlic mashed, steamed green beans, sourdough bread, and a robust red wine.

Now I'm drooling.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't do a thing, just sear the outside to lock in the juices and cook the inside slowly, been doing it that way for 15 years.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

ETA:When you say "loin" are you are talking about the meat that is next to the spine, shaped like a tube, this has been cut into "chops"?

I have always understood that Steak comes from the hindquarters and Chops come from the Loin.

Backstrap is the tube from the back, adjacent to the spinal column.  The most tender.

I believe my processor is labeling the steaks from the hind quarters "Loin".

Lots of good ideas.  Keep em coming!

Especially interested in marinades and length of time to marinate them.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Marinate the meat, thawed, cut and patted dry, for 6-8 hours in the following:

1/2 cup veggie oil (corn or light olive is good)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
1 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
Mix well

Let the meat and the marinade come to room temp the last 2 hours.

Ensure the grill has a very hot side and a medium hot side.  Take the steaks out of the marinade and place them on the very hot side of the grill.  Let the meat grill on that side until it is very dark brown then flip and brown the other side.

When both sides are browned, move the meat to the medium hot side of the grill, first side down.  Cover and let cook for another 5-6 minutes depending on thickness.  Take them off the grill and let rest for 10 minutes before serving/cutting.  Medium rare should be the max of desired doneness.  Your oven, preheated to 350F, can be used as the medium hot side of the grill if space is a factor.

Good luck!

ETA:  You might want to practice with 1 steak the day before the party.      

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Backstrap is the tube from the back, adjacent to the spinal column.  The most tender.

Well the Tenderloin is the most tender part of the deer.

These should be cut out of the deer ASAP or they can dry up.

The steaks from the Hindquarters should not be called Loin, they are steaks, usually they are not the greatest tasting, since venison is so lean.

The backstraps are the best for making Chops, anatomically these are the loin.  Think about pork chops, they are cut from the pork loin.

Anyway, Venison Chops are best grilled over high heat, cut them no more than medium rare.

For the Steaks from the hindquarters grilling works as well, but cook to no more than medium rare otherwise they will be dry and tough.

Lawrys makes a Citrus marinade that is good, their Garlic and Lime marinade is also good.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:15:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well the Tenderloin is the most tender part of the deer.

These should be cut out of the deer ASAP or they can dry up.

The steaks from the Hindquarters should not be called Loin, they are steaks, usually they are not the greatest tasting, since venison is so lean.

The backstraps are the best for making Chops, anatomically these are the loin.  Think about pork chops, they are cut from the pork loin.

Anyway, Venison Chops are best grilled over high heat, cut them no more than medium rare.

For the Steaks from the hindquarters grilling works as well, but cook to no more than medium rare otherwise they will be dry and tough.

Lawrys makes a Citrus marinade that is good, their Garlic and Lime marinade is also good.

Mental note - loan XD my AUG for a while, and use the time to get his contacts to send me steak...

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds great!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top