Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2001 9:32:32 AM EDT
Is it legal to purchase Kevlar Armor?  I live in Commiefornia (surprised they haven't banned bb-guns yet).

Anyone know the issue of buying kevlar?  Also, can anyone point me to a website that explains the different levels of kevlar?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about California, but in Oklahoma I had to show my commission card in order to purchase my vest.

Ian
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Things may have changed but you should be able to get a vest anywhere in Kali. The rules may vary with certain Counties. Kevlar and Spectra vests are available in many catalogs. Spectra fiber is just Kevlar embedded in a resin which deflects most of the impact force horizontally instead of straight into your body.

Class 2 vests will be effective up to .357mag, Class 3A up to .44mag and 12 gauge slug, True Class 3 up will hold up to 7.62 Nato ball. I think Class 4 will stand up to 7.62 AP.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#4]
For US Govt. info re: body armor standards either

click on: [url]www.ncjrs.org/pdffiles1/nij/183651.pdf[/url] and download file

or go to: [url]www.ncjrs.org/viewall.html[/url] then go to: Law Enforcement, then: police equipment, then: Ballistic Resistance of Personal Body Armor. 2000, NCJ 183651.

Both give you the exact same document
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Wouldn't your internals be mush even if the vest stopped a 12ga slug? I can just see the slug pushing the vest through the body, but never penetrating the vest.
View Quote

Not necessarily. That's the beauty of Spectra fiber, it is designed to radiate energy sideways. Just like Lexan glass, instead of just stopping the bullet, it also directs it's energy sideways away from the trajectory. With a 12g slug, you may still get some broken ribs if you are hit in the right place.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Uh Sodie--

You are definitely right that Spectra-shield vests have a resin coating around fibers which redirects the impact of projectiles.

But Spectra by Allied Signal is not the same as DuPont's Kevlar, even from a chemical standpoint.  Spectra is a polyethylene fiber, which I guess makes it not that different chemically from the ubiquitous plastic shopping bag.  

Kevlar, like Nomex, belongs to the Aramid family of fibers.  It is a "poly para-phenyleneterephthalamide, and it is more properly known as a para-aramid. Aramids belong to the family of nylons."

I have no idea which is better, but looking at a swatch of Spectra shield, that stuff has to be UNCOMFORTABLE, as in vapor barrier.  

Cheers
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#7]
No, it's not that much more uncomfortable. It is slightly stiffer than Kevlar. It also may not breath as well as Kevlar but my vest does have some kind of gore-tex type covering that helps to wick/absorb sweat. I wouldn't say that kevlar is any less heat insulating. Any extra clothing around your torso will trap heat, especially if worn close to the body.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top